Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: All the Suh Hype.... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
: December 20, 2010, 10:18:50 AM

After seeing Suh live and in person, I can't say I buy into the hype that he is the best DT in the league and is on his way to Canton. I expected to see a type of player who was like Lawrence Taylor, a one man wrecking crew and I saw a DT who got washed out on alot of running plays, and provided few pressures. So anyone who watches the game online don't buy the hype on Suh, especially after seeing Freeman avoid a sack from him, and the Bucs as a team rush for well over 100 yards. Isn't a premiere DT supposed to stop a team from racking up the rushing yardage the Bucs put up yesterday? Count me as not impressed by the boy named Suh.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : December 20, 2010, 10:24:03 AM

The Detroit DL had Freeman on the run all day. Very disruptive. Maybe the best the Bucs have seen all season.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#2 : December 20, 2010, 10:26:31 AM

The Detroit DL had Freeman on the run all day. Very disruptive. Maybe the best the Bucs have seen all season.

I didn't see it, sitting in the club level visitors side and I can't see how the Bucs gain all those yards and people claim that their defensive line was so disruptive. I give them credit for the win, and the sacks they got, but they were nowhere near dominant.

Formerly known as T

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 20, 2010, 10:27:31 AM

Suh has hit the proverbial rookie wall. He hasn't had a sack in 5 games and he isn't making the big impact plays he was early in the year.

It's to be expected. I think Hardman and Zuttah did all they could do to keep Suh from making plays...and I can remember only one play where he nearly had Josh. It was really Detroit's defensive ends that reeked havoc on Sunday.

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 20, 2010, 10:37:19 AM

So, we shouldn't judge our players based on just their rookie seasons, but we can judge rookies on other teams based on just one game? Sounds a tiny bit hypocritical.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 20, 2010, 10:55:41 AM

The Detroit defensive line is very good and should be good for sometime to come. I don't totally get this post though. We all said that McCoy would need time to reach his potential. Certainly the same argument can be made for Suh. Certainly the argument can be made that Suh is ahead of McCoy, especially now considering McCoy will end up missing 4 games of the end of the season and Suh likely will not.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#6 : December 20, 2010, 10:57:49 AM

Their Dline in general is beastly.  They had Freeman running for his life ALL game long, and as much as I like Penn...he got owned out there.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#7 : December 20, 2010, 10:58:25 AM

So, we shouldn't judge our players based on just their rookie seasons, but we can judge rookies on other teams based on just one game? Sounds a tiny bit hypocritical.

Just don't think he was worth all the obssesive hype, and build up prior to the game. Not saying he will or won't be a All Pro or another draft bust by the Detroit Lions, just expressing I felt he was over hyped.

Formerly known as T

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 20, 2010, 11:08:02 AM

So because you want him to be hyped less, you're minimizing what he did? Note: When a guy gets 16 sacks a year (an incredible number) that's still just ONE per game. Good pass rushers typically go a few games in a row without a sack. Suh is ahead of McCoy on the curve. No surprise. McCoy played well in his last four or five games before he got hurt. We take it, hope he bounces back and move on.

In Verner We Trust

X Factor

Starter
#9 : December 20, 2010, 11:37:56 AM

You would think that the best DT of all time going up against practice squad players would get more then one pressure on the QB, but hey even the Greats of the game have an off day.

Mike Williams by Xfactor32, on Flickr

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#10 : December 20, 2010, 11:43:17 AM

So because you want him to be hyped less, you're minimizing what he did? Note: When a guy gets 16 sacks a year (an incredible number) that's still just ONE per game. Good pass rushers typically go a few games in a row without a sack. Suh is ahead of McCoy on the curve. No surprise. McCoy played well in his last four or five games before he got hurt. We take it, hope he bounces back and move on.

He should be ahead of McCoy he was the 2nd overall pick. In my view he was just over hyped, he was hyped up as a one man wrecking crew and he got gashed in the run game, and blocked well consistently by the Bucs backup Center & Guards. While he's had a great Rookie Year(much better than McCoy) I'm not ready to enshrine him in Canton just yet.

Formerly known as T

Chief Joseph

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 20, 2010, 11:59:31 AM

While he's had a great Rookie Year(much better than McCoy) I'm not ready to enshrine him in Canton just yet.

Oh. Who suggested that?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 20, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

i haven't read any of the other replies, so i'm sure i'm repeating some points, but:
-he's a rookie.  nobody wanted to enshrine sapp, brooks, or ray lewis in canton after their rookie years either
-despite being a rookie, he is leading all DTs in sacks and possibly ESPN highlights.  also had an impressive TD
-he is minus kyle van den bosch who is hurt.  like every mortal, he needs help and is without a sack since that injury.  on the flip side that's a major reason to hope that gerald mccoy will impact games even more when the bucs finally get a DE that can win a one-on-one
-based on this season's body of work, i don't think you could find a person in the league who would say that mccoy should've been picked ahead of suh.
-suh got more attention than any other defensive player sunday.  that was a big part of the lions' other guys spending alot of time in the bucs' backfield.  that's probably the most pressure freeman has faced in a competitive game from a 4-3 team all year, and i'm including atlanta

we're probably less than 10% of the way through his pro career, so his legacy could be any number of things, but i'm not sure what's gained by looking at one game in his rookie season and extrapolating it into anything at all
: December 20, 2010, 01:04:47 PM Pick6

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 20, 2010, 06:40:35 PM

I happen to agree with the original poster. Suh should have had a field day against us, but he didn't. I tend to think that much of his early season success had to do with teams not keying in on him. Now that they are, he's not making the same big plays he was before. That's not to say that he isn't a very good player. He just isn't the "man among boys" so many have preclaimed him to be.

What's so telling to me is that a number of the "Bucs fans" that are defending Suh with such violent passion are the same fans that were so critical of Gerald McCoy this season. I come to a Buccaneers message board, and I see countless posts about how bad McCoy, Price, and Benn are, yet I see thread after thread of folks jocking Suh, Tebow, Dunlap, etc. Here's an idea, if you like everybody else's rookies more than ours, go post on their boards.

This isn't a Gators board. I could care less about Tim Tebow. I could also care less about Suh. We had no chance of drafting the guy. Get over it.
: December 20, 2010, 06:46:37 PM CBWx2

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#14 : December 20, 2010, 06:44:44 PM

Suh has 8 sacks, and has bullied interior linemen around a ton this year.

He is a pass rushing DT.  He had more pressures than the entire Bucs d-line did, IMO.

Suh > Bucs d-line on 12/19/10.  He is a great DT, and when he gets to year 3, you will see him as one of the most dominant DTs in the game.  He is certainly better than McCoy...and if he were a Buc, we would all be happy as hell to have him.  Who on the BUcs has 8 sacks?

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: All the Suh Hype.... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools