Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs be forced to be players in Free Agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2

nitey

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 21, 2010, 07:19:18 AM

>> nitey, wont a lot of thoseguys be restrictedFAs? <<

Walter Football noted players that were RFA and I didn't list those players. I have no idea on how valid the data is above, however WF is usually decent on the facts. I believe most of those players above could be available.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

nitey

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 21, 2010, 07:33:47 AM

Just looking at that list, I can see a number of reasonably priced FA's that would be worthwhile bringing in to add some competition to the current club. While it was great that Dom and his scouting staff seemingly hit a home run with last season's draft, I doubt we can expect the same result again next year.

As a result, the Bucs need to spend some money in order to get not only a few more starters on defense, but some additional depth as well. There is also a pretty good chance that the new CBA will bring an expanded roster adding another 3-7 total players to each team whether on the roster or practice squad.

Chances are also pretty good that the Bucs will probably have the most cap space of all the teams once the new CBA goes into effect. The fact that they are a young team with a young upcoming successful Quarterback, Wide receiver and Running back will also help make them an attractive target for any free agent. I still don't think that the Bucs will be big players next season, but this next FA group might be the best pool of talent that's been available since free agency has gone into effect. There will be a lot of teams looking to re-sign their own players, but with so much coaching upheaval coming, available players might be more willing to wait, enter free agency and see what else is available. The Bucs would be wise to not to simply sit on the sidelines.

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#17 : December 21, 2010, 08:00:08 AM

Of course, if Ruud gets surrounded with two beastly linebackers, what is to say he wouldn't be a benefit at that point?

Oh well....my gut tells me Ruud comes back next year.  So let's hope that a steady strongside linebacker gets found, and a deluxe version of Hayes appears.  Hayes can be decent, but he seems to be washed away at times as well.
Why would you think that? I think Dom and Morris are playing out the string here with these LB's because they have no better options. I see 3 new starters at LB when training camp breaks in 2011 and Ruud on another team or UFL.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 21, 2010, 08:16:18 AM

Nice post, however i disagree with a few things. I think that there will be a season next year. Plain and simple, there is way to much money to be lost by the NFL to let a lockout occur. Now as far as us being forced to be players in FA I disagree. We will continue to use the same strategies that we have used the last 2 years. Build through draft and scouting department. I think we should hang on to Faine but agree that we should resign Davin. Trueblood has committed enough penalties here in Tampa, see you later. Keep Graham and Lorig at FB but i don't think we should draft a RB high. If we all remember coach Morris loves Huggy and he'll probably the the compliment to Blount. I'm really up in the air if Caddy should be back. He has done much better since Blount has been playing but still gets taken down very easily on most plays. I think Ruud will get Franchised next year and black will remain a starter. I think we'll draft someone to compete for Geno's spot but not in the first round. First round and arguable second round should go to DE as we need serious help at DE.

Something you didn't metion is that I do not think Styles White will be on the roster for game 1 of regular season. He had an opportunity this year and has done nothing with it. Morris doesn't like his practice habits and lets face it Morris already said he'd tolerate him until he could replace him. Well 3 sacks through 14 games isn't hard to replace. You thought we were young this year? Wait until we are even younger next year!

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
#19 : December 21, 2010, 08:55:04 AM

If the Vikings continue to spiral down hill and they decide to blow the team up after this year then we should go after Jared Allen. Allen still has a lot in the tank and is about as fiery and violent a player in the NFL. I think he would fit in really nice on on our D-line and would help the young guns up front learn how to be NASTY.

Maybe send a 3rd round pick for him or a 4th and someone like Geno Hays who needs to be replaced.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#20 : December 21, 2010, 09:08:38 AM

The Bucs don't have to go and overspend for some 'Big Name' Free Agents, but I believe they will have to add 3-5 players through free agency for depth.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 21, 2010, 09:14:40 AM

Agreed with what the others have said. It really depends on the CBA. If there was a cap this season, the floor would have been about $115 mill. Considering the Bucs payroll was close to the Rays - around $80 mill, they would need to spend $35 million to get to the floor. Now, of course some of that would be rewarding the tremendously under paid talent like Williams and Blount and re-signing some guys like Davin Joseph and Quincy Black or extend Freeman from here to eternity....but there would still be a lot of money the Bucs would need to spend to get the cap where it needs to be.

I think the Bucs need to finish strong, hopefully 10-6 but at least 9-7. It may allow Dom to convince the Glazers to let us get an impact player or two for the defense.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 21, 2010, 09:26:21 AM

BucNY,

I don't think anyone has mentioned drafting a running back or picking one up in free agency, so I don't know where you come up with that.

White is a FA next season. So he might not be on the team at all next season. He will be among a handful of decent DE that will be available and he might get offered more money to play elsewhere than what Dom might offer him to stay. He's also 31 (I think) and Dom might decide that he wants to develop younger talent.

As far as Ruud goes, PR has written in both public and private content enough for me to say that the Bucs chances of re-signing Ruud are slim, certainly there is no franchise tag in his future. There are aspects of Ruud's game that the coaching staff loves, but Ruud gets caught up in traffic too much in the middle and probably would be a better outside linebacker. I see the Bucs re-signing Ruud only if they fail to land a replacement in either the draft or FA (assuming he's still available).

Like others have said, I foresee an entire new starting linebacking corp in Tampabay next season. I've been saying this for weeks and nothing yet has changed my opinion.

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#23 : December 21, 2010, 09:50:59 AM

If the Vikings continue to spiral down hill and they decide to blow the team up after this year then we should go after Jared Allen. Allen still has a lot in the tank and is about as fiery and violent a player in the NFL. I think he would fit in really nice on on our D-line and would help the young guns up front learn how to be NASTY.

Maybe send a 3rd round pick for him or a 4th and someone like Geno Hays who needs to be replaced.
Allen would be a good pickup, but we need a long-term solution...Allen is getting close to 30, but still a good idea.  I think if we can land a guy like Allen we would instantly improve our pass rush..that could have meant 2 more wins this year, and the most important lesson for a young team is to learn how to win.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will the Bucs be forced to be players in Free Agency « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools