Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bump until Scrabble is a Buccaneer « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Garv

Hall of Famer
« #30 : January 09, 2011, 05:06:49 PM »

If the Glazers are going to spend that kinda scratch......build the lines.  Obviously the D-Line, but hell, I would
even be happy with a big FA O-lineman over a DB.

Some fans would rather have bigger name recognition regardless of position.
I really do understand that but GM's (THANKFULLY) kind of sort of look to
get the best players they that fit needs and whatever budget the owners have them live
with.

That's just the way it is.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #31 : January 09, 2011, 05:07:51 PM »

I prefer Mankins!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« #32 : January 09, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »

ProFootballTalk NBC Sports

Raiders knew about Nnamdi contract

Source:    PFT
Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2011, 5:03 PM EST

Adam Schefter’s report regarding nuances of Nnamdi Asomugha’s contract included a suggestion that the Raiders didn’t know that the contract could void after the 2010 season.

Multiple league sources tell us that the Raiders knew.  One source with knowledge of the contract said it’s “pretty clear” that the Raiders were aware of the provision when the contract was negotiated.

In fact, it could be argued that the voiding of the contract was aimed at helping the Raiders avoid the requirement that they pay Asomugha in 2011 the equivalent of the franchise tender for quarterbacks, a number that’s expected to exceed $17 million next year.  Previous performance by Asomugha pushed the 2011 salary, fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the league year, to the greater of $16.874 million or the quarterback franchise tag, and the void arose not from Asomugha achieving certain production goals in 2010, but from Asomugha not achieving them.  For example, we’re told that even one interception from Asomugha in 2010 would have prevented the void.

Though the Raiders would have had other ways to protect themselves against the obligation of paying Asomugha franchise quarterback money, a reasonable argument can be made that the voiding of the contract benefits the team more than it benefits the player.  Really, does anyone think the Raiders would have paid Asomugha that much money for one more season of football, given that he would have been able to walk away after 2011 without restriction?

Indeed, who’s going to pay Asomugha nearly $18 million for one season of football?  If the Raiders had tried to trade Asomugha, who would have given up picks and/or players for the ability to pay Asomugha that much money on a one-year deal?

Though the Raiders have made their share of blunders (i.e., firing Tom Cable), they knew that Asomugha’s contract contained language that potentially made him a free agent in 2011, and based on the information we’ve gathered we think that the end result would have been the same, even if the contract hadn’t voided.

One way or the other, Asomugha wouldn’t have been a Raider in 2011.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #33 : January 09, 2011, 06:28:43 PM »

Give me pass rush.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

« #34 : January 09, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »

CB isn't a priority at all. In fact, it's probably one of our safest positions on the team.

With that said, I'm all for it. We have a ridiculous amount of cap space and Nnamdi is the best CB in the NFL, bar none. Apologies to Revis and Bailey, but it's true and it isn't as close as some might think. He literally shuts down his entire side of the field. When you get the chance at an absolute game changer, you go for him every time unless you simply can't afford him or you have a younger player who has the potential to be just as good. And with all due respect to Talib, he's nowhere near Nnamdi's level. Bringing him in WOULD greatly benefit Talib though, as QBs would be forced to take a lot of risks against him. Interception city, ladies and gents.

Probably won't happen, but absolutely we should go for it. We can afford to bring him in and a couple more free agents because we're dead last in money spent, so there's no reason not to. This isn't a situation like Haynesworth, Nnamdi is a once in a lifetime type of player.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #35 : January 09, 2011, 06:43:27 PM »

Youre blowing out of your ass if you think I just blow my load over any and every big name player. Because I clearly dont. we could have four Hovans on the line if we had Talib and Nnamdi in the defensive backfield. Obviously this front office only does one maybe two big money signings an offseason. But I can definetely see it being Nnamdi.  Im not sitting here saying CB is a huge position of need. It isnt. But you have to look to upgrade every position on the field unless you run the risk of causing huge locker room problems. Every GM knows that. Trust me on that one son

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
« #36 : January 09, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »

I'm all for it, however it is very unlikely. Just think, almost every team not named the raiders will be courting scrabble. Not only will that drive his price way up, he might want to go to the near sure thing where he believes he would have the best chance to win a superbowl. While we are all optimistic, we are biased, we aren't there yet.

I would love the pickup though.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #37 : January 09, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »

I'm all for it, however it is very unlikely. Just think, almost every team not named the raiders will be courting scrabble. Not only will that drive his price way up, he might want to go to the near sure thing where he believes he would have the best chance to win a superbowl. While we are all optimistic, we are biased, we aren't there yet.

I would love the pickup though.
+1.

Not so sure why people are so opposed.

The BUc shave enough money to take care of NOW, and later.

Scrabble would be such a massive upgrade, I have no words to describe it.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #38 : January 09, 2011, 07:16:23 PM »

im all for it, but certainly dont expect it.  we shouldnt break the bank for any player.  chemistry is most important imo.  nmandi-talib as starters, barber as nickel with special packages, and biggers-lewis for depth.  would be great.  but as mentioned, you dont pay him 10x as much as the next guy on the roster.  also, i dont think he has ever left california.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #39 : January 09, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »

im all for it, but certainly dont expect it.  we shouldnt break the bank for any player.  chemistry is most important imo.  nmandi-talib as starters, barber as nickel with special packages, and biggers-lewis for depth.  would be great.  but as mentioned, you dont pay him 10x as much as the next guy on the roster.  also, i dont think he has ever left california.
You pay the guy if he is worth 10 times as the guy next to him, which he clearly is.

However, I do not think it happens...have said as much.

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

« #40 : January 09, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »

If we don't even attempt to go after nmandi, I'll have questions about this regime.

Yeah, I love the building through the draft philosophy. Building through free agency by over spending on mediocre players is not the way to go. However, when you already have a great foundation, the lowest cap space in the league BY FAR, and the chance to get the most dominant player at his position in his prime, you do it. It's not even a question. He'd be worth EVERY penny.

The idea that people here are starting to get that you shouldn't ever spend big money on a free agent is laughable. Do you think the saints are regretting signing drew brees? do you think the bears are regretting getting julius peppers, who finally brought there defense back to dominance?

The patriots are the kings of the build through the draft and not overpaying for players module. However, when adalius thomas hit free agency, they went after him and paid big money for him. Now, do I think we should've paid big money for a player if nmandi wasn't a FA? no...no player was worth it. I would've been fine with david harris or ray edwards at the right price, but nothing huge. However, when someone like asomugha comes out, you go after him...hard

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #41 : January 09, 2011, 07:28:40 PM »

You pay the guy if he is worth 10 times as the guy next to him, which he clearly is.

i dont think he is worth 10x what talib is worth, or 10x what barber is worth to this team.  i dont think he is worth 10x what freeman or blount is/will be worth.  if the team breaks the bank for 1 player i could see that as a potential chemistry divide.  i offer the guy a lot, but he probably gets an astronomical deal.

that said, id love to have the guy.  high character player.  but personally just dont agree with breaking the bank.
« : January 09, 2011, 07:31:13 PM GameTime »

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #42 : January 09, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »

If we don't even attempt to go after nmandi, I'll have questions about this regime.

and what is an attempt?  john clayton and mort reports?

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
« #43 : January 09, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »

i dont think he is worth 10x what talib is worth, or 10x what barber is worth to this team.  i dont think he is worth 10x what freeman or blount is/will be worth.  if the team breaks the bank for 1 player i could see that as a potential chemistry divide.  i offer the guy a lot, but he probably gets an astronomical deal.

that said, id love to have the guy.  high character player.  but personally just dont agree with breaking the bank.
You do realize how much the Bucs theoretical bank has to offer, yes?

Scrabble ain't breaking no banks.  Not on THIS team.

And for as classy as he is, he would be worth it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #44 : January 09, 2011, 07:35:19 PM »

lolz

The patriots are the kings of the build through the draft and not overpaying for players module. However, when adalius thomas hit free agency, they went after him and paid big money for him.

Eh, $35M for 5 years is fairly moderate by FA standards.  Anywho, how did that work out for them?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bump until Scrabble is a Buccaneer « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools