Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lovie Smith Says He Wants To Beat Packers « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DiSalvo

Starter

#15 : December 29, 2010, 08:21:13 AM

There's actually a good chance the Packers and the Giants could lose. If Lovie plays his starters they are better than the Pack , and as bad as the Giants are playing right now ( Eli manning sucks ). The big question is if we can handle OUR business ?? Big "if" with our defense against Drew Brees.

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#16 : December 29, 2010, 08:44:37 AM

This is all fine and dandy but we still have to beat NO and the Skinnies have to beat the G'ints.  We can only hope some G'ints lay down for the game so Coughlin gets canned.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler

#17 : December 29, 2010, 08:49:25 AM

No matter what happens the Bucs have to take care of business and beat New Orleans, not easy by any stretch of the imagination but it is possible. I say Raheem and the coaching staff needs to do what they did last week, unleash Freeman and this offense and hope the patchwork defense can cause a couple turnovers from Drew Brees since he's already thrown over 20 INT's.

Like Lovie's attitude of wanting to beat their rival, I hate it when teams sit players.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 29, 2010, 09:04:39 AM

I sincerely hope the Bears do play the starters, but even then that doesn't guarantee they'll win. The first game GB gave the Bears at Soldier Field by committing 18 penalties. Aaron Rodgers doesn't lose much in GB. How will that affect the Bears psyche if they go all out and still get beat in GB? Then they have 2 weeks to think about it. Like Joe said, they'll know the Atlanta score before their game starts. If they can't improve to 1st seed, I still say the rivalry takes a back seat. You take your chances of maybe playing GB again in Chicago.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 29, 2010, 09:37:15 AM

Yea Bears would definetly rather face the Giants in the Playoffs rather than the Pack.  I mean they did so well against NY when they played this year :P  I still think Packers win this weekend and we'll see Saints vs Bears and Falcons vs Packers in the second round.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 29, 2010, 10:33:49 AM

I'd hope that the Bears would love nothing better than to deny the Packers the playoffs at Lameblow.

Thats as heated a rivalry as there is in football. Downright hatred. We have no rival like that so it's tough for us to understand. The fans would rip the organization a new one if they laid down and let the Packers waltz into the playoffs - especially if there was a chance that they see them again.

If the game gets out of hand either way - I could see the Bears pulling starters...but if it's a close game, I think they play throughout.

There's actually a good chance the Packers and the Giants could lose. If Lovie plays his starters they are better than the Pack , and as bad as the Giants are playing right now ( Eli manning sucks ). The big question is if we can handle OUR business ?? Big "if" with our defense against Drew Brees.

There's two keys...one is how will the Saints look at this game? They're locked into the 5th seed (barring some miracle), they're coming off an extremely emotional hard fought game against their most bitter rival, and they're coming in on a short week...and it's New Years....in New Orleans.....I just have this gut feeling the Saints don't get up for this game the way they did for Atlanta Monday Night. I think Tampa might want this one a little more.

Second key is can the Bucs maintain the football. The less cracks Drew Brees has on our depleted defense, the better our chances. We're not as reliant on our running game as Atlanta is - but we certainly need to protect the defense.

: December 29, 2010, 10:41:15 AM JasonOfthetower

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#21 : December 29, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

To win this game, we have to maximize our chances and limit theirs. It's tough to imagine us winning a 17-14 type game on them right now simply because we are too depleted on defense and Brees could conceivably put up a 90-yard drive on them the way he did on Atlanta. So we need to score in the 30's, conceivable if all our big guns have big games again. My sense is that we need a pick six and/or long return(s) to have a shot here.
A win would whet the chops of the Bears at the idea of knocking out GB. Remember that if the Bucs, Giants AND Packers win, the Packers back in. But if Chicago sees us with a win already in the bank, they'll play loose and give it a legitimate shot.

In Verner We Trust

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 29, 2010, 11:12:00 AM

believe you me, he would much rather see the Packers at home...He will play his starters!!!

There's no scenario where he wouldn't see the Packers at home if they make the playoffs.
HE WOULD  RATHER SEE THE PACKERS AT HOME ( ON THE COUCH ) WATCHING THE PLAYOFFS ON TV !!!  Hense the first sentence, Lovie Smith isnt gonna rest his starters and give the Packers a free pass to the playoffs!!!

Sorry, misunderstood what you were trying to say. Like I said, I hope you guys are right. The toughest game for me is us beating the Saints. Can we keep Brees from connecting on the long ball like Atlanta did?

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#23 : December 29, 2010, 11:16:33 AM

believe you me, he would much rather see the Packers at home...He will play his starters!!!

There's no scenario where he wouldn't see the Packers at home if they make the playoffs.
HE WOULD  RATHER SEE THE PACKERS AT HOME ( ON THE COUCH ) WATCHING THE PLAYOFFS ON TV !!!  Hense the first sentence, Lovie Smith isnt gonna rest his starters and give the Packers a free pass to the playoffs!!!

Sorry, misunderstood what you were trying to say. Like I said, I hope you guys are right. The toughest game for me is us beating the Saints. Can we keep Brees from connecting on the long ball like Atlanta did?

Joe, Brees will make some plays but I don't think it will be the big 80 yard bomb down the field. I'm more concerned with Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory and to a certain extent, Reggie Bush. I want to limit their cracks at our run defense.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 29, 2010, 11:21:53 AM

Packers have dealt with similar injury problems as us. And also overcome them. The Bears are like Atlanta: Hardly any major injuires.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-1229-pompei-bears-chicago--20101228,0,1216203.column

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 29, 2010, 11:26:14 AM

Already have talked to some bears fans this morning and they're expecting the starters to play little if any this Sunday. Just FYI.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 29, 2010, 11:29:42 AM

Already have talked to some bears fans this morning and they're expecting the starters to play little if any this Sunday. Just FYI.

And LS left open the possibility of this happening. "Right now" means "I reserve the right to change my mind if the game is all but meaningless."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5965295

Bears head coach Lovie Smith has said he plans on playing his starters to win the game. One thing that works in the Giants' favor is Smith's desire to always beat Green Bay.

The first goal Smith famously set when he took over as Chicago head coach in 2004 was to beat the rival Packers every year.

"I think it does help you keep your focus of playing your best ball [by playing the rival Packers]," Smith told the Chicago Tribune before the Eagles' loss. "I think naturally you could let up a little bit if you weren't playing for anything. I am talking about if you had home field [in the playoffs] wrapped up or if there was nothing you could gain from that last game. I guess some teams could let that hold them back a little bit.

"But for us, there is just so much going on this week," Smith continued. "For us, it just seems like we have to play our best ball this week in Game 16. Number one, I mean, it's the Packers and the Bears. That in itself really makes you play your best ball.

"Right now, we plan on playing our guys."

The Giants certainly hope Lovie sticks to that.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 29, 2010, 11:50:43 AM

Not a good LS quote...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bears-must-determine-how-to-approach-Sundays-game.html

I don't think if guys get 20 less plays or something in a game they stop playing good football. I just don't see it that way. We're in a position where if we didn't play our guys in an entire game, I don't think that has a whole lot to do with what would happen on that next week.

Chaos

Starter
#28 : December 29, 2010, 11:54:52 AM

Joe, Brees will make some plays but I don't think it will be the big 80 yard bomb down the field. I'm more concerned with Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory and to a certain extent, Reggie Bush. I want to limit their cracks at our run defense.

Drew Brees has bombed on us every game we have ever played  him and he did it against our starters, so with this make shift secondary i really believe he will do it again....

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 29, 2010, 05:54:53 PM

Hopefully, this is what happens...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/12/cutler-were-going-to-be-full-go-vs-packers.html

Cutler: 'We're going to be full-go' vs. Packers
December 29, 2010 12:59 PM | 16 Comments
By Fred Mitchell

The Bears are assured of at least a No. 2 seed and a first-round bye in the NFC playoffs, but quarterback Jay Cutler says he is preparing to perform as usual in Sunday's regular-season finale at Green Bay.

"I expect to be playing the whole game. That's how I am preparing at this point," Cutler said Wednesday at Halas Hall.

The Minnesota Vikings upset the Eagles 24-14 Tuesday night, securing the Bears' slot with a guaranteed first-round bye.

"It helps us. Why wouldn't I be happy about it?" Cutler said.
The Bears have a long shot at the first seed, pending the outcomes of the Falcons-Panthers game and the Saints-Buccaneers game. Regardless, Cutler says the Bears will play to win against their NFC North rivals.

"You probably could take a poll in this room right now and how many people would have picked Minnesota over Philly? So anything can happen in this league," Cutler said. "We know that. I am sure Atlanta and New Orleans are preparing like it's the Super Bowl. We just have to play and whatever happens, happens."

Sunday's game means everything to the Packers' (9-6) playoff hopes.

"Lovie (Smith) said ... we're going to be playing, we're going to be going and we're going to be full-go on Sunday. So that's what we expect," Cutler said. "Hopefully we can continue to be playing at the level we're playing."

The Bears (11-4) will be seeking to sweep their NFC North schedule with a win at Green Bay. The Bears were the last team to sweep the division in 1987, when it was the NFC Central.

"I don't think anyone has ever done it since they re-grouped everything, so that's definitely in the back of our minds,"  Cutler said. "We want to win the ball game. We don't want to take a step back as a team or as an offense."
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lovie Smith Says He Wants To Beat Packers « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools