Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Don't ask, don't tell" repealed « previous next »
Page: 1 2

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« : December 18, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »

Homosexuals can now serve openly in the military.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_military_gays

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #1 : December 18, 2010, 11:28:19 PM »

About time.  Was a very odd rule.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #2 : December 19, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »

Feel sorry for our military members. Not only have hundreds of thousands of our soldiers completed 3-5 tours in either Afghanistan and/or Iraq with no real end in sight, at least in Afghanistan, now politicians are throwing this social integration/social reform at them while we're in the heat of battle.  I see nothing wrong w/ maintaining the status quo of DADT at least until we're out of both war zones.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #3 : December 19, 2010, 07:03:02 AM »

I disagree with this decision.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 19, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

We're catching up to the rest of the world.

This excerpt is from an article written in June of this year...

http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/2010/0607_dont_ask_dont_tell_singer.aspx

Britain isn’t the only U.S. ally to allow open gays in the military. More than 25 of our allies, including every original NATO signatory other than the U.S. and Turkey, have transitioned to an open military. Most have made the switch since 1993, when Congress passed "don’t ask, don’t tell" (DADT), a policy that forbids gay soldiers from coming out of the closet. 

Critics have already warned that openly gay soldiers will sink morale—causing resignations, discord, and infighting—and ultimately damage readiness at a time when the U.S. military is already taxed to the extreme.

If the experience of our allies is any guide, however, the critics are wrong. In Britain, Australia, Canada, Israel, the Netherlands, and Sweden—strategic partners, often with militaries that have served alongside U.S. forces—the big news was, well, no news at all. Their transitions to open service were remarkably boring. "It was a nonevent," says retired Maj. Gen. Simon Willis, the former head of personnel for the Australian Defence Force, "and it continues to be a nonevent."

Above all, Congress and the Pentagon should rest assured that open service is, ironically, easier to implement than it is to study. Our allies had similarly fierce public debates. But once the new policies were in place, the return to normalcy was swift and all-encompassing. It was "really, really dull," recalls Craig Jones, a retired lieutenant commander in the British Royal Navy.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : December 19, 2010, 07:16:35 PM »

Our military is the leader of the free world. We're not catching up.  Civilian politicians are intent on our failure in Afghanistan it seems - why else would they totally disregard the recommendations by the Commandant of the Marines? Glad I don't have to deal with it anymore. Gave my 23 yrs to the nation.  That's all it gets.

Next civil rights experiment: placing women in the infantry as 11Bravos.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 19, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »

I disagree with this decision.

Shocker.   

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 20, 2010, 08:26:38 PM »

I'm in the army and I just got back from Iraq in August.  There are already openly gay people in the army and no one gives a sh!t.  I have met very few people in the army that have a problem with it. 

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #8 : December 20, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »

23 yr veteran - never ran into openly gay soldiers...guess it's a matter who you hang with.  In your case, someone selectively enforced UCMJ.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #9 : December 20, 2010, 09:38:02 PM »

At today's Senate hearing, three of the four service chiefs expressed opposition to repealing the Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) policy on gays in the military. "My recommendation is that we should not implement repeal at this time," said Marine Corps commandant General James F. Amos (watch his opening statement here). "I cannot reconcile, nor turn my back on the Marines most engaged in the day-to-day work of operations in Afghanistan," said Amos. The Pentagon's survey showed that 67% of Marines in combat arms units--infantry, artillery, armor--believe repealing DADT would have a negative effect on their unit's performance.

http://67.43.13.183/blogs/army-air-force-marine-chiefs-against-dadt-repeal_520659.html

spartan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : December 21, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »

Kinda curious, if it is NOT ok for straight men to sleep and shower with straight women, why is it acceptable for gay men to sleep and shower with straight men?

Just a few of the unintended dilemmas/questions raised by this.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #11 : December 21, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »

I totally agree Spartan. 

that 67% is a telling statistic.  It says the majority believes this should not be taking place, but par for the course here in America for the last 20+ years, minority rules.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #12 : December 22, 2010, 08:20:30 PM »

Kinda curious, if it is NOT ok for straight men to sleep and shower with straight women, why is it acceptable for gay men to sleep and shower with straight men?

Throw lesbian women sleeping/showering together in that equation.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #13 : December 23, 2010, 12:07:20 AM »

Our military is the leader of the free world. We're not catching up. 

On the matter of gays being allowed to serve openly, we're behind (no pun) other countries. But catching up. That's rather obvious when you read about how things
went when these other countries allowed openly gay soldiers. Basically, it was a non-event.

Civilian politicians are intent on our failure in Afghanistan it seems - why else would they totally disregard the recommendations by the Commandant of the Marines?

Failure because of this? LOL. Maybe those said politicians know how things went when others around the world did the same thing. Nothing happened. How hard is that for you to grasp? They ignored the warnings of the Marine Commander because the facts don't support that. Smart move. This will be a non-story once people like yourself are drowned out by the real life experiences of the folks who will experience this "change."

Mean D

Pro Bowler

« #14 : December 23, 2010, 01:31:20 AM »

It is hilarious watching liberals break their arms patting themselves on the back for the repeal of DADT.  I am sure that many of them have no idea which president implemented it.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Don't ask, don't tell" repealed « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools