Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You're The GM « previous next »
Page: 1 2

nitey

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 23, 2010, 02:20:49 PM

Yucc,

Dotson IS coming off an injury, but the last report from PR indicated that he was expected to be completely healthy going into the off season. I realize that he'll probably be rusty, but the FO is extremely high on this guy. Also Lee has proved to be more than serviceable at RT filling in for Trueblood. Lets face it, Trueblood was nothing special and Lee has out played him so if the regime was willing to live with Trueblood, they are probably willing to live with the competitive outcome of Dotson v. Lee at RT. I just don't see the Bucs taking a possible RT prospect as their 1st choice (or 2nd or 3rd for that matter) when DE/LB is such a visible need and Penn played well this season. The in house candidates can cover RT well enough IMO.

As far as Mankins, isn't he 28 going into next year? I don't think that's too old but you're correct about Nicks probably being cheaper, if we got him I'd be just as happy. 

I do see your point, and in prior years I've been a strong advocate for drafting offensive line in the first round. I wanted Joe Thomas a couple years back and while I was wrong, last year I wanted us to trade down out of the 3rd pick and get Okung to replace Penn. This year, we have to get some defensive ends. Just my opinion, but that position need is greater than any other.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#16 : December 23, 2010, 02:23:22 PM

Our defensive front seven is what we need to focus on. Our offense is just as good if not better than the Ravens or Jets with the O-line we have. The difference between us and them is they have great defense.

Unless there is an offensive lineman available that grades out much better than any defensive player, then I think we go all defense in the first three rounds. Our O-line could definitely be better, but we've managed to get by with it all year and done pretty well. Next year, with a year's worth of experience and chemistry our offense will be even better with the same line we have now. We will probably add some O-linemen in the 4th or 5th and maybe FA, but it's not as bad as many think.

Besides, Free seems to be at his best when he is getting pressured. Being 6'5" 250lbs is one of his best traits. He is able to able to make plays because of his size and strength and it is exciting to watch. If he's sitting stationary in the pocket, that size and strength is going to waste and honestly I don't think Free is nearly as good. He's at his best when he has to stiff arm a would be tackler and then throw a dart while on the run.

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 23, 2010, 02:26:52 PM

Trueblood is as good as gone, Joseph is likely gone, and I think Faine might get traded/cut.

We still have Penn, Larsen, Zuttah, Lee, Hardman, Dotson, Carter, and Barker. Adding two guys thru the middle rounds of the draft and FA for competition is all we need.

Draft Aaron Donald

nitey

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 23, 2010, 02:59:02 PM

My point as well. Although I don't think we draft anyone for the offensive line higher than the 5th round unless we don't sign a FA.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 23, 2010, 02:59:43 PM

Trueblood is as good as gone, Joseph is likely gone, and I think Faine might get traded/cut.

We still have Penn, Larsen, Zuttah, Lee, Hardman, Dotson, Carter, and Barker. Adding two guys thru the middle rounds of the draft and FA for competition is all we need.

LT - Donald Penn
LG - Ted Larsen
C - Jeremy Zuttah
RG - Logan Mankins
RT - James Lee

is much greater than...

LT - Donald Penn
LG - Ted Larsen
C - Jeremy Zuttah
RG - Derek Hardman
RT - James Lee

I personally think that Derek Hardman and Bruce Carter are backups in the NFL, and our short yardage offense has been a joke this year. an upgrade to our interior o-line is not a luxury, but a necessity.  While I know we can look to the the draft for a decent guard, nobody in the draft will provide the instant impact of a Logan Mankins. He should be FA priority number one for the Bucs.

as far as draft picks...

Rd. 1: Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa
Rd. 2: Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
Rd. 3: Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 23, 2010, 03:31:05 PM

Bruce Carter was over rated and after having major knee surgery last week he will not play in the senior bowl or participate in the combine. His stock is plunging and he'll likely be a 3rd rounder at best.
I don't think Carter is overrated.  He's a pretty good player.  But you're right about the knee injury pushing his stock back.  Could be a steal for us in the 3rd.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 23, 2010, 03:31:57 PM

1. Derek Sherrod, OT
2. Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia
3. Nate Irving, ILB, N.C. State
4. David Harris, LB
5. Carl Nicks OL

If everything begins and ends with number five, then solidifying the offensive line should be priority number one this off season. With that in mind since I am the acting GM, I decided to to bring in  a player who can play either left tackle or right tackle and only helps a young much maligned line in Sherrod, but he also provides insurance in case Penn's play regresses or should he succumb to an injury and provides competition at right tackle with Lee and allows the Bucs to let Trueblood walk.

The free agent signing of Nicks steals a valuable piece from a division rival, and allows the Bucs to move both Zuttah and Larsen to there more natural position at center while giving the team flexibility with regards to either keeping Jeff Faine releasing him or trading him.

The free agent signing of David Harris gives the Bucs a more downhill thumper then they currently have in Ruud.

The drafting of Justin Huston gives Morris flexibility within his scheme as Houston is a dynamic edge rusher, but he can also play in space in the 3-3-5 Redskin package.

Drafting Irving whom many consider to be a MLB after signing Harris is his ability to be kicked outside to the weakside and bring a nasty demeanor and physical style of play to the edge.
I like your plan the best I have to say.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 23, 2010, 03:35:39 PM

Kelvin Sheppard should be on this list as well.  Not sure if he is a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 23, 2010, 05:07:11 PM

Bruce Carter was over rated and after having major knee surgery last week he will not play in the senior bowl or participate in the combine. His stock is plunging and he'll likely be a 3rd rounder at best.
I don't think Carter is overrated.  He's a pretty good player.  But you're right about the knee injury pushing his stock back.  Could be a steal for us in the 3rd.

If Carter has a good combine he will be a 2nd round pick IMO.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 23, 2010, 05:22:34 PM

This should be fun to bump in a year and a half or so! I don't know a whole lot about most of these guys yet so that's my excuse if they end up being busts lol

1st Rd

Anthony Castonzo, OT, Boston College

2nd Rd Pick

Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska

3rd Rd Pick

DeMarco Murray, RB, Oklahoma

Splash Free Agent

David Harris, LB

Free Agents

Carl Nicks OL

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 23, 2010, 10:16:28 PM

Maybe not realistic, but as GM, I would try like hell.

1st
Marcell Dareus, DE/DT, Alabama <move up an get this guy no matter what. If no deal at all is possible, wait for Allen Bailey, DE/DT, Miami or Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson
2nd
If second is not traded. Justin Houston, DE/OLB, Georgia. Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State if Justin Houston NA.
3rd
Kris O'Dowd, C, USC (Faine is old, bad snapper for JF)

I would take a hard look at all of these FA's.

Ray Edwards, DE
Mathias Kiwanuka, DE (depending on draft)
David Harris, LB
Jared Gaither OL
Ryan Kalil OL

It's debatable, I know. But I would reach for these guys.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You're The GM « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools