Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Set your pricetag for Josh Johnson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8

Larry Brackins

Starter
« #30 : January 07, 2011, 07:05:54 PM »

I wouldn't trade JJ. It's important to have a back up QB that has been in the system for awhile and is familiar with the other guys on offense. Plus, if JJ has to come in mid game due to an injury to Freeman, all the sudden teams have to defend a Mike Vick type of QB that they haven't prepared or game planned for. On top of that he can be used in many ways besides just a back up...as Olsen started to try this year. I think we'll see more of the "Buc Wild" formation with JJ in the future.

I know his contract is up next year, but honestly I'd offer him a 5 year deal that pays him about $3 million a year. The average back up QB salary is $2 million a year, so I think it would be enough to keep him from trying to earn a starting role somewhere else. If we can give Clayton a 5 year $25 million deal, why can't we give JJ a 5 year $15 million deal?

+1 would love to lock him up long term.
Come on now, think before you post. This isn't Madden. Do you really think Johnson wants to be a backup for the rest of his career? Don't forget with every story we've heard about Freeman working with his WRs in the offseason and working with Drew Brees, Johnson has been with him every step of the way. He's working just as hard as Freeman is.

I like Johnson as much as anyone, but he's a 24 year old QB who is going to be a FA after next year. He's going to leave and go somewhere that doesn't have a franchise QB and will give him a chance to play. If Harbaugh comes calling you have to move him.
« : January 07, 2011, 07:10:02 PM future308 »

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #31 : January 07, 2011, 07:28:26 PM »

I don't know. If Olsen involves him even more in our offense next season and he's getting $3 million a year....he might be content.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #32 : January 07, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »

the guy hasn't won single game in the NFL and other than making a few plays primarily with his feet hasn't really done much.  You guys act like he is an all star.  I don't mind him as our #2 but hopefully he never has to play.  Like I said, I'd trade him for Dixon, who would actually contribute every game.  Carpenter looked just as good as he did in the pre season.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #33 : January 07, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »

Also, Harbaugh did say that if football was the SATs, JJ would crush it. He said that JJ was hands down the smartest football player he had coached. This comment is the only reason I think he might want JJ.

Harbaugh has coached Luck and will soon coach Alex Smith.  Those guys aren't dumb.

I'm not knocking Johnson, I just have no idea why SF would give more than a 5th.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #34 : January 07, 2011, 08:16:34 PM »

A 5th round pick was usually Gruden's cost anytime he traded for a quarterback who had never done anything. At this point Johnson doesn't have any more value than Tim Rattay and Luke McCown did.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Nicodemus

Pro Bowler

« #35 : January 07, 2011, 08:38:19 PM »

If they wanted him, I'd go for a trade of swapping first round places and 3rd round places. That way, they get thier QB and we get a chance at the DE of our choice and they still get a 1st round pick. The swap of 3rd places would just help sweeten the deal.

nitey

Hall of Famer
« #36 : January 07, 2011, 08:47:55 PM »

Okay, a couple of facts here.

1. Alex Smith and Troy Smith are free agents after the playoffs are done. The only SF quarterback under contract is David Carr. Link: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/07/harbaugh-we-will-install-the-west-coast-offense/

2. The 49'ers hold the 7th pick in the draft. There is a decent chance that SF will select a quarterback.

3. JJ doesn't want to be a backup in Tampa, he thinks he has starting ability and a number of head coaches thought so too. After the 4 games that JJ started in 2009, fans couldn't wait to get him out of the lineup. This season, he has some mild success out of the wildcat and his stock is decently high. NOW is the time to trade him to get another pick or two in a year where those picks could matter.

Harbaugh could have some interest in JJ as JJ had a very good Colgate career under him at San Diego. A reasonable trade would be a 6th this year and a 4th or better for next year. I could see SF doing a deal like that even if they did decide to take a QB in the 1st. JJ will know the system that Harbaugh is going to use and could end up being the opening season starter and could hold on to the gig for season if he did well.

I honestly think that if Free goes down next season, JJ wouldn't win that many, if any, more games than Carpenter and frankly Rudy played well in the preseason and PR and the Bucs have reported that he's made even more strides over the season. I'd be fine with Rudy as the backup next year. Also, I really dislike any play that takes the ball out of Freeman's hands. IF we have to run the wildcat, let Spurlock run it. He was a quarterback in college and he's turning into quite a receiver. I suspect he could do it just as well.

JMO. 

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

37 special

Practice Squad

« #37 : January 07, 2011, 09:03:37 PM »

Chargers got a 3rd and swapped 2nds from Seahawks for Whitehurst and he didn't even hardly play for SD - all it takes is one coach or GM - think  JJ has more potential than Whitehurst.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #38 : January 07, 2011, 09:08:41 PM »

If they wanted him, I'd go for a trade of swapping first round places and 3rd round places. That way, they get thier QB and we get a chance at the DE of our choice and they still get a 1st round pick. The swap of 3rd places would just help sweeten the deal.

Sweeten the deal for who? Certainly us, but why would the 49ers want to swap their 1st and 3rd for JJ? Please clarify.
« : January 07, 2011, 09:12:56 PM Captain Hindsight »

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #39 : January 07, 2011, 09:23:14 PM »

Sweeten the deal for who? Certainly us, but why would the 49ers want to swap their 1st and 3rd for JJ? Please clarify.

Insanity?

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #40 : January 07, 2011, 09:41:05 PM »

Insanity?

They'd be absolutely nuts. JJ has far more value to us by staying than we would get
by trading him. And I'm fine with that.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #41 : January 07, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »

Insanity?

They'd be absolutely nuts. JJ has far more value to us by staying than we would get

Right.  Johnson and his 10 meaningful snaps a year is much more valuable than moving up 13 slots in the 1st and 3rd round.

westcoastbuc

Second String

« #42 : January 07, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »

I wouldn't trade anything less than a 3rd rounder for JJ.

WestCoastBuc~

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #43 : January 07, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »

Harbaugh: “We will install the West Coast offense”
Source:    PFT
Posted by Evan Silva on January 7, 2011, 8:24 PM EST

At a press conference Friday night, the 49ers formally introduced Jim Harbaugh as their new head coach alongside new general manager Trent Baalke. After the formalities were over, the San Francisco media asked Harbaugh what sort of offense he’s bringing to the Bay Area.

“We will install the West Coast offense in San Francisco, birthplace of the West Coast offense,” he answered.

Harbaugh’s brand of offense was evident at Stanford in a system that involved a power running game spearheaded by Toby Gerhart, and frequent roll-out passes from quarterback Andrew Luck. The West Coast offense typically requires its passer to be athletic and accurate, and Luck fit the bill with a 70.7 completion rate last season and 453 rushing yards.

The Niners already have a power back in place in tackle-breaking runner Frank Gore, and 235-pound Anthony Dixon as a potential long-term backup. What Harbaugh doesn’t have is a quarterback. David Carr is the only option signed for 2011, and the 31-year-old seems likely to be cut due to a pricey $2.375 million salary.

Alex Smith and Troy Smith’s contracts will expire after the NFL playoffs.

Trade options Harbaugh and Baalke may consider include Green Bay backup Matt Flynn and Philadelphia No. 2 quarterback Kevin Kolb. Bucs backup Josh Johnson has also been heavily rumored as being on the trade block in previous years, and Harbaugh coached Johnson at the University of San Diego before leaving for Stanford.

The 49ers also hold the No. 7 overall pick, where athletic quarterbacks such as Cam Newton and Jake Locker may be available

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #44 : January 07, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »

Insanity?

Right.  Johnson and his 10 meaningful snaps a year is much more valuable than moving up 13 slots in the 1st and 3rd round.

LOL So......you honestly believe the Bucs will get an offer like that? THAT'S the ticket!
I'm typing in what I thought was a pretty clear manner, that the Bucs won't get enough to
warrant trading him and if you really believe what you propose will happen? LOL
I'd take it though. But come on..............

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Set your pricetag for Josh Johnson « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools