Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will The NFL Ever... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
: January 01, 2011, 10:20:55 PM

Put a rule in place to challenge penalties? I don't mean every kind and I don't mean unlimited, maybe like 1 or 2 a game max or on close calls and game changers. I know they say it will slow the speed of the game down, but just 1 or 2 reviews wouldn't slow it down that much. Challenge-able ones could be like, Pass interference (of course), Roughing the passer, Holding, and Block in the back.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 01, 2011, 10:22:49 PM

I don't think there should be any limitations on what is available to be challenged

Tom Voodoo

Rookie

#2 : January 01, 2011, 11:04:05 PM

The NFL should adopt parts of the college replay system.  Get another official up in the booth who looks it over and calls it down to the field.  And it should definitely allow more booth initiated reviews outside of the last 2 minutes.  PI, because of how damaging it can be, should be reviewable.  Holding, no, mostly cause it'd be too much of a hassle.  Block in the back/chop block/clipping, I say no simply because these are more geared toward player safety, refs should have to second guess their gut when it comes to that.

DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way related to the former poster Java, I carried this name over from the TBBB and don\\\'t want to change it as I use it in almost every online setting.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 01, 2011, 11:07:22 PM

The NFL should adopt parts of the college replay system.  Get another official up in the booth who looks it over and calls it down to the field.  And it should definitely allow more booth initiated reviews outside of the last 2 minutes.  PI, because of how damaging it can be, should be reviewable.  Holding, no, mostly cause it'd be too much of a hassle.  Block in the back/chop block/clipping, I say no simply because these are more geared toward player safety, refs should have to second guess their gut when it comes to that.

Only reason I said holding and block in the back is because those could be really bad calls and take away big plays and/or touchdowns other than that I don't mind if it's not challenge-able.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 01, 2011, 11:17:59 PM

Put a rule in place to challenge penalties? I don't mean every kind and I don't mean unlimited, maybe like 1 or 2 a game max or on close calls and game changers. I know they say it will slow the speed of the game down, but just 1 or 2 reviews wouldn't slow it down that much. Challenge-able ones could be like, Pass interference (of course), Roughing the passer, Holding, and Block in the back.

Penalties occur during every single play in the NFL. That's a fact. Whether they are called and to the degree in which they are called is a matter of human judgment. If you start to make penalties subject to review, then you are simply replacing one official's judgment call with another official's judgment call. It will never happen and it shouldn't happen.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 01, 2011, 11:23:21 PM

Penalties occur during every single play in the NFL. That's a fact. Whether they are called and to the degree in which they are called is a matter of human judgment. If you start to make penalties subject to review, then you are simply replacing one official's judgment call with another official's judgment call. It will never happen and it shouldn't happen.

How do you suggest we fix errors like the Winslows one if that's the case?

It very well probably cost us a playoff spot

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 01, 2011, 11:25:53 PM

Hire professional full time officials

Put the cameras away and let capable officials call the game.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 01, 2011, 11:27:40 PM

What if we have full time officials plus maybe one or two extra officials on the sideline?

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 01, 2011, 11:39:23 PM

Yes because it allows for more commercial time.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 01, 2011, 11:43:03 PM

I have wondered several times if that was a goal or a subsequent 'benefit' found by the networks and the league

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 01, 2011, 11:51:43 PM

I have wondered several times if that was a goal or a subsequent 'benefit' found by the networks and the league

I don't think it was entirely but I'm sure it was on the list of pro's. The NFL is a business and with television, it's the only way to make money after licensing. Honestly, we all complain about blackouts and stuff but at least NFL games aren't 60 buck pay per views. I think the NFL is doing a great job as a business, even if it means that I have to watch a set of commercials, a kickoff and then another set of commercials.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 01, 2011, 11:55:19 PM

I think it turned out to be a benefit realized after the fact. IOW....they figured out how they could use replay to make money. It is also why we will likely never move to the college replay system since that, usually, moves along pretty quickly.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 01, 2011, 11:57:05 PM

I don't think it was entirely but I'm sure it was on the list of pro's. The NFL is a business and with television, it's the only way to make money after licensing. Honestly, we all complain about blackouts and stuff but at least NFL games aren't 60 buck pay per views. I think the NFL is doing a great job as a business, even if it means that I have to watch a set of commercials, a kickoff and then another set of commercials.

If the NFL ever started charging that would be bad, because they have competition (NBA, MLB, NHL NCAAF, NCAAB) though I don't think it would hurt them too bad considering football is America's sport

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 02, 2011, 12:00:00 AM

Like I said, penalties are judgment calls, so you will very rarely have a consensus. However, every official call is reviewed by the league and officials are evaluated on each of the games. Theoretically, the goal is to build more consistency in official calls and to make them accountable for their performance. It will never be perfect and mistakes are made every game but the only ones that stick in our heads are the ones that could have potentially altered the outcomes of the games. Officiating in the NFL is still light years ahead of the NBA and MLB in my opinion.

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 02, 2011, 12:12:44 AM

Like I said, penalties are judgment calls, so you will very rarely have a consensus. However, every official call is reviewed by the league and officials are evaluated on each of the games. Theoretically, the goal is to build more consistency in official calls and to make them accountable for their performance. It will never be perfect and mistakes are made every game but the only ones that stick in our heads are the ones that could have potentially altered the outcomes of the games. Officiating in the NFL is still light years ahead of the NBA and MLB in my opinion.

Yeah it just sucks not being able to do anything about a call like the Winslow one

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Will The NFL Ever... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools