Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You're the Owner: What do you do NOW? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: December 29, 2010, 11:39:11 AM

The Bucs go to New Orleans and come up short, losing to the Saints in the dome. They finish with a 9-7 record and just outside the playoffs looking in. Then, your telephone rings:

On the line is Bill Cowher and his representative. They tell you that Tampa is his first choice to return to coaching. He loves the weather and all the talented young players and he especially LOVES Josh Freeman. In fact, Cowher tells you (to his agent's dismay) that he truly LOVES the situation in Tampa so much, he'll take less money to become the head coach here than elsewhere.

Cowher goes on to outline a complete and very detailed plan on how he intends to get this team back to a league championship. But in discussing what Cowher expects, he tells you that:

A) He's not a fan of Mark Dominik and he'd want him replaced, but he's not personally married to any particular GM.
B) He'll probably replace just about all of the assistant coaching staff.
C) He would not retain Raheem Morris, even as DC (assuming Morris would stay) because he's got his own man in mind -- this point isn't open to negotiation.

So what do you do NOW?
Do you let Morris go and hire Cowher, which would seal the fates of Dominik and the coaching staff?
Would your next move be different if Cowher said he'd be happy to work with Mark Dominik and MD will stay on as GM?
Would a victory in New Orleans and a playoff appearance, thanks to losses by other teams, affect your decision?

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 29, 2010, 11:43:23 AM

No.... No and No.

The guys play hard for Morris and Dom has been masterful.   Why rock the ship.

da gunny

Second String

#2 : December 29, 2010, 11:49:00 AM

DTG,

Good to see you posting regularly again. Cowher is tempting... if we lose I don't know if it would be a good move after such an emotional loss. The current regime is potentially, based on their accomplishments so far, the best the Bucs have ever had. I don't think its even close. Just the strong loyalty the players have to Raheem has been beneficial this season. All of the injuries they have had and the Bucs are still doing well. That being said, it would be a very hard decision in my book. Great thought provoking question!

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 29, 2010, 11:53:55 AM

Hell no...  Rahminik FTW

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 29, 2010, 11:54:22 AM

First off, I don't think Cowher would push for a job that isn't open. Second, there's no way I don't sign Morris and MD to extensions or pick up the option.

Really no thoughts provoked on that one.

BucNGator

Starter

#5 : December 29, 2010, 11:57:14 AM

Tell his rep, you're flattered in his interest but Raheem and Dom are currently sitting in you office signing 3 year extensions........

........there is not a single name out there, available or otherwise, that would be worth screwing up the obvious progress this team has made!!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 29, 2010, 11:58:12 AM

Freeman at this point is more important to the franchise then any coach. Considering how Freeman has developed this year. I would respectively decline Cowhers overtures and renegotiate Morris and Dominik's option years. Instead of spending money on a coach and new high profile assistants I would make two-three splash free agent signings to boost interest and show the community  that we are still every bit about bringing another championship to Tampa.

Dan - If this is a scenario, because you have heard something can you elaborate a bit more? 

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 29, 2010, 12:02:05 PM

Hang up the phone.

;)

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 29, 2010, 12:06:00 PM

Dan - If this is a scenario, because you have heard something can you elaborate a bit more?

I have not heard anything in this vein.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#9 : December 29, 2010, 12:10:02 PM

Say thanks but no thanks. The players finished 2009 playing hard for Raheem and his staff, Dominik has shown he knows what he is doing when it comes to aquiring young talent, so extend both your current head coach & GM.

Freeman, Blount, and Williams all have blossomed witht he current coaching staff, so I'd do what I can to keep the current coaching staff intact. As an organazation I would recognize the teams needs a few key pieces to become a playoff contender for many years to come. Go into the 2011 offseason and aquire what the team needs to make a serious playoff push in 2011, to pack RJS full of fans again

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 29, 2010, 12:10:29 PM

Nothing hard about it. It's no all the way down the line, and not just now, but last January as well. Raheem Morris is the perfect fit for this team, and he and Dominik work great together. They have been methodical in addressing the needs of this team. They've owned up to their mistakes and taken immediate action (as much as possible) to correct those mistakes. Nobody knows this team better than these two. That was the case when they took over from Gruden and Allen, and that's still the case today. They have a plan, and it's working. I can't wait to see what's next. You don't mess with perfection, or the closest thing to it. Let Cowher coach Carolina and we'll kick his azz twice a year every year for the next decade.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#11 : December 29, 2010, 12:25:59 PM

Welcome aboard, Coach Cowher!
Pending performance.
A Superbowl run would obviously change things, but you're getting pretty far out there now. Short of that, say one and done, isn't going to change much.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

watson

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 29, 2010, 12:31:57 PM

It depends on what my agenda is.  If I want to build the team and try to fill RJS again, I say thanks but no thanks.  If I want to continue to have blackouts with the idea that it helps me in my effort  to move the team to LA then I say yes and clean house.  That would guarantee that much of the current fan base would revolt and stop attending games and help me with my move/sale of the Bucs.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

bashear

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 29, 2010, 12:37:51 PM

Win or lose against NO, I'd keep the current staff. Winning season during the second-year of a substantial rebuild while losing a large number of players gives Morris and Co. the edge. I've never been that fond of Cowher--he coached  a team who has a very good scouting department, a very good defensive coordinator, and (at that time) a good offensive coordinator. I'm interested to see him coach again, for another team.

Got_Spleen

Starter

#14 : December 29, 2010, 12:40:00 PM

I politely decline at this time.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: You're the Owner: What do you do NOW? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools