Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will PR React? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

FreeWill

Starter

#15 : December 12, 2010, 06:32:52 PM

I cannot get over how hard it is for people to understand this. 12 - 10 = 2. NOT 3.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 12, 2010, 06:35:25 PM

Look at the 9 second mark in the vid to where the ref who is asking for the ball after the play is standing. It's more than 10 yards from where the play started.

No it isn't, but you're still missing the overall point.  The official marker on the sideline was at the three.  It should have been at the two.  The officials gave the first down based on the faulty marker at the three.  The officials screwed up.

donny77

Starter
#17 : December 12, 2010, 06:36:20 PM

The sticks are clearly showing a first down at the 3.  The ball looks to be at the between the 12 and 13 yard lines at the snap.  Looks like the officials gave them a weird spot, or the center moved the ball a half yard forward or so when he got in his stance.  Downs were handled correctly though.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 12, 2010, 06:37:28 PM

Isn't there a 10 yard chain between the LOS and first down posts?  The first down marker was 9 yards away.  How is that possible?

FreeWill

Starter

#19 : December 12, 2010, 06:39:30 PM

Isn't there a 10 yard chain between the LOS and first down posts?  The first down marker was 9 yards away.  How is that possible?

It obviously shrunk.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 12, 2010, 06:40:52 PM

The first down marker was 9 yards away.

That was the whole problem.

donny77

Starter
#21 : December 12, 2010, 06:40:56 PM

No it isn't, but you're still missing the overall point.  The official marker on the sideline was at the three.  It should have been at the two.  The officials gave the first down based on the faulty marker at the three.  The officials screwed up.

If Fox and the OFFICIALS are different the OFFICIALS are correct, even if they are wrong.  That is the definition.  What you are arguing is they spotted the ball wrong, they may have.  However, the downs were 100% correct.  The official first down marker is 100% correct.  The spot of the ball on 1st and "10" is questionable.  The play resulting in 10 yards is questionable.  This is a result of the spot though, NOT the markers.

CTGuyton

Second String

#22 : December 12, 2010, 06:43:11 PM

the chains we're able to see in the video are the unofficial one. they just mimic the ones on the near sideline which have the chain and are official. So we can't really judge anything unless we're able to see a camera from the other side of the field.

It looks to me that the ball was spotted at about the 12.5 yd line and he clearly made it to the 2.5 with the catch. With out a view of the official sticks though, the whole conversation is moot.

donny77

Starter
#23 : December 12, 2010, 06:44:11 PM

Look at the video.  The first down marker is CLEARLY at the 13 yard line.  The side judge is standing on the 12 yard line.  The Side judge should be looking down the LOS to see offsides.  Not sure if that is normal position or not, seeing as he can't really stand in the same spot as the down marker and be out of the way or a sideline route.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 12, 2010, 06:50:34 PM

If Fox and the OFFICIALS are different the OFFICIALS are correct, even if they are wrong.  That is the definition.  What you are arguing is they spotted the ball wrong, they may have.  However, the downs were 100% correct.  The official first down marker is 100% correct.  The spot of the ball on 1st and "10" is questionable.  The play resulting in 10 yards is questionable.  This is a result of the spot though, NOT the markers.

Take Fox and their yellow line out of the equation.  The Redskins had the ball at the 12.  The sideline marker was erroneously at the 3.  The official first down marker was not 100% correct, it was only 90% correct.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue this fact.

CTGuyton

Second String

#25 : December 12, 2010, 06:53:10 PM

Take Fox and their yellow line out of the equation.  The Redskins had the ball at the 12.  The sideline marker was erroneously at the 3.  The official first down marker was not 100% correct, it was only 90% correct.

They didn't have the ball at the 12. It was at the 12 and a half.. The 1st was not given at the 3.. it was given at the 2 and a half.  Yards are actually rather long units of measure, it's almost impossible to get something on the exact yard line.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 12, 2010, 06:59:05 PM

When I first saw that play on tv, I thought they were going to give him the TD after he got up and ran into the endzone because it was questionable whether he was even touched after making the catch;  however, the refs called the play down and gave him a favorable spot which looked to be past where the 1st down marker was.

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#27 : December 12, 2010, 07:00:21 PM

They didn't have the ball at the 12. It was at the 12 and a half.. The 1st was not given at the 3.. it was given at the 2 and a half.  Yards are actually rather long units of measure, it's almost impossible to get something on the exact yard line.

Are you related to one of these officials or something?  12 and a half to 2 and a half is questionable at best.  Not even questionable, just horrible....

donny77

Starter
#28 : December 12, 2010, 07:00:33 PM

Because the posted YouTube video doesn't show the prior play.  You are saying the first down marker is wrong, I am saying the spot of the ball on first down was wrong.  One means they got too many downs, the other means they got a free half yard, which isn't all that uncommon in the course of a game.  See the difference?

How many times do you see a center move the ball forward before snapping the ball, I think the officials spotted the ball a half yard off and the center moved it forward making it look like a whole yard off.  Without seeing the previous play again, I couldn't really say either way.

FreeWill

Starter

#29 : December 12, 2010, 07:01:00 PM

I just watched the highlights of the game on a major sports channel up here in Canada, and they showed the 5 downs. The commentator actually mentioned it a couple times. Since they have no ties to the NFL I guess they can question it without any consequence.

And also, this is just speculation, but does anyone else find it kind of odd that the redskins ended up covering the spread with the 5 downs they were given?

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will PR React? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools