Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Favorite memories of Dandy Don « previous next »
Page: 1

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
: December 07, 2010, 09:10:21 AM

Back before the Bucs ever existed football fans in Florida had their options. We could root for any team or player we wanted. Don Meredith was a special player on a really bad team. Tom Landry was just getting started with the Cowboys and they were lacking talent everywhere. Dandy Don had played all season with several nagging injuries, including cracked ribs and broken fingers if I remember correctly. The team was playing at home, losing badly (like 35-10) late in the fourth quarter, and the crowd was booing them. They were on their own ten yard line, or thereabouts. Meredith had taken a beating all night, and he took the snap, dropped back, flipped the ball straight up in the air, and trotted off the field. He left 21 guys scrambling for the ball. I would love to have been there to hear the next conversation he had with Tom Landry. I can just imagine he was singing "Turn out the lights, the party's over...." on his way to the sideline.

The man had limited success as a player, but found his niche at knocking the wind out of the sails of that pompous a$$ Howard Cossell. Monday Night Football was a must see event, and they always had a game as well. It was never the same after Don Meredith left. The man had a great sense of humor, and I always had the sense that he was a great friend to everyone who knew him.

It's a sad loss for the human race.

bucshot420

Starter

#1 : December 07, 2010, 11:31:50 AM

As a child growing up we had satellite tv and back then it wasn't the network version, we would get the direct feed from the stadium, so when they would cut to commercial they would typically go back to the camera in the booth.  Anyway one of my first football memories as a young child in the mid 80's was a Monday night game and Dandy Don was having technical difficulties with his microphone during the whole first quarter of the game.  So they cut to commercial break and Cossell is getting his make-up touched up and Dandy Don is throwing a fit, He threw his microphone as hard as he could,screaming "get this piece of **CENSORED** out of here,and get me something that works"a minute later a booth tech comes running in with a new mic and they come back from commercial and he was as cool as he was before the break,like nothing ever happened.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#2 : December 07, 2010, 04:45:18 PM

I remember seeing him the passenger waiting area at Dallas Lovefield when I was a kid. Dandy Don was old looking back then.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 08, 2010, 08:21:48 AM

I would have thought more people here would have had memories of Don Meredith. Maybe most here are just too young.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Favorite memories of Dandy Don « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools