Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN's John Clayton rips the Bucs.... ho hum « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 16, 2010, 08:46:41 AM

I'm enjoying this season , but face it folks , this team is not for real yet .

I've seen them twice in person this year. They're real flesh and blood.

Are they SB contenders yet? Of course not. And none of us need Clayton or you to tell us that.

You predict we'd be routed in the first round? What did you predict for the Bucs record this year back in August/September?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 16, 2010, 08:55:40 AM

The NFL created the SoS in order to create parody, and that's what the Bucs are doing. But if you go by the logic that SoS is the only reason the Bucs are winning, it ignores the fact that there were two teams worse than the Bucs last year who recieved easier schedules, and neither of them have winning records. The bottom line is that people like Clayton knew the Bucs schedule before the season began, and they were still predicting a 10+ loss season. It's cowardly and cheap on his part to deny credit to a team that has proved all the doubters wrong, including him.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#17 : December 16, 2010, 09:03:31 AM

Are they SB contenders yet? Of course not. And none of us need Clayton or you to tell us that.

Clayton is a national sports reporter. His reports are to sportsfans all over the world, not just Tampa. Many people don't follow the Bucs and don't know that they got to 8 wins by beating opponents with a combined .279 winning percentage. 

So, yes, he needs to tell his readers/watchers that.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 16, 2010, 09:06:23 AM

It's cowardly and cheap on his part to deny credit to a team

So you're selectively reading what these reporters write/report. There is plenty of credit given to Freeman and Morris and the Bucs for their turnaround.  People in the country probably won't buy into the Bucs' success until they actually beat a team with a winning record.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 16, 2010, 09:13:31 AM

Clayton is a national sports reporter. His reports are to sportsfans all over the world, not just Tampa. Many people don't follow the Bucs and don't know that they got to 8 wins by beating opponents with a combined .279 winning percentage. 

So, yes, he needs to tell his readers/watchers that.

Did he give details of our two losses to Atlanta? That makes a big difference when trying to figure out how strong this Buccaneers team really is.

Atlanta is one of the best teams in the NFC and we more than held our own against them both times. Came down to the wire in both games. And our blowout losses to NO and Pitt were very early on when our rookies were finding their way. Did Clayton mention that? Piss poor reporting. Most of us see that. Except you and DiSalvo.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 16, 2010, 09:19:28 AM

So you're selectively reading what these reporters write/report. There is plenty of credit given to Freeman and Morris and the Bucs for their turnaround.  People in the country probably won't buy into the Bucs' success until they actually beat a team with a winning record.

Did Clayton mention that 8 Buccaneers starters are now either suspended or on IR, two of which are among the best at their positions (Aqib Talib and Tanard Jackson)? Did Clayton mention that the Bucs have lost their top 2 draft picks to the IR list? We have an easy schedule, but we are still overcoming obstacles that have crippled better teams than us. Isn't it selective on his part, or yours for that matter, to ignore that fact?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 16, 2010, 09:19:44 AM

Let's see, he said he doesn't know how we've done it with so many rookies and practice squad guys, it's all on Raheem for doing a great job, key injuries are adding up which hurts our chances, but we have the easiest remaining schedule. Hmmm.....what part is "hating on the the Bucs"? All seems pretty much non biased reality to me.

Other than Clayton continually calling McCoy "Gerard", I think he's spot on.

HitTheBlount

Second String

#22 : December 16, 2010, 09:24:23 AM

what is actually pretty funny is that the saints are classified as a top 5 team when they only beat one team with a winng record, they lost 2 games to losing teams that we beat.....so i dont understand how we lose to good teams beat the bad ones and still people say who have we beaten? i could understand losing to the teams your supposed to win but losing to several superbowl contenders is just fine with me its when we blow that EASY one that would bother me. and as for atlanta - they beat us- yes i know-  but an OT win against a division rival doesnt impress me against NO, they were givin the game against the ravens (roddy white pass interferance) and they lost to the steelers and eagles, 2 WINNING teams!!! so to hell with clayton saying we dont deserve the playoffs and our 8-5 record doesnt mean much. we have just as good a shot as anybody to WIN THE SUPERBOWL  yeah i said it because its superbowl or bust to me -you play to win- and i embrace the wildcard slot because we are faily better on the road then we are at home. GO BUCCANEERS all day everyday

csidedave

Second String
#23 : December 16, 2010, 09:25:22 AM

The poster who said that we have played an unbalanced schedule made a very good point.  We have played either elite or bad teams, not middle of the road teams.  And we are much better now despite our injuries than we were in the blowout losses.  We are getting better each game while some teams are getting worse.  If we were to play the Falcons, Ravens or Saints Sunday, wouldn't you think we would have a resonable chance of winning?   We are right on the edge of the playoff race which is where we deserve to be.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 16, 2010, 09:26:37 AM

The problem is that it's NOT factual; one of the posters in the thread points out that the Bucs do NOT have the weakest SOS. They have the weakest SOV. They have lost five games to four of the top five teams in the NFL. Theoretically they could be the SIXTH best team in the NFL and still have the same record. His assessment isn't complete and therefore erroneous. He is writing what some people want to read, regardless of all the facts.
I'm not saying gush praise. But they're not as good as these other teams? Giants have easier SOS. That's a fact. There are three winning teams in the NFC South, only division that can claim that. Giants beat two winning teams, lost to two teams with losing records. Both wins over winning teams were at home, one came against an eight-win team (Jacksonville) in which they were outplayed most of the game. Cutler got KO'd and didn't finish the other game when they beat the Bears. All four of their losses are by double digits.
Chicago beat three winning teams: GB, Miami and Philly. GB is another eight-win teams. How many of THOSE do we face? Miami has seven wins and didn't have their QB when they played them. They lost to losing teams in back-to-back weeks.
Look at the whole picture. No one said ''we're there yet.''' But the notion that these teams are dramatically better than us is absurd. He's saying the Bucs don't deserve to make the playoffs. I'm saying we are a worthyy 5 or 6 seed. And by schedule oddity, we only face bad teams or great ones. We're the only one who doesn't face 7 or 8-win teams, which makes it tougher to gauge how good we are.

In Verner We Trust

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 16, 2010, 09:32:38 AM

Why is the 7 or 8-win team argument valid? Big difference between two losses to an 11-2 team, both close games, and playing any of those teams. To clump all ''winning teams'' together is crazy. When the 7-6 Dolphins didn't have Henne and faced the Bears on a Thursday night, did they even slightly resemble the Falcons? How about the Ravens or Saints or Steelers?
The Dolphins the Bears played that night were awful. Granted, they helped make them look that way. But they were no better than the 5-8 Arizona team we beat this year and not as good as the 6-7 Rams team we beat. But if you want to oversimplify and not do your homework, as Clayton did, you come up with these conclusions.
Go one further: The Bucs were at their peak a few weeks ago. The team early was inexperienced, finding its lineup. The team now has injuries out the wazoo. Green Bay is a similar type team. But they'll get a pass on their injuries because they're Green Bay.

In Verner We Trust

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 16, 2010, 09:39:47 AM

Did Clayton mention that 8 Buccaneers starters are now either suspended or on IR, two of which are among the best at their positions (Aqib Talib and Tanard Jackson)? Did Clayton mention that the Bucs have lost their top 2 draft picks to the IR list? We have an easy schedule, but we are still overcoming obstacles that have crippled better teams than us. Isn't it selective on his part, or yours for that matter, to ignore that fact?

I'm aware of all of that. This is the time of season that NFL fans are looking at who are the contenders and who are the pretenders. The Bucs aren't contenders for anything more than a one-and-out.  Clayton's job isn't to mollify Buc fans.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 16, 2010, 09:41:43 AM

The bucs are a good target for the lame ESPN writers that don't really know anything about us. You can say that all of our wins against teams with losing records but they should also say that we're the only team in the NFC that hasn't lost to a team with a losing record. If you watch the bucs you see a young team with enough talent to beat anyone, except the pats. Clayton apparently has not watched a Bucs game. If he did he would be very aware of the fact that its Gerald McCoy not Gerard McCoy. I don't give my opinion on things i have no idea about because it makes you look dumb. I suggest Mr. Clayton take my advice.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 16, 2010, 09:43:02 AM

Let's see, he said he doesn't know how we've done it with so many rookies and practice squad guys, it's all on Raheem for doing a great job, key injuries are adding up which hurts our chances, but we have the easiest remaining schedule. Hmmm.....what part is "hating on the the Bucs"? All seems pretty much non biased reality to me.

Other than Clayton continually calling McCoy "Gerard", I think he's spot on.

I don't understand this Buc fan paranoia - this team isn't close to being the same team from the 1997-2002. Why worry and whine about the national press not giving praise? It'll come when the Bucs start consistently beating good teams.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 16, 2010, 09:44:20 AM

You're owning this thread, Jersey. Great posting.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: ESPN's John Clayton rips the Bucs.... ho hum « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools