Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shep #4 KR in NFL « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : October 03, 2006, 01:01:23 PM

When I think of all the players the Bucs have had on their roster that are succeeding with other teams................................

spartan

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 03, 2006, 01:02:56 PM

While I am on a 'lets beat up the coaches' streak, I do recall how TB brag how they do KR's different than other teams. Let people find the holes in a more fluid and dynamic manner etc. Gee,  if we are the only team that hasn't returned a KR for a TD and we do things differently than everybody else .........

gone

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 03, 2006, 01:08:40 PM

Special teams coaching sucks.  Has for a while and I don't see it changing soon.  But we are starting to pick up in blocked kicks, so that's a plus, albeit a minor one.

#18 : October 03, 2006, 01:56:27 PM

Special teams coaching sucks.  Has for a while and I don't see it changing soon.  But we are starting to pick up in blocked kicks, so that's a plus, albeit a minor one.

Personally, I'd consider that a big one Caradoc, right in front of blocked punt.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 03, 2006, 03:23:12 PM

That's what I love about you guys, he couldn't just be doing well, he has to have been doing well against two bad teams... ;)

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 03, 2006, 03:29:01 PM

That's what I love about you guys, he couldn't just be doing well, he has to have been doing well against two bad teams... ;)

Well, you can either have the whole picture or only part of it. Personally, I like Edell and wished he wouldn't have been cut.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 03, 2006, 03:37:50 PM

That wasn't an indictment, just an observation. 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

BucsNBullsBaby

Second String

#22 : October 03, 2006, 05:12:49 PM

Good for Edell!

That said, the coaches made their decision for a reason.  He had his shots here and it didn't work out for him.  I wish all former Bucs (well, most - alright, some of them) well after they leave.

This will be a moot point when Pitt makes history with not only one, but 2 KO returns for td's on Thanksgiving!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 03, 2006, 05:16:53 PM

Good for Edell!

That said, the coaches made their decision for a reason. He had his shots here and it didn't work out for him. I wish all former Bucs (well, most - alright, some of them) well after they leave.

This will be a moot point when Pitt makes history with not only one, but 2 KO returns for td's on Thanksgiving!

Hopefully Texas Stadium has freshly mowed grass that day   8)

InChuckyITrust

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 03, 2006, 06:53:39 PM

Let him fumble a KO in OT and drop a game winning pass for someone else.  Good riddance.

"there are no medals here for who can stay at the office the longest," said Jagodzinski. "I'm not into that. The guys that brag about working till 2 in the morning, in my opinion, they're just not smart enough. "

18,2,25,13 ... murderers row?

I support coach Calhoun and his salary

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 03, 2006, 08:26:27 PM

When you see players like this go elsewhere and have success.  You have to ask yourself two questions....

1.  Can Muir and Bissacia evaluate players?  So far there is very little in their favor.  I mean the idea to put Pittman for kick returns was Pittman's idea as well as Gruden's not Bissacia's.

2. Are their schemes good enough?  Apparently no when Edell Shepperd is in the top five so far in KR (Boy do I miss Marciano as he is doing an excellent job in Houston as a special teams coach).

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 03, 2006, 08:50:52 PM

(Boy do I miss Marciano as he is doing an excellent job in Houston as a special teams coach).

Well, the numbers this season for Houston and Tampa Bay are comparable so far, so would you say that Biasaccia is doing an excellent job as well?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 03, 2006, 09:05:56 PM

Well, the numbers this season for Houston and Tampa Bay are comparable so far, so would you say that Biasaccia is doing an excellent job as well?

There is a big difference with a kick return average of 28.1 and 21.7.  Not to mention it was Pittman's and Gruden's idea to have him do kick returns. To answer the question.  Definately no.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 03, 2006, 09:18:35 PM

There is a big difference with a kick return average of 28.1 and 21.7.  Not to mention it was Pittman's and Gruden's idea to have him do kick returns. To answer the question.  Definately no.

Well, you're talking about the difference between individual player stats. I thought you were talking about the coaches here. Overall KO returns have Houston averaging 23.4 (12th overall) and Tampa Bay averaging 22.0 (18th). On punt returns, Tampa Bay is averaging 8.0 (16th in the NFL) and Houston 6.0 (26th in the league).

Of course, TB's averages are against better special teams units (including the #1 overall in the league) while Houston's numbers were amassed against much lesser competition.

LordJim

Pro Bowler

#29 : October 03, 2006, 09:27:18 PM

Holy hell, guys.  Edell has 8 returns, with a 45 yarder.  It doesn't take a mathmatician to figure out that that screws up the averages something fierce.  In fact, with only five fewer returns last year, Pittman had a 28.3 average.  Oh wait, that puts him at three returns, instead of the whopping eight that Edell has had....

Bottom line, if you like Edell, for whatever reason, this is another reason to be mad at the coaching staff, sort of like a Creationist seizing upon the discovery that the DNA of bats and horses is closer than that of horses and cows as being dispositive of evolution.    I personally don't care about him either way; he had his chance here and failed.  Talk to me when he's had the 55 or 60 returns that a starting NFL kickoff returner will experience over the course of a season that will eliminate the impact of the outliers. 
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Shep #4 KR in NFL « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools