Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shep #4 KR in NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: October 03, 2006, 02:44:08 PM

Just to add a little perspective to Edell's numbers:

So far, his kick returns have only been against two teams, Miami and Indianapolis. As it turns out, both Miami and Indianapolis are among the very worst teams in the league on kick coverage, ranked 30th and 28th in that category in the NFL, respectively.

While Baltimore is down there as well, Carolina is much better against kick returns than Miami or Indianapolis, and Atlanta just happens to be #1 in the entire league in defending kick returns.

The Bucs are #18 overall in the NFL in punt returns, while Houston is ranked 27th in the league in that department. The Bucs are ranked #18 in the NFL in kick returns as well, while Houston is ranked 12th in the league in that statistic despite Edell having a personal number that is higher.

Finally, in defending against kick returns, Tampa Bay ranks 7th overall in the NFL, while Houston is at 12th. The Bucs are 18th in the league in defending against punt returns, while Houston is way down at #27 overall.

So while Edell's numbers stand out on an individual basis, when you get inside the numbers, it is easier to see that both special teams units are pretty comparable, with the exception of Houston's pretty awful punt return defense.

Still, I would consider Joe Marciano who coaches special teams for the Texans a slightly better ST coach than Biasaccia, though there isn't a huge gap between the two guys. The biggest difference is that Joe gets in guys faces a lot, while Rich doesn't.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 03, 2006, 11:59:16 AM

Rank Player                  Team Rets Yds   Avg   LG TDs
4       Edell Shepherd    HOU   8      225  28.1  42  0
28     Michael Pittman   TB      12     260  21.7  27  0

[banghead]

creekchub00

Starter

#2 : October 03, 2006, 12:04:12 PM

Do they use a wedge in Houston does anyone know?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 03, 2006, 12:08:45 PM

All you Edell haters must love life now...

I miss the guy, the Bucs should have never have cut him.  Period.

creekchub00

Starter

#4 : October 03, 2006, 12:11:33 PM

He was the number 4 WR on our depth chart, and 5 when we kept Boston I think. He wasn't going to get much playing time period!

buckit

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 03, 2006, 12:18:55 PM

I didn't even realize he'd been cut.  Bad move, IMO. [banghead]

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 03, 2006, 12:13:56 PM

He was the number 4 WR on our depth chart, and 5 when we kept Boston I think. He wasn't going to get much playing time period!

Sure, but he was cut at the expense of one guy that is no longer with the team, and one guy that has been inactive.  Where is the value in that?  The fact that he was snatched up instantly, whereas Boston is still on the couch should say something.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 03, 2006, 12:30:43 PM

Wow, has there been any good news this year?  Can't remember a time when there was good news, oh yes the minute before kickoff this year.  That was a good time.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 03, 2006, 12:35:16 PM

Wow, has there been any good news this year?  Can't remember a time when there was good news, oh yes the minute before kickoff this year.  That was a good time.

I have some good news.............tomorrow is put the Mother-In-Law on a plane day.   ;D

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 03, 2006, 12:46:50 PM

Remember kids, we kept Paris Warren for his special teams skills. Where's he rank on kick and punt returns? Oh, right, he doesn't actually do that.

???[banghead]

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 03, 2006, 12:48:15 PM

I have some good news.............tomorrow is put the Mother-In-Law on a plane day. ;D

I can't wait either, you've been a little too cranky since she's been here... ;D

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#11 : October 03, 2006, 12:49:25 PM

Remember the last time Edell returned a KR for us? Just because he is having success in Houston doesn't mean he'd be worth a damn here. He had his chances and he didn't take advantage.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 03, 2006, 12:50:42 PM

Remember the last time Edell returned a KR for us? Just because he is having success in Houston doesn't mean he'd be worth a damn here. He had his chances and he didn't take advantage.

On the flip side just because he's human and has one gaf, we give up a top ten returner this year...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 03, 2006, 12:56:00 PM

So you are saying we have a coaching problem on Special Teams?  I wouldn't disagree with that!

#14 : October 03, 2006, 12:58:46 PM

So you are saying we have a coaching problem on Special Teams?
Are YOU saying I point out the obvious? ;)
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shep #4 KR in NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools