Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why people are making 5th down a big deal « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Hate

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 14, 2010, 07:47:16 PM

Watch the replay for yourself

Its really that simple.

On the other hand, both sidelines were informed that the Armstrong catch was a first down.

If that is correct then Raheem did a poor job of coaching....

I disagree with that. It was under 2 mins so he can't challenge the spot.

His two options were to argue the spot or coach his defense to stop them. He chose to coach. Thankfully, karma came thru in the end.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 14, 2010, 08:35:11 PM

Ok, let's try this one more time for all the crybaby conspiracy theorists out there. Let's say that the pass on 1st down at the 12 only went 9 yards and the refs did NOT give them a 1st down and the bonus yard. So now it would be 2nd down and 1 at the 3. They in essence would have had 3 plays to move it 1 yard and 4 more plays to punch it in from the 2 rather than as it played out. Would you have rather they had 7 more plays than 4? Think about it.

They couldn't move it one yard in the next three plays they had, so I'm not sure how much validity there is to your point.  As a matter of fact, they went backwards in those three plays with 2 incomplete passes and a run for a 4-yard loss.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 14, 2010, 09:50:25 PM

Some people don't seem to understand why its a big deal well ill explain it then.

It's a big deal because it could of lost us the game. Yeah I know it didn't lose us the game but the point is it very well could have cost us a possible playoff spot and that is why it's a big deal.

We just want the NFL to take notice of this mistake so it hopefully won't happen again and maybe they will do something about officials (wishful thinking).

Ok, let's try this one more time for all the crybaby conspiracy theorists out there. Let's say that the pass on 1st down at the 12 only went 9 yards and the refs did NOT give them a 1st down and the bonus yard. So now it would be 2nd down and 1 at the 3. They in essence would have had 3 plays to move it 1 yard and 4 more plays to punch it in from the 2 rather than as it played out. Would you have rather they had 7 more plays than 4? Think about it.

After getting it to the 3(which was only a first down because the Redskins got a 1st and 9 gift from the refs), they didn't go forward. So if the refs knew how to count to 10, they would have only had 4 downs and wouldn't have scored a TD.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 14, 2010, 09:56:38 PM

They couldn't move it one yard in the next three plays they had, so I'm not sure how much validity there is to your point.  As a matter of fact, they went backwards in those three plays with 2 incomplete passes and a run for a 4-yard loss.

I'm guessing if they only needed 1 yd to pick up another 1st down, they would have attempted 3 running plays rather than 2 pass attempts.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 14, 2010, 10:04:02 PM

Gotta throw it in that spot.

Whether it's referred to as a fifth down or not....there were mistakes made by the crew.

The ball was not spotted correctly. I don't mean just in where it was spotted but the official who's duty is to run in and spot the ball immediately did not do so. The ball ended up being flipped around and eventually ended up on the 2 1/2 yard line.

The far side 1st down marker was misplaced. Now it's possible the chain (on the near side where we cannot see) is pulled to 10 yards and that the referee just, in his haste, misread whether it was a first down or not without a measurement to ensure the clock kept moving. Either way...it was a screwup .

Raheem couldn't challenge...as pointed out by hate. He could have called timeout to mention it to the officials however whether that would have gotten a review or not is not certain. All he may have ended up doing is stopping the clock for no real reason giving the skins a chance to line up more comfortably.

The League really should have addressed it in terms of proper procedures not being used and mistakes were made resulting it those procedures.
I'm guessing if they only needed 1 yd to pick up another 1st down, they would have attempted 3 running plays rather than 2 pass attempts.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 14, 2010, 10:10:00 PM

We can sit here and guess about things all day long, but they were 2 yards away from paydirt and threw the ball.  And then when they did try to run it, they lost 4.  They didn't have much success on the ground in the 2nd half.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#21 : December 15, 2010, 10:26:03 AM

Chaos tries so hard and keeps coming up short.

The fact of the matter is it was a human error most likely compounded not only by the refs but by the side judges/ chain crew in  really **CENSORED**ty weather conditions. Life goes on. Even thought the official answer is that everything is honky dory I'd be floored if they havent addressed this, or plan to, internally with all parties involved.

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#22 : December 15, 2010, 08:44:58 PM

PR covered this several times already. There was no 5th down. At worst the officials are guilty of not reviewing a close spot inside 2 minutes.
Which ref signaled first down with an outstretched arm? I'll bet you can not tell me, because none of them signaled 1st down.

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 15, 2010, 10:57:21 PM

And the clock would of showed 3 big zeros!

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 15, 2010, 11:00:24 PM

PR covered this several times already. There was no 5th down. At worst the officials are guilty of not reviewing a close spot inside 2 minutes.
Which ref signaled first down with an outstretched arm? I'll bet you can not tell me, because none of them signaled 1st down.

bingo!

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 15, 2010, 11:24:35 PM

You wouldn't have seen it if they did anyway since the TV showed all sorts of crowd shots and Mike Shanahan. When they came back to the play on the field, the skins were already lined up, the chains were down and the box said 1st down.

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#26 : December 15, 2010, 11:30:19 PM

You wouldn't have seen it if they did anyway since the TV showed all sorts of crowd shots and Mike Shanahan. When they came back to the play on the field, the skins were already lined up, the chains were down and the box said 1st down.
That's crap. They didn't measure, so why the delayed call? According to the VP of officiating they knew immediately that Wash had gotten the 1st down. They show the tackle, the refs running in and getting the ball and spotting it, yet none of them signaled 1st down. Then they panned the crowd and Shanny.

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

CTGuyton

Second String

#27 : December 16, 2010, 10:26:26 AM

That's crap. They didn't measure, so why the delayed call? According to the VP of officiating they knew immediately that Wash had gotten the 1st down. They show the tackle, the refs running in and getting the ball and spotting it, yet none of them signaled 1st down. Then they panned the crowd and Shanny.

they signal once it's spotted. we never see it actually spotted.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 16, 2010, 10:42:30 AM

That's crap.

Actually...no it's not. It's exactly what happened.

GoBucsYo

Second String

#29 : December 16, 2010, 04:39:29 PM

For any of you guys who recorded this game and watched it back, it's obvious there was no 5th down and that the guy got a first down on that first play.   The TV station had the yellow first down line in the wrong spot.   All you have to do is look at the marker on the field and see that the guy had the first down easily.   He didn't make it to that yellow line, but that yellow line was a full yard further downfield than the actual down marker.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why people are making 5th down a big deal « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools