Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White.........People continue to make asses out of themselves blaming Ruud « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#90 : December 22, 2010, 03:30:16 PM

I swear it's like going back in time and watching Falcon fans bash Keith Brooking on their board. Same exact arguments and complaints.
And they were right. With Keith Brooking playing MLB in 2007, Atlanta had the #26 run defense. The new regime dumped him, used a 2nd round pick on Curtis Lofton in 2008, and by 2009 they had the #10 rushing defense. Sign me up.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#91 : December 22, 2010, 03:44:15 PM

All of these criticisms of Ruud's game, yet I see nobody that talks about him being out of position as one of them.  Hmmm....maybe Stevie White is just completely missing what folks are disgruntled with Ruud about.  White isn't wrong about Ruud usually being in proper position, he's wrong pointing to him being in proper position as evidence that people who criticize Ruud "continue to make asses out of themselves."

Oh well, he'll always be right with dunkoffs like ufojoe around, crushing on him.  Asking PR why they don't have a link to his site and why they don't hire him, yada, yada.  It's kinda sweet, actually.

I swear it's like going back in time and watching Falcon fans bash Keith Brooking on their board. Same exact arguments and complaints.

Pretty sure Steve is calling you guys asses because he realizes that "being in position" is actually extremely important in a team concept. You brush it off as if it's not that big a deal to be out of position, but when you're in a 1-gap defense then you had damn well better be in your gap or you're gonna get embarrassed. That is the LEAST that everybody should be doing. If everybody were doing what Ruud is doing(being in the right place, and making the tackle when it's his to make), then we'd have a top defense. That's how it went with most of the old Buc defenses....we rarely had guys with monster tackle numbers and we'd even have guys like Barber and Brian Kelly making a high numbers of tackles(relative to CB's). It didn't take a Superman LB that we need to pay top dollar to make that work. Obviously times have changed, and Ruud shouldn't get top dollar either...but again, he's far from the big issue on the defense
So I'll assume Ruud is always in positon for arguments sake. What **CENSORED**in good does being in position matter if you are NOT gonna make the play? By making the play I mean stepping up into your gap, meeting the ball carrier at the point while MOVING FORWARD not backing up and letting the ball carrier run by you and chase him down for either an ankle tackle or to jump on after someone else makes the tackle downfield because you wouldn't step up and make the play in the hole.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#92 : December 22, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

FRG has addressed this point well enough.  They were right about Brooking.

Pretty sure Steve is calling you guys asses because he realizes that "being in position" is actually extremely important in a team concept. You brush it off as if it's not that big a deal to be out of position, but when you're in a 1-gap defense then you had damn well better be in your gap or you're gonna get embarrassed. That is the LEAST that everybody should be doing.

I guess that's the difference between the people that criticize Ruud for not having a physical mentality and the Ruud defenders who can only point out that he's in position, which is something that is never argued.  I expect the MLB who is looking for big contract to able to bring more than "the LEAST' he should be doing.  Being in position is great - now make a play.

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#93 : December 22, 2010, 04:53:14 PM

And they were right. With Keith Brooking playing MLB in 2007, Atlanta had the #26 run defense. The new regime dumped him, used a 2nd round pick on Curtis Lofton in 2008, and by 2009 they had the #10 rushing defense. Sign me up.

Not to hype up Keith Brooking, because he wasn't a great LB. But they were also 6th in defensive rushing YPA in 2006, and 10th in 2004. You can't really say it was Brooking that made that difference.

So I'll assume Ruud is always in positon for arguments sake. What **CENSORED**in good does being in position matter if you are NOT gonna make the play? By making the play I mean stepping up into your gap, meeting the ball carrier at the point while MOVING FORWARD not backing up and letting the ball carrier run by you and chase him down for either an ankle tackle or to jump on after someone else makes the tackle downfield because you wouldn't step up and make the play in the hole.

You might wanna ask Rah about that, because he's the one that has his defense set up for Ruud to be the "failsafe" guy. If Ruud were simply refusing to meet guys in his gap when it was clearly his responsibility, then i'd bet that Rah would mention it at some point. He has called out the D-line on numerous occasions this season. Not once has he ever mentioned Ruud in an unfavorable light. Quite the opposite, in fact.

I guess that's the difference between the people that criticize Ruud for not having a physical mentality and the Ruud defenders who can only point out that he's in position, which is something that is never argued.  I expect the MLB who is looking for big contract to able to bring more than "the LEAST' he should be doing.  Being in position is great - now make a play.

First off, has it ever been proven that Ruud is looking for a "big contract"? And what is a "big contract" for Ruud? Would you say that he deserves an average starting MLB salary? I think that is about what he is, so I personally would say yes. I wouldn't be broken up about it if we don't keep him, but I hardly think that letting one of the only guys on our defense that has a professional work ethic and football smarts go is a great idea.

2nd, what you're arguing about the physical mentality is kind of silly IMO. Why are you arguing about a player's supposed lack of physicality when he's basically doing his job? It sounds like a lot of you guys would prefer a big beast that can lay all kinds of hits, but could care less if he's actually doing his job in the defense(see: LaVar Arrington). TBH it sounds more like an ego thing....where it makes a fan feel good if they believe that they have a tough, intimidating defense. I'd prefer it myself as well, but the relevance of that is debatable. I'd argue that everybody on the field actually doing their job is what makes a defense good...far more than their "physical mentality". Though you obviously need some degree of both to even get on an NFL field.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#94 : December 22, 2010, 10:11:37 PM

The bucs wanted to draft Spikes, now they have brought in McKenzie and are excited, Ruud very well might get his walking papers.  As to the comparison with Brooking - it has been a couple of days since the bucs were in the top ten of run D.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#95 : December 22, 2010, 10:19:28 PM

I think Tyrone McKenzie, Dominique Harris, and Doug Worthington could all end up being starters next year.

Draft Aaron Donald

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Steve White.........People continue to make asses out of themselves blaming Ruud « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools