Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ras I Dowling « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 07, 2011, 09:09:13 AM

If I had to pick one guy out of this draft that I was most confident would be a probowler in the NFL...it would either be Ryan Kerrigan or Ras I Dowling.
I'll go with AJ Green and Kyle Rudolph.

Love both of those guys, but their fate lies in the hands of their QB. Defensive guys make their own story.

Draft Aaron Donald

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 07, 2011, 09:18:02 AM

You guys that say CB isn't a need kill me.

First off, you should have learned from Gruden/Allen that drafting for need gets you nowhere fast. You take the best player available period. You don't pass on a playmaker because playmakers are always a need.

Secondly, Biggers looks promising but hasn't proven anything yet. Lewis didn't do anything special as a rookie. Both guys have potential and hopefully evolve into great corners for us, but they are currently far from probowlers. You can't say we are set at a position because our starters have "potential" If we had another guy like Talib...then you could ssy we are set at CB. Ras I Dowling could very well another Talib type guy. Can you imagine having two of the best young corners locking down the edges?

And finally, if Ras I Dowling entered this draft as a Free Safety he'd probably be the the #1 or #2 guy. Free safety is a huge whole for us, so even though FS has much less value than CB...he could play that role for us. If he did, I think within 2 or 3 years he'd be a top 5 safety in the league.

I know everyone wants LBs, and DEs, and offensive linemen....I do to, but when you start drafting guys to fill holes instead of the best player on your board, you end up like the Lions. Ras is a very smart pick IF he makes it to #20 in the second round.

I think Biggers has reached his potential. He is a quality back-up or part time starter, but not a full time guy. I think Lewis will be much better next year. But this entire question of taking a CB depends on

1) Does barber retire?
2) Tanards status and their confidence in him (Or lack of thus requiring insurance)
3) The teams intentions for Jones. Is he their starter and thus given an extension or is is he a stop gap

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 07, 2011, 09:22:54 AM

If I had to pick one guy out of this draft that I was most confident would be a probowler in the NFL...it would either be Ryan Kerrigan or Ras I Dowling.
I'll go with AJ Green and Kyle Rudolph.

Love both of those guys, but their fate lies in the hands of their QB. Defensive guys make their own story.
I don't want to derail this topic too much, but Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Vernon Davis, Tony Gonzalez, and other pass catchers have made multiple pro bowls with garbage at quarterback.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 07, 2011, 12:50:36 PM

Patrick Peterson? Prince Amukamara? Nah....I'll take Ras I Dowling.

This thread is for Biggs to pull up in a year or two when Ras I Dowling is going to the probowl. If I had to pick one guy out of this draft that I was most confident would be a probowler in the NFL...it would either be Ryan Kerrigan or Ras I Dowling.

Dang brother, that's pretty steep.  Pat Peterson might be the best player in the entire draft, much less at CB.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#19 : January 07, 2011, 12:58:41 PM

Tangent: FWIW, this season Janoris Jenkins did better against the stud SEC WRs than Peterson did. Look up the numbers. Not saying that Peterson's measurables shouldn't make him the 1st CB drafted, just that production wise Jenkins did better in my eyes. And Janoris did this with one good shoulder.

/shrugs

The quest for .500 begins...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 07, 2011, 01:06:37 PM

Aren't there some people who think Peterson may be an Antrel Rolle/Malcolm Jenkins-esque free safety conversion? If he's really 6'1" 220 lbs like he's listed, that's huge for a corner and he may have too much bulk to be able to turn and run and change direction with NFL receivers.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 07, 2011, 01:13:37 PM

Aren't there some people who think Peterson may be an Antrel Rolle/Malcolm Jenkins-esque free safety conversion? If he's really 6'1" 220 lbs like he's listed, that's huge for a corner and he may have too much bulk to be able to turn and run and change direction with NFL receivers.

I don't think so.  He's a badazz cover-corner.  I thought Jenkins and Rolle would be moved to Free Safety, and even said-so pre-draft.  I think Peterson is the real deal.  You can see his speed and quicks when he returns kicks/punts.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 07, 2011, 01:29:41 PM

We have much more needed positions then CB and our front office sees that and that is what Dom is good at. Focusing on the positions of need. DE, LB, S, OL, and RB. CB comes in after all of those.

JM2

Pro Bowler

#23 : January 07, 2011, 01:41:01 PM

So far the most impressive thing about Dom though, has been his ability to find guys through all the possible avenues available to him. So, regardless of what we and the Buc's front office see as needs for the team, Dom may or may not choose to address them in the same order as you may think in the draft. He has proven that he is able to find gems where others overlook them. Regardless of who he picks or passes on in the draft, I won't be gnashing any teeth.

And with the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 07, 2011, 03:02:22 PM

First off, you should have learned from Gruden/Allen that drafting for need gets you nowhere fast. You take the best player available period. You don't pass on a playmaker because playmakers are always a need.

Secondly, Biggers looks promising but hasn't proven anything yet. Lewis didn't do anything special as a rookie. Both guys have potential and hopefully evolve into great corners for us, but they are currently far from probowlers. You can't say we are set at a position because our starters have "potential" If we had another guy like Talib...then you could ssy we are set at CB. Ras I Dowling could very well another Talib type guy. Can you imagine having two of the best young corners locking down the edges?

And finally, if Ras I Dowling entered this draft as a Free Safety he'd probably be the the #1 or #2 guy. Free safety is a huge whole for us, so even though FS has much less value than CB...he could play that role for us. If he did, I think within 2 or 3 years he'd be a top 5 safety in the league.

I know everyone wants LBs, and DEs, and offensive linemen....I do to, but when you start drafting guys to fill holes instead of the best player on your board, you end up like the Lions. Ras is a very smart pick IF he makes it to #20 in the second round.
You kill me by saying he will be the BPA in the 2nd round 4 months from now... If he is the BPA then sure, but with the depth of DE's and LB's theres a good chance a player at a need will be the BPA...

And you say that is Gru/Allen's philosophy but Rahminick draft mostly based on need also, they just do a damn good job of it and evaluated players properly.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 15, 2011, 12:20:51 AM

This thread is for Biggs to pull up in a year or two when Ras I Dowling is going to the probowl. If I had to pick one guy out of this draft that I was most confident would be a probowler in the NFL...it would either be Ryan Kerrigan or Ras I Dowling.

Whether we make him a CB or a FS, I really hope we get this dude. He'd be an absolute steal in the 2nd round.

Bump.....I love this kid!

Draft Aaron Donald

LABuc

Starter
#26 : January 15, 2011, 03:01:14 AM

Bump.....I love this kid!

The more I watch him, the more I love him.... but can he make it to the 2nd rd 20th pick?

Derrick Brooks, NFL Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#27 : January 15, 2011, 08:35:32 AM

Pass, I like the guy but our CB depth is very good right now and the pass rushers in this draft are going to be abundant. If we signed a DE like Charles Johnson who I really want to sign and we drafted a 1st round DE, I would consider him, however OL help would be ahead of him too.

-1, not buying that stuff ur smoking ts

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#28 : January 15, 2011, 08:37:17 AM

+1, Amen

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#29 : March 04, 2011, 01:22:34 PM

Dang brother, that's pretty steep.  Pat Peterson might be the best player in the entire draft, much less at CB.

After the combine, a lot of draftniks are agreeing.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ras I Dowling « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools