Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Broncos to trade Tebow? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #15 : January 08, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »

good for elway tellin it like it is....would definitely be a good move for the broncos to ship tebow while they can and get a real quarterback

You do realize he had the highest QB rating of any rookie this year, right?
You do realize he only started 3 games, right?

Yeah, and generally a QB's first few games of his career are some of his worst.

Also, LOL Java.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #16 : January 08, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »

Elway clarifies his comments on Tebow

Source:   PFT
Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2011,

Peter King of NBC made a stir with a pregame quote from Broncos executive V.P. of football operations and former Broncos quarterback John Elway regarding current Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

Said Elway to King:  “I don’t think Tim Tebow is a good NFL quarterback at this time.”

Elway has now taken to Twitter in an effort to cram the toothpaste back into the tube.

“To clarify my thoughts on Tim Tebow,” Elway said.  “I think he’s a very good football player, and if anyone can turn themselves into a great QB, Tim can.  Myself and our entire organization think very highly of him.  We are pleased with his first year as a Bronco.  Any speculation that the Denver Broncos are considering moving Tim is completely false.”

Frankly, Elway didn’t do much clarifying in those remarks.  Instead, he did a lot of ignoring.  He said what he said to King, and the fair inference is that Tebow would potentially be in play to be moved, especially if the guy who drafted him in 2010 can persuade his next team to make a play for Tebow.

And we wouldn’t expect Elway to do anything other than say that the Broncos don’t plan to trade Tebow.  Either he’s telling the truth, or he’s trying to obscure the truth in order to build leverage for an eventual deal

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #17 : January 08, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

Peter King of NBC made a stir with a pregame quote from Broncos executive V.P. of football operations and former Broncos quarterback John Elway regarding current Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.

Said Elway to King:  “I don’t think Tim Tebow is a good NFL quarterback at this time.”

Elway has now taken to Twitter in an effort to cram the toothpaste back into the tube.

“To clarify my thoughts on Tim Tebow,” Elway said.  “I think he’s a very good football player, and if anyone can turn themselves into a great QB, Tim can.  Myself and our entire organization think very highly of him.  We are pleased with his first year as a Bronco.  Any speculation that the Denver Broncos are considering moving Tim is completely false.”

Frankly, Elway didn’t do much clarifying in those remarks.  Instead, he did a lot of ignoring.  He said what he said to King, and the fair inference is that Tebow would potentially be in play to be moved, especially if the guy who drafted him in 2010 can persuade his next team to make a play for Tebow.

And we wouldn’t expect Elway to do anything other than say that the Broncos don’t plan to trade Tebow.  Either he’s telling the truth, or he’s trying to obscure the truth in order to build leverage for an eventual deal

Elway isn't the one trying to backpedal. Florio is and he is trying to pin it on Elway. **CENSORED**bag.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #18 : January 08, 2011, 09:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Mike Florio

The other option here Florio is you've done a complete hack job as a reporter by not printing Elway's initial comment in full context.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #19 : January 08, 2011, 09:51:32 PM »

LOL, Florio=TMZ of sports. This guy is an embarrassment.

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

« #20 : January 08, 2011, 09:51:48 PM »

good for elway tellin it like it is....would definitely be a good move for the broncos to ship tebow while they can and get a real quarterback

Also, LOL Java.

you're right...which is why gradkowski is the one of the best qb's of all time by now!

wait wut?

Or take Josh Freeman. After that horrible 3 touchdown performance in his first game, which was one of his worst games, he must've thrown over 50 td's this year? Right?

No....when qb's come in in the middle of a season, and there's no tape on them, they typically do well the first few games. It happens every year with plenty of quarterbacks. It's happened to us with chris simms and tim rattay as recently as 05 and 06. It provides no basis for how good they are or how good they'll turn out.

Tim Tebow is a terrible quarterback

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #21 : January 08, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »

Florio's an idiot in trying to pin this on King, Tebow and Elway. I'm not the biggest fan of Tebow's potential as a QB but I'd like nothing more than to see him succeed. You know why? My son and his friends all saw the ESPN special on him and their reaction? "He works so hard". That was the one consistent comment from them. These are all HSers. If he succeeds and they figure that if they work as hard as he is shown in that special, maybe it helps them out.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #22 : January 08, 2011, 09:56:57 PM »

Yeah, but imagine if he could just get a talented WR like Michael Clayton to throw the ball to.  Clayton's brilliance would make Tebow look better.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #23 : January 08, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »

I'm not the biggest fan of Tebow's potential as a QB but I'd like nothing more than to see him succeed. You know why? My son and his friends all saw the ESPN special on him and their reaction? "He works so hard". That was the one consistent comment from them. These are all HSers. If he succeeds and they figure that if they work as hard as he is shown in that special, maybe it helps them out.

Ya can't argue with that logic.

bucshot420

Starter

« #24 : January 08, 2011, 10:22:59 PM »

While I have mixed feelings on Tebow he has the work ethic like Freeman, but his mechanics will hold him back unless fixed.  Biggs mentioned getting him MC80 can you imagine how much better he would look with Clayton on one side and Larry Brackins on the other?  Maybe could even get Tyji Armstrong to come back and play TE for the Broncs

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 08, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »

Also, LOL Java.

you're right...which is why gradkowski is the one of the best qb's of all time by now!

wait wut?

Or take Josh Freeman. After that horrible 3 touchdown performance in his first game, which was one of his worst games, he must've thrown over 50 td's this year? Right?

No....when qb's come in in the middle of a season, and there's no tape on them, they typically do well the first few games. It happens every year with plenty of quarterbacks. It's happened to us with chris simms and tim rattay as recently as 05 and 06. It provides no basis for how good they are or how good they'll turn out.

oh nvm, didn't realize I was arguing with barbernbrooks. Carry on.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

« #26 : January 09, 2011, 01:37:16 AM »

Elway insists he's not looking to trade Tebow

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- John Elway is barely into his first weekend as the Denver Broncos' new chief of football operations and already he's in damage-control mode.

Elway took to his Twitter account Saturday to deny speculation he would trade quarterback Tim Tebow.

The fuss started when Peter King strongly implied on NBC that Elway might trade Tebow to the team that hires former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator.

Elway has said on several occasions since being hired as the Broncos' new vice president of football operations that Tebow is a good football player, but he has to become a good quarterback.

He's also said Tebow's famous work ethic will help him make the transition and that the next Broncos coach should be as big a believer in Tebow's promise as he is.

In response to King's report, Elway tweeted: "To clarify my thoughts on Tim Tebow... I think he's a very good football player, and if anyone can turn themselves into a great QB, Tim can."

"Myself and our entire organization think very highly of him. We are pleased with his first year as a Bronco," Elway added in a second tweet.

His third was his strongest yet: "Any speculation that the Denver Broncos are considering moving Tim is completely false."

Tebow, selected by McDaniels with the 25th pick in the NFL draft last April, played only sparingly in goal-line or short-yardage situations prior to McDaniels' firing Dec. 6.

Interim head coach Eric Studesville installed Tebow as his starter after Kyle Orton sustained bruised ribs and endured two poor performances in a row.

Tebow went 1-2, rallying Denver from a 17-point halftime deficit to a 24-23 win over Houston and nearly pulling off a fourth-quarter comeback against San Diego a week later in the season finale.

Elway said he was impressed with Tebow's play, especially considering he had such a paltry number of practice snaps during the season and threw just one pass until he supplanted Orton.

Tebow is the first NFL rookie quarterback since Minnesota's Fran Tarkenton in 1961 to post four games with both a TD run and a TD pass.

"Tim Tebow is a darn good football player," Elway said at his introductory news conference Wednesday. "What we have to make him is a darn good quarterback and that is what we have to figure out.

"If there is anybody that is going to give himself a chance to be a darn quarterback or a great quarterback it is going to be Tim Tebow because that is how devoted he is to it and how important it is for him to be a great football player," Elway added. "I want to tell you this: he loves the Denver Broncos. I have had a chance to talk with him and he is everything about what we like in a football player as a Denver Bronco."

A three-time All-American, two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy winner at Florida, Tebow has proven enormously popular in the NFL, too. His jersey was the third-best seller this season and he has a number of national endorsements, including Jockey.

source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_BRONCOS_ELWAY_TEBOW?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #27 : January 09, 2011, 01:46:29 AM »

Elway insists he's not looking to trade Tebow

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- John Elway is barely into his first weekend as the Denver Broncos' new chief of football operations and already he's in damage-control mode.

Elway took to his Twitter account Saturday to deny speculation he would trade quarterback Tim Tebow.

The fuss started when Peter King strongly implied on NBC that Elway might trade Tebow to the team that hires former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels as offensive coordinator.

Elway has said on several occasions since being hired as the Broncos' new vice president of football operations that Tebow is a good football player, but he has to become a good quarterback.

He's also said Tebow's famous work ethic will help him make the transition and that the next Broncos coach should be as big a believer in Tebow's promise as he is.

In response to King's report, Elway tweeted: "To clarify my thoughts on Tim Tebow... I think he's a very good football player, and if anyone can turn themselves into a great QB, Tim can."

"Myself and our entire organization think very highly of him. We are pleased with his first year as a Bronco," Elway added in a second tweet.

His third was his strongest yet: "Any speculation that the Denver Broncos are considering moving Tim is completely false."

Tebow, selected by McDaniels with the 25th pick in the NFL draft last April, played only sparingly in goal-line or short-yardage situations prior to McDaniels' firing Dec. 6.

Interim head coach Eric Studesville installed Tebow as his starter after Kyle Orton sustained bruised ribs and endured two poor performances in a row.

Tebow went 1-2, rallying Denver from a 17-point halftime deficit to a 24-23 win over Houston and nearly pulling off a fourth-quarter comeback against San Diego a week later in the season finale.

Elway said he was impressed with Tebow's play, especially considering he had such a paltry number of practice snaps during the season and threw just one pass until he supplanted Orton.

Tebow is the first NFL rookie quarterback since Minnesota's Fran Tarkenton in 1961 to post four games with both a TD run and a TD pass.

"Tim Tebow is a darn good football player," Elway said at his introductory news conference Wednesday. "What we have to make him is a darn good quarterback and that is what we have to figure out.

"If there is anybody that is going to give himself a chance to be a darn quarterback or a great quarterback it is going to be Tim Tebow because that is how devoted he is to it and how important it is for him to be a great football player," Elway added. "I want to tell you this: he loves the Denver Broncos. I have had a chance to talk with him and he is everything about what we like in a football player as a Denver Bronco."

A three-time All-American, two-time national champion and Heisman Trophy winner at Florida, Tebow has proven enormously popular in the NFL, too. His jersey was the third-best seller this season and he has a number of national endorsements, including Jockey.

source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_BRONCOS_ELWAY_TEBOW?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=SPORTS

A liitle different than Florio's version.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #28 : January 09, 2011, 11:43:03 PM »

Did any of you even read Florio's original post? I think not.

Here is the original article -
Lots of people have purchased Tim Tebow jerseys lately.  John Elway isn’t one of them.

The new executive V.P. of football operations in Denver needs to hire a head coach and, ultimately, the team needs to decide on a strategy for dealing with the franchise’s second first-round pick in 2010.  For now, the news for Tebow isn’t good.

“I don’t think Tim Tebow is a good NFL quarterback at this time,” Elway told Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated.

The news could be good for former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.  As King explained it, if/when McDaniels lands in a new city as an offensive coordinator (possibly the Twin Cities), McDaniels’ first order of business could be to lobby his team to trade for Tebow.  But as King points out, no trades of players can be done until the next league year begins.  And the next league year won’t begin until a new labor deal has been negotiated.  (Or, technically, until the league declares an impasse and implements new work rules pending an agreement or the union decertifies, blocking a lockout.)

And so just like McDaniels’ decision to dump Jay Cutler, Elway could be running Tebow out of town.

UPDATE:  Elway has since “clarified” his remarks, via Twitter.

I'm sorry...what's the problem here? Other than the snide comment at the beginning of the article and a question at the end, he was just reporting what King said. Heck, if all the Tebow Bromancers (and I am one) are getting in a tizzy about this - you should direct your ire to Peter King - who happened to be the one to intepret Elway's comments as not good for Tebow, not Florio. King went on National TV saying this stuff.

Also, Florio and his site is much more than "some internet hack". Some internet hack wouldn't have been approached by NBC, be on Sunday Night NFL's pregame and post game show, be featured throughout the contest, have a link on NBC Sports, and have hundreds of league officials and players who admit to reading his site on a daily basis - not to mention pretty much every media person that covers the league (including our boys here at PR).

If you don't read PFT you're not informed on what's going on in Pro Football.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #29 : January 10, 2011, 12:20:42 AM »

Did any of you even read Florio's original post? I think not.

Here is the original article -
Lots of people have purchased Tim Tebow jerseys lately.  John Elway isn’t one of them.

The new executive V.P. of football operations in Denver needs to hire a head coach and, ultimately, the team needs to decide on a strategy for dealing with the franchise’s second first-round pick in 2010.  For now, the news for Tebow isn’t good.

“I don’t think Tim Tebow is a good NFL quarterback at this time,” Elway told Peter King of NBC and Sports Illustrated.

The news could be good for former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels.  As King explained it, if/when McDaniels lands in a new city as an offensive coordinator (possibly the Twin Cities), McDaniels’ first order of business could be to lobby his team to trade for Tebow.  But as King points out, no trades of players can be done until the next league year begins.  And the next league year won’t begin until a new labor deal has been negotiated.  (Or, technically, until the league declares an impasse and implements new work rules pending an agreement or the union decertifies, blocking a lockout.)

And so just like McDaniels’ decision to dump Jay Cutler, Elway could be running Tebow out of town.

UPDATE:  Elway has since “clarified” his remarks, via Twitter.

I'm sorry...what's the problem here? Other than the snide comment at the beginning of the article and a question at the end, he was just reporting what King said. Heck, if all the Tebow Bromancers (and I am one) are getting in a tizzy about this - you should direct your ire to Peter King - who happened to be the one to intepret Elway's comments as not good for Tebow, not Florio. King went on National TV saying this stuff.

Also, Florio and his site is much more than "some internet hack". Some internet hack wouldn't have been approached by NBC, be on Sunday Night NFL's pregame and post game show, be featured throughout the contest, have a link on NBC Sports, and have hundreds of league officials and players who admit to reading his site on a daily basis - not to mention pretty much every media person that covers the league (including our boys here at PR).

If you don't read PFT you're not informed on what's going on in Pro Football.

Florio put his own imaginary spin on Peter King's imaginary trade scenario. The two principles in the entire affair are King and Florio and not Elway, Tebow or even Josh McDaniels.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.
  Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Broncos to trade Tebow? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools