Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Set your pricetag for Josh Johnson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

Larry Brackins

Starter
: January 07, 2011, 04:10:05 PM

Harbaugh to San Francisco. You know he's going to come asking for JJ.

What do you want? I'll say a 4.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 07, 2011, 04:11:34 PM

depends on where he goes to. I think he could be as high as a 3rd but think we will get a 4th for him if we do trade him away.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 07, 2011, 04:13:03 PM

Nothing lower than a 3rd...and that's still something I would be reluctant about.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 07, 2011, 04:13:52 PM

rather than a draft pick do they have anyone we would take in trade such as a OLman?  But I would trade him for their 3rd.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 07, 2011, 04:16:48 PM

3rd

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 07, 2011, 04:23:35 PM

What exactly makes Johnson so much better than Alex Smith?  Or Troy Smith, for that matter?

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 07, 2011, 04:26:44 PM

What exactly makes Johnson so much better than Alex Smith?  Or Troy Smith, for that matter?

No one here is saying he is...but if I had to answer it I'd say he is smarter football wise than both players and possesses the same skill set albeit at a smaller level (but not by that much). He's a guy who can learn and play as opposed to just play.
: January 07, 2011, 04:33:40 PM anterrabae33

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 07, 2011, 04:28:37 PM

Valid question. It just brings me back to when we drafted him and Harbaugh was raving about him. He said he thought that he was a very legit QB at the NFL level.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 07, 2011, 04:34:43 PM

No one here is saying he is...but if I had to answer it I'd say he is smarter football wise then both players...

what have you seen from him that suggest that cause I haven't seen it? 

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 07, 2011, 04:35:22 PM

I'd trade him for Anthony Dixon who they picked up in the 6th last year.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 07, 2011, 04:37:07 PM

I wouldn't trade JJ. It's important to have a back up QB that has been in the system for awhile and is familiar with the other guys on offense. Plus, if JJ has to come in mid game due to an injury to Freeman, all the sudden teams have to defend a Mike Vick type of QB that they haven't prepared or game planned for. On top of that he can be used in many ways besides just a back up...as Olsen started to try this year. I think we'll see more of the "Buc Wild" formation with JJ in the future.

I know his contract is up next year, but honestly I'd offer him a 5 year deal that pays him about $3 million a year. The average back up QB salary is $2 million a year, so I think it would be enough to keep him from trying to earn a starting role somewhere else. If we can give Clayton a 5 year $25 million deal, why can't we give JJ a 5 year $15 million deal?

Draft Aaron Donald

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 07, 2011, 04:41:56 PM

JJ is probably the fastest QB in the league. That is no small thing. Not only does he have Vick like running ability, but he can also throw lasers with a flick of the wrist like Vick. I've seen JJ make throws that I don't even think Freeman could make. The kid threw 43 TDs and 1 Int his senior year of college. He has skills.

He lacks the alpha dog super confidence and leadership that a franchise QB needs, so I don't think he'll ever be a starter in the NFL, but he has an amazing skill set for a back up and has three years with the franchise, two with Olsen and this offense. Makes no sense to get rid of the guy. You want Rudy Carpenter coming in if Free goes down?
: January 07, 2011, 04:45:07 PM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Chris_BucFan60

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#12 : January 07, 2011, 04:46:53 PM

I want PATRICK WILLIS!!!!!!

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 07, 2011, 04:47:18 PM

If yuo can get a 3rd for JJ because Harbaugh wants him that bad, then you make the move...however, do you really think JJ was the QB that Harbaugh sold the 49ers on that would take them to the Superbowl as they gave him a 5 year 25 million dollar contract?   I doubt it

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 07, 2011, 04:48:17 PM

No one here is saying he is...but if I had to answer it I'd say he is smarter football wise then both players...

what have you seen from him that suggest that cause I haven't seen it?

His pre-draft hype and the fact that I value our staff's opinion on players. Johnson isn't the imposing QB like Freeman or any other QB in this league is which leads me to believe that because our coaches have kept him, he must possess something other than athletic prowess that allows him to stay an NFL backup. Gruden and Harbaugh both praised the kid and word out their was that Belichick also liked the kid. I know this is all speculation from my part but unless they are a starting QB, I can only speculate on the smarts of backups (it's not like I can ask him to take a test). I also look at it this way, compare two guys with basically the same atheltic skill set. Pat White and Josh Johnson. Who played for a bigger school? Who won more games in college (or better games)? Who was selected higher? Who was selected with more intention of contending for the QB spot? Now...who is still in the league? Same thing with Dennis Dixson although he is still on the Steelers albeit 3rd string (or 4th-ish). JJ is still a backup caliber QB at this point (maybe because the time was not put into making him a starter) but he is doing a lot better than those with the same skill set as his. Someone....like say Troy Smith.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Set your pricetag for Josh Johnson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools