Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here's some info for all of you trying to squash the 5th down... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 13, 2010, 12:06:40 PM

Problem with all your expert analysis snooki is that you're still looking at the UNOFFICIAL down markers.  They are unofficial because they put the ra-tards on that side of the field and sometimes they don't mark it properly....it was however marked and measured properly from the near sideline officially and both Raheem and the NFL say just a mistake that people are blowing out of proportion and are flat out wrong about.    You can watch that replay a million times from a million angles but you won't find one that shows the near side markers which are official.  Until then can everyone please just let it go and enjoy the win?   Seriously what the hell is wrong with Bucs fans these days.   First you complain about no wins then when they come it's not good enough you have to win in fashion and make a conspiracy out of a mistake.   Bottom line is the Bucs didn't play good enough to make that drive meaningless but they did play good enough to let the Skins piss it away.  I'll take it.  Wish the rest of you would too.

What are you talking about?

Open your eyes.  1st down is at the TWELVE yard line. 

McNabb's pass on 1st down is LESS THAN TEN YARDS.

I don't need to see "official" markers to know that a play isn't even close to ten yards.

^^^^ this!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 13, 2010, 12:07:28 PM

Problem with all your expert analysis snooki is that you're still looking at the UNOFFICIAL down markers.

Screw the markers, look at the ball and where the sideline official is standing.  The ball was spotted on the 12.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 13, 2010, 12:12:50 PM

Thank you, Biggs.

This isn't rocket science. 

Look at this buffoon's blog:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/FOX-announcers-believed-Redskins-scored-on-a-fit?urn=nfl-294884

"With the Redskins down seven points and driving for the equalizing score, the team gained a first down at the three-yard line after a Donovan McNabb(notes) pass to Anthony Armstrong(notes). The FOX booth, unaware that the play resulted in a first, believed the next play was second-and-1 instead of first-and-goal."

First down at the three yard line?  Interesting. 

Perfect example of someone eating up the crap the NFL spoon feeds to them. 

Too bad the picture of 1st and 10 at the twelve removes ANY doubt this was a big time screw-up.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#33 : December 13, 2010, 12:16:34 PM

I really hate how the 100,000 camera's have created a sense of Ref's micromanaging the game. I find that the calls usually even themselves out on both sides, and the team who plays best typically wins the game. Definitely getting sick of the miromanaging of the game.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 13, 2010, 12:18:36 PM

You all keep saying look at the ball on the 12!!! like OMGZ!!  While I keep saying yeah the spot was fubar.....which is the same thing and you're still focused on the markers which are clearly not right but since you can't actually see the OFFICIAL ones you can't say that the got it right on the official side and were just working off the initial bad spot.    I don't know what's hard to understand about that but apparently it's very difficult for some.   Funny how your link is just guys saying the same thing as me lol 

"It's silly to keep debating this. If Morris objected to the ref's decision granting a first down, he should have used a timeout and stated his case to the officials right then. He didn't, so there isn't anything left to discuss other than Fox's embarrasing screw-up."

"If the defense wasn't a sieve we wouldn't be taking about this at all"

Snook

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 13, 2010, 12:23:24 PM

You all keep saying look at the ball on the 12!!! like OMGZ!!  While I keep saying yeah the spot was fubar.....which is the same thing and you're still focused on the markers which are clearly not right but since you can't actually see the OFFICIAL ones you can't say that the got it right on the official side and were just working off the initial bad spot.    I don't know what's hard to understand about that but apparently it's very difficult for some.   Funny how your link is just guys saying the same thing as me lol 

"It's silly to keep debating this. If Morris objected to the ref's decision granting a first down, he should have used a timeout and stated his case to the officials right then. He didn't, so there isn't anything left to discuss other than Fox's embarrasing screw-up."

So the pictures are lying?  The ball is at the 12, smart guy.

Where should the Redskins have lined up on 1st down? 

In order for the Redskins to get a first down at the 3 yard line (like that blog says), then 1st and 10 would've started at the 13.  See the picture again if you're so confused.  HINT:  Its at the 12.

12-3=9 yards. 

Difficult huh?

Snook

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 13, 2010, 12:25:36 PM

Thought you were done here:

Get it going 15 pages I don't care anymore.  I just won't open anything with 5 DOWNS OMGZ! type crap in the title.   Enjoy your bickering boys.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 13, 2010, 12:26:09 PM

You all keep saying look at the ball on the 12!!! like OMGZ!!  While I keep saying yeah the spot was fubar

You're still missing the point.  The spot isn't in question.  The refs spotted the ball where they should have spotted it.  The error is that they granted a first down based on an erroneous sideline marker.

You can argue this all day if you want to.  The problem for you is the Redskins were given a first down for going 9 yards, and that isn't up for debate.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 13, 2010, 12:29:32 PM

This really isn't that hard of a process to figure out. Let me lay it out for you.

The 1st down play started at the 12. The line to gain was at the 3, according to those markers. Doesn't matter if they are the "official ones" or not (which they are, as exhibited by the orange pad on the ground). That would mean it was 1st and 9... not 1st and 10.

Armstrong catches the ball, for a gain of 9. What do ya know? The markers, only stretching 9 yards, indicate Armstrong gets the first down! When he was clearly a YARD short of the actual TEN YARD mark (which would be the 2 yard line)... ultimately giving the Redskins an extra down.

I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. You seem to be the only one that doesn't get it.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 13, 2010, 12:35:32 PM

I love how the idiots who can't figure this out just say "Enjoy the win!"

I did enjoy the win.  I just can't figure out why Washington got a first down after going only 9 yards. 

I wonder if their tune would be different if the Bucs had gone on to lose in OT. 

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 13, 2010, 12:45:34 PM

it only gets worse when it matches the vegas odds exactly....17-16...there punter told to miss the catch?

JayAuggs

Pro Bowler
#41 : December 13, 2010, 12:48:04 PM

I said this on the Insider's board, but I'll repeat it here.

If, and only if, this is simply a questionable spot, then how was there no automatic booth review?  How is Raheem not up in arms over a bad spot?  I'll tell you, its because the first down was mis-marked at the 3 yard line.  It wasn't a full 10 yards, and the only way the guy "appeared" to get a first down w/o a booth review would be if the official marker had been placed at the 3.  Anywhere else, like the 2 and a half or 2, and there HAS to be a booth review in that situation, and if its anywhere close, you better believe Raheem IS making a fuss about it.  But it was incorrectly at the 3, and if at the 3, then it does look like an easy first down for Armstrong which is the only logical reason why there would be no booth review, and no further comments from the Bucs or even PR.

It will be interesting to see if any responses change once the coaches have a chance to review the game tape and see that the markers were in fact at 9 yards.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 13, 2010, 12:57:15 PM

The sad thing is...the NFL is forcing us to watch endless replays of a Dolphins player RUNNING OUT OF BOUNDS get knock on his @$$.. but NOTHING is being said of the Redskins Travesty.

BuccaNova

Starter
#43 : December 13, 2010, 01:02:19 PM

There's a thread over on extremeskins titled:     " A Silver Lining to Today's Game...McNabb is the best 5th down QB in the league!" So they seem to think they lucked out on that one, too.

I think they got the gift of a good spot. Not an extra down. Even it it had cost us the game, nothing would come of it from the league except, at most...and extremely doubtfully...one of those 'bummer' letters to the team from Periera's bunch. Nothing would change. And we won. Plenty of real things to get your panties in a twist over.  Rain or not, win or lose, we need some sort of remedial tackling instruction.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#44 : December 13, 2010, 01:51:24 PM

I love how the idiots who can't figure this out just say "Enjoy the win!"

I believe only an idiot would be debating the legitimacy of a play that ended up having NO impact on the final outcome of the game. If the Skins get 10 Free plays and score on the 10th one, but still lose by a point in regulation, then who gives a rip! ENJOY THE WIN! There is plenty to be concerned about from that game, but this play simply isn't one of them for me.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Here's some info for all of you trying to squash the 5th down... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools