Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow PI...Picture tells a lot. « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #30 : December 20, 2010, 12:07:08 PM »

Winslow caught the pass, but officials wiped it away due to offensive pass interference. It was a badly blown call, because Brown kept his back to the ball, playing the man instead of the ball, and that’s defensive pass interference 99% of the time.

This is 100% true, if only Winslow hadn't pushed off.  Unfortunately, he did.

PWNASAURUS

Starter

« #31 : December 20, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »

Winslow caught the pass, but officials wiped it away due to offensive pass interference. It was a badly blown call, because Brown kept his back to the ball, playing the man instead of the ball, and that’s defensive pass interference 99% of the time.

The defender made contact and was holding and pushing without turning to look for the ball. Sure Winslow was hand fighting the guy but the defender committed PI and should have been flagged or no flag.

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #32 : December 20, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »

The defender made contact and was holding and pushing without turning to look for the ball. Sure Winslow was hand fighting the guy but the defender committed PI and should have been flagged or no flag.

Defender "holding and pushing"???  Winslow wasn't moving or attempting to move. That's the key.

bashear

Hall of Famer

« #33 : December 20, 2010, 12:40:57 PM »

The biggest problem with both plays was the timing was so horrible. Both Winslow and Williams were standing in place waiting for the ball for like 2 seconds. You can sell pass interference a lot easier when it actually looks like the quarterback and receiver are on the same page. Freeman needs to be throwing those balls 5 yards before the receivers are even in the end zone.
This was also my take.

jeanclaud

Starter

« #34 : December 20, 2010, 01:18:39 PM »

The biggest problem with both plays was the timing was so horrible. Both Winslow and Williams were standing in place waiting for the ball for like 2 seconds. You can sell pass interference a lot easier when it actually looks like the quarterback and receiver are on the same page. Freeman needs to be throwing those balls 5 yards before the receivers are even in the end zone.
This was also my take.

This might have been true for the Winslow catch (although that is truly no excuse to ignore the Def. PI there) but that's because he was Winslow's very last option. The very next play however was played perfectly by Freeman and MW on the fade. Williams ignores the DB to leap for the ball and is clearly held down by Vasher's arm.

The officiating has been very unfavorable to this team throughout the year. That is a fact.

GoBucsYo

Second String

« #35 : December 20, 2010, 01:56:46 PM »

Really? That looks a lot like K2 is committing PI to me

There isn't even any doubt that he is.

FlyingScorpion

Starter
« #36 : December 20, 2010, 04:43:54 PM »

Something tells me we were screwed either way

Freeman\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I love winning a lot more than I’m scared of losing\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Chaos

Starter
« #37 : December 20, 2010, 04:47:09 PM »

This picture shows exactly why the call WAS NOT made on the defender.....if the reciever is engaged with the defender like K2 is here, and then the reciever pushes away and catches the ball the PI will be offensive....The fact that K2 cought the ball shows that the defender didnt "prevent the reciever from being able to make the catch" as the rule states....so therfor the call was offensive because of the push off!!

FlyingScorpion

Starter
« #38 : December 20, 2010, 04:53:52 PM »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Mike-Pereira-NFL-Week-15-top-officiating-rulings-analysis-121910
Mike Pereira Week 15's top officiating rulings

2. Detroit at Tampa Bay

THE SITUATION: Tampa Bay had the ball, third and 2 at the Detroit 2-yard line with 9:02 left in the fourth quarter. Tampa Bay trailed, 17-14.

THE PLAY: Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman hit Kellen Winslow for a touchdown. Offensive pass interference was called on Winslow and the touchdown was nullified.

MY TAKE: This is a tough call that turned out to have a big impact in the outcome. I felt it was incorrect because the defender played into Winslow and, at that point, both were holding on to each other and no advantage was being gained one way or another.

If anything, it almost seemed like the defender was more responsible since he initiated the contact. In plays like this, I feel it is best not to make a call at all. The Bucs had to settle for a field goal and ended up losing by three points.

Freeman\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"I love winning a lot more than I’m scared of losing\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #39 : December 20, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »

Winslow only pushed off because of all the contact from the defender. Winslow would have been wise to have just let the defender essentially tackle him, but with these refs they still probably wouldn't have called it. At very worst, it should have been a no-call since there was contact on both guys. In reality, it should have been defensive since the defender never making a play on the ball is always interference and he initiated contact. Or they could have called offsetting penalties. In any event, calling it only offensive pass INT is ridiculous.

Chaos

Starter
« #40 : December 20, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »

here is a play by play of what happened:  The ball is snapped, winslow jumps off the line, puts a move on the defender and goes to the defenders left,  3 yards into the endzone K2 stops his route and looks at freeman, at this point the defender looked back as well, the defender put his left hand on K2's chest, K2 then grabbed him outside the shoulder pads on both sides and dragged him to where the ball was going and then pushed off for the catch........This was a veteran move that happens all the time, K2 just made it too obvious!

the biggest arguement is that the defender never looked back, well he did...and here is a photo of it...

DiSalvo

Starter

« #41 : December 20, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »

Real playoff teams don't need to beg for official calls at the end of a game at home against the Lions ....

Chaos

Starter
« #42 : December 20, 2010, 05:22:36 PM »

Real playoff teams don't need to beg for official calls at the end of a game at home against the Lions ....

I agree

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #43 : December 20, 2010, 05:31:42 PM »

Think pereira and nubcake are right on.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jeanclaud

Starter

« #44 : December 20, 2010, 05:38:19 PM »

here is a photo of it...

Whether or not you meant it, this photo is disingenuous. From their position in the endzone corner you can see Winslow looking up at the ball and QB. Remember that it was a massive lob. The DB is looking down along the sideline. Watching it in real time it's obvious the DB never sees the ball and could not physically see the ball.
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Winslow PI...Picture tells a lot. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools