Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our LB problems « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 19, 2010, 12:05:31 AM

Watson wrote

"Last year under coach Baker, the DBs struggled for most of the year and for the most part the LBs played well.  The Bucs bring back Coach Lake for the DBs and they are playing well this year.  Coach Barry leaves and they move coach Baker to LBs and this year they are struggling. "

In Charlie's PI Quick hits article today he mentioned that the Morris was looking to replace the LB coach next season. I'm not sure if he meant that Baker was leaving or if he was moving to another position or perhaps moving to an assistant role. But it appears that Morris believes that coaching is part of the problem.

Possibly a scheme switch or tweak as well.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

watson

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 19, 2010, 04:45:30 AM

Watson wrote

"Last year under coach Baker, the DBs struggled for most of the year and for the most part the LBs played well.  The Bucs bring back Coach Lake for the DBs and they are playing well this year.  Coach Barry leaves and they move coach Baker to LBs and this year they are struggling. "

In Charlie's PI Quick hits article today he mentioned that the Morris was looking to replace the LB coach next season. I'm not sure if he meant that Baker was leaving or if he was moving to another position or perhaps moving to an assistant role. But it appears that Morris believes that coaching is part of the problem.
I read the article and it sounded to me like Coach Baker was saying he was on a one year contract and might not be back.  Either way, it would not surprise me to see a new coach there next year......if there is a season!!

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

watson

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 19, 2010, 04:48:19 AM

Watson wrote

I've read multiple times that under Kiffin the defense funneled the ball carrier to the WLB.  Not sure that is still the case since they seem to be talking about both the SLB and WLB positions.  Either way something needs to be tweaked......coaches, personnel or scheme.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 19, 2010, 09:53:34 AM

Monte's Tampa Two called for undersized LBs with great speed.

I think in Rah's defense he still wants speed of course, everyone does, but I think he is willing to sacrifice a little speed for some bigger stronger LBs. I could be completely full of shikaka....but we'll find out this off season. I expect Rah to use the draft and free agency to target LBs that are in the 235-255lbs range and still have good quickness. I'd be shocked to see him bring in anymore undersized LBs like Geno Hayes. 220lbs is a big safety....not a linebacker.

Side note, Ruud is listed as 242lbs and he might have been once upon a time, but he is clearly much lighter than that now. If he was truly around 245lbs, he might be able to do his job better, but he looks about 15-20lbs lighter than that. He is just as undersized as Geno Hayes and I think that has alot to do with us getting over powered and being unable to shed blocks. Size isn't everything, but it is a big part.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 19, 2010, 09:55:32 AM

Watson wrote

I've read multiple times that under Kiffin the defense funneled the ball carrier to the WLB.  Not sure that is still the case since they seem to be talking about both the SLB and WLB positions.  Either way something needs to be tweaked......coaches, personnel or scheme.

Morris said something about this in his column in which he explained Ruud's role....something that hasn't changed. He expects the plays out of the WLB and Sam although I still believe the Will is more important in stepping up to stop the run while Sam is more of the blitzer...run or pass.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 19, 2010, 10:00:44 AM

Side note, Ruud is listed as 242lbs and he might have been once upon a time, but he is clearly much lighter than that now. If he was truly around 245lbs, he might be able to do his job better, but he looks about 15-20lbs lighter than that. He is just as undersized as Geno Hayes and I think that has alot to do with us getting over powered and being unable to shed blocks. Size isn't everything, but it is a big part.

It's a skillset. Some players play better in space, some are good at taking on blockers and either plugging a hole or getting off the block and making the tackle. When you have a combo you have Derrick Brooks. It's not limited to size at all. The Bucs have a guy who played rover at Sam, a guy who's proven he's pretty good as long as he's the clean up guy with a solid tackler next to him at Mike and a 6th rounder at Will who had a reputation for undisciplined behaviour and play coming into the league. These guys are what they are.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 19, 2010, 10:05:13 AM

Like I said, it's not all size....but it is a factor. Geno has so many mistackles because he's the size of a safety and RBs blow thru his girly toothpick arm tackles. Ruud can't shed blocks in part because he doesn't have the strength to disengage. These guys both have good instincts and do exactly waht they should on many plays, they just can't get the job done because they get over powered. It's not all skill, it's not all size.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 19, 2010, 12:43:34 PM

Like I said, it's not all size....but it is a factor. Geno has so many mistackles because he's the size of a safety and RBs blow thru his girly toothpick arm tackles. Ruud can't shed blocks in part because he doesn't have the strength to disengage. These guys both have good instincts and do exactly waht they should on many plays, they just can't get the job done because they get over powered. It's not all skill, it's not all size.

Hayes has miserable instincts.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 19, 2010, 12:58:36 PM

Hayes has miserable instincts.
Sabby has miserable instincts. Hayes is more just inconsistent.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our LB problems « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools