Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our future MLB « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #15 : January 10, 2011, 06:48:20 AM »

Because his dad is a con artist, and because he stole some stuff when he was younger?

Dude can ball.  He is not a Mike Vick, but dude can flat out ball.  And at a high level, if you have not noticed.

Luck is bonafide.  But Cam might make you eat shidt and die.

ive got no problem with his character.  i just dont think he can run a NFL offense.  time will tell.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

2goodbucs

Starter
« #16 : January 10, 2011, 07:14:49 AM »

The thing about MLB's is if you look across the NFL, they're almost all 1st or 2nd round picks. If the player we're thinking about isn't considered a 1st or 2nd round pick, chances are he's just not that good. We don't necessarily need the next Patrick Willis, but we at least need the next EJ Henderson. If that player isn't available this year, I say roll with McKenzie, find a WLB, and re-evaluate in 2012.

I like this idea, Burfict or Te'o in 2012 pleeeease. Trade up if we have to dammit.
\

+1

Tyrone McKenzie earned "The Hammer" within weeks of making it on the active roster. That shows something right there and I noticed they put him in on goaline situations in the redzone. Lets give McKenzie a 1 year tryout and if he doesn't work out then there is Te'o and Burficit in 2012.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #17 : January 10, 2011, 08:47:38 AM »

Well if we grab Casey Mathews in the 4th, and McKenzie ends up being our starting MLB....I'm betting Mathews is better depth at MLB than Koutivitous. Getting great depth at MLB in the 4th is good stuff.

Draft Aaron Donald

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #18 : January 10, 2011, 08:57:20 AM »

The hard part for me to accept is the drop off in play at the MLB position.   I'd want Greg Jones with our second...  BUT (and for me it's a big one....)

One can moan and biatch all day long about Ruud's inability to be Patrick Willis, but the guy brings something to the table that comes with experience  (trying to not get into the D.A. player critique mode here.)...

I don't know how happy I'm going to be about putting a rook in there at MLB to run our defense.   Especially if we lose games because of it.   I'm all about youth and growth, but next season is lining up to be a contending season.   

IMO - McKenzie better be ready...   in the past it's taken our MLB's a year or two to get consistent and productive. 

All that said - Ruud is going somewhere...

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #19 : January 10, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »

I think best case scenario would be to get a Free Agent like Justin Durant and then also draft Nate Irving. This way we'd have Durant, McKenzie, and Irving all competing for the MLB spot, but all three guys can also play outside. Add in Watson and Hayes and we have fluid bunch of LBs that can play at any spot and add depth at any spot.

Draft Aaron Donald

PWNASAURUS

Starter

« #20 : January 10, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »

Don't know if you guys noticed but Morris brought McKenzie in for about 4-5 plays at MLB on Run Downs and moved Ruud to the outside. McKenzie fired through the A gap on 1 of the plays and drew a holding penalty on a takedown as he would have stuffed the run play. This is the future at MLB.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #21 : January 10, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »

I don't know how happy I'm going to be about putting a rook in there at MLB to run our defense.   Especially if we lose games because of it.   I'm all about youth and growth, but next season is lining up to be a contending season.   
Let's not act like we haven't lost a bunch of games due to not being able to stop the run. If keeping Ruud was a guarantee for success, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #22 : January 10, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »

We all know we have two distinct issues.  Run stuffing and QB pressure.

Don't misread the intent of my post.  It's not about  keeping Ruud around necessarily, it's more about people wanting to replace a player with experience and a significant responsibilty in a system with a rook and unrealistic expectations of that rook.  This is not a strong draft for true ILB's and in that sense, our timing sucks.

I hope McKenzie IS the real deal.   (or we trade our 2nd and JJ for Willis...  ;)   )

blind melon

Hall of Famer

« #23 : January 10, 2011, 10:24:02 AM »

I think best case scenario would be to get a Free Agent like Justin Durant and then also draft Nate Irving. This way we'd have Durant, McKenzie, and Irving all competing for the MLB spot, but all three guys can also play outside. Add in Watson and Hayes and we have fluid bunch of LBs that can play at any spot and add depth at any spot.

I don't think a lot of the upper tier guys get to FA.   I'm thinking Ruud will get a decent contract with another team...

Took this list from a googled link - Here is a list of options (2011 FA LB's)

Chad Greenway (MIN) – For three years, Greenway has been a consistent linebacker for the Vikings. While the Vikings took a step back, the Iowa product took a step forward and has become an elite 4-3 outside linebacker. He’s an instinctive, well-rounded player who excels at stopping the run at the line of scrimmage. The Vikings can’t afford to lose a player of his caliber.

LaMarr Woodley (PIT) – Woodley was somewhat of a disappointment this year, but that’s only because he expected to take the next step and join the elites this year. Still, he remains one of the best left outside linebackers in the game with the ability to play all facets of the game effectively. The Steelers draft and develop linebackers better than any other franchise, but they have little reason to part ways with a player who has helped form the backbone of one of the league’s best defenses.

David Harris (NYJ) – Harris has flirted with becoming a great linebacker the last two seasons, but still hasn’t reached that level. Given his experience, I question whether he’ll ever get there, but his presence in the middle is still crucial to the success of the Jets defense. While he’s not great in coverage, he’s a great downhill linebacker that controls the pulse of the front 7. Without him, the Jets linebacking corps takes a big step back as does their run defense which very rarely allows 100 yard runners.

Stephen Tulloch (TEN) – Tulloch has had a better season in the middle of the Titans defense than most would have expected coming into the year. He trails only Jerod Mayo in tackles and has been just as good as his numbers indicate. He does a good job in the hole and cleans up plays.

Paul Posluszny (BUF) – Posluszny has difficulties playing the entire season, but when he’s healthy, he’s a very smart, instinctual linebacker in the middle of the defense. The Bills don’t have a particularly strong defensive line, which asks Posluszny to play through blockers a lot. The Bills have many holes in their run defense, but Posluszny isn’t one of them.

James Anderson (CAR) – The breakout of strongside linebacker James Anderson has been one of the bright spot for the Panthers. Anderson has done a nice job of filling the stat sheet and has been every bit as productive for the Panthers defense as it looks on paper. If Thomas Davis could return to form, the Panthers linebacking corps could be one of the strongest in the league after they lock of James Anderson in what seems like an obvious move.

Rocky McIntosh (WAS) – The Redskins have a number of free agents this offseason and Rocky McIntosh appears to be one of those that won’t be re-signed. He struggled to adapt to the Redskins schematic switch to the 3-4 defense, which is in Washington to stay. If he becomes a restricted free agent (depending on the CBA), the Redskins could tender him and see what comes of what.

Thomas Davis (CAR) – Before suffering a torn ACL, Thomas Davis was having his best season as the Panthers’ outside linebacker. Shortly after recovering, Davis suffered a 2nd torn ACL, which has kept him off the field for all of 2010. Who knows how effective he’ll be when he returns to the field, but the Panthers have expressed interest in returning him to Carolina.

Barrett Ruud (TB) – Into training camp, Ruud was pretty angry about not getting a long-term extension, especially when he was passed over for left tackle Donald Penn. After this season, it looks like the Buccaneers won in their decision to not re-sign him. Ruud has been somewhat disappointing this season, especially when asked to do more in coverage. He also has the tendency to get engulfed by guards, which puts him in limbo as far as middle linebackers are concerned. As the Buccaneers go back to more Tampa 2, the middle linebacker’s coverage ability will continue to be accentuated. It’ll be interesting to see the initial ballpark Ruud’s agent throws out to the Buccaneers and how far apart they are to begin with.

Desmond Bishop (GB) – With plenty of depth and talent at inside linebacker, the Packers will have roster decisions to make. If their future doesn’t involved Desmond Bishop, who has filled in commendably for Nick Barnett, he’ll be one of the best free agent pick-ups this offseason. He’s a downhill linebacker and looks like a Pro Bowl linebacker with the play in front of him. However, when he’s asked to turn and run, that’s when his weaknesses are exposed, something that Dom Capers’ defense hasn’t exposed him to very much this season. He’s also a little aggressive, allowing cutback lanes behind him, but he can be groomed into a terrific middle linebacker in the right scheme.

Takeo Spikes (SF) – Takeo Spikes has played well at 34 years of age and no one knows this better than Patrick Willis, who has “urged” his team to bring Spikes back next season. With the combination of Spikes and Willis in the middle playing behind Aubrayo Franklin, the 49ers have had one of the best run defenses between the guards.

Other Notable Free Agents:
Stephen Nicholas (ATL)
Mike Peterson (ATL)
Tavares Gooden (BAL)
Keith Ellison (BUF)
Jamar Williams (CAR)
Pisa Tinoisamoa (CHI)
Nick Roach (CHI)
Dhani Jones (CIN)
Brandon Johnson (CIN)
D’Qwell Jackson (CLE)
Chris Gocong (CLE)
Matt Roth (CLE)
Jason Trusnik (CLE)
Landon Johnson (DET)
Zach Diles (HOU)
Kevin Bentley (HOU)
Clint Session (IND)
Justin Durant (JAC)
Kirk Morrison (JAC)
Mike Vrabel (KC)
Quentin Moses (MIA)
Ben Leber (MIN)
Erin Henderson (MIN)
Tracy White (NE)
Danny Clark (NO)
Scott Shanle (NO)
Chase Blackburn (NYG)
Keith Bulluck (NYG)
Thomas Howard (OAK)
Kamerion Wimbley (OAK)
Stewart Bradley (PHI)
Ernie Sims (PHI)
Omar Gaither (PHI)
Antwan Barnes (SD)
Kevin Burnett (SD)
Stephen Cooper (SD)
Brandon Siler (SD)
Travis LaBoy (SF)
Manny Lawson (SF)
Will Herring (SEA)
Leroy Hill (SEA)
Matt McCoy (SEA)
David Vobora (STL)
Quincy Black (TB)
David Thornton (TEN)

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #24 : January 10, 2011, 10:30:09 AM »

Let's not act like we haven't lost a bunch of games due to not being able to stop the run. If keeping Ruud was a guarantee for success, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So us losing games due to not stopping the run is all on Ruud? Typical. The poor d-line play, failure to maintain gap integrity, and scheme (namely lining up in a 3-3-5 too often) is more at fault for our poor play against the run than Ruud is. But I know people who hate the guy irrationally will deny this blatant fact. I find it completely telling that there were more people chattering on this board about Ruud getting ran over by Chris Ivory than there were people giving the guy credit for the forced fumble at the goal line on Julius Jones (which was basically a 14 point swing, because not only did it save a Saints TD, but the Bucs drove down the field and scored after the turnover). Oh, that's right, him getting ran on by Ivory was because Ruud sucked, but him forcing the fumble on Jones was because Jones sucked, right? Nevermind the fact that when healthy, Ivory has been running all over everybody this season, not just the Bucs.

That's the kind of irrational crap that makes your arguments lack in validity. You say on one hand that he doesn't make splash plays, then when he does, you say that it wasn't him that made the play, it was the other guy that messed up. That leaves it open for me to believe that it's not that Ruud doesn't make plays, it's that you guys just choose not to acknowledge the plays he makes. I wonder if it had been Geno Hayes or Tyrone McKenzie that forced the Jones fumble, if you would have heard the same kind of chatter about the play. Actually, no I don't. I already know the answer to that, and that, my friends, is what makes you hypocrites.

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

« #25 : January 10, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »

Tyron at MLB! put Casey at Weak and let him rush the passer hoping he can look just like his brother.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #26 : January 10, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »

Well Donta Hightower decided to go back to school for another year, so there is one less MLB in this draft. That means Irving and Mathew's value just went up by default.

Draft Aaron Donald

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

« #27 : January 10, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »

Martez Wilson is the best MLB in the draft. He's the closest thing to Rolando McClain coming out this year. Mark my words, he'll  be gone before either Irving or Matthews.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #28 : January 10, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »

My gawd the Oregon offense is the most annoying thing ever. It's not even football. It's like some foreign game that relies 100% on gadgets and misdirection. I can't stand college teams that play this brand of "football"

Draft Aaron Donald

Bucman

Hall of Famer
« #29 : January 10, 2011, 09:07:54 PM »

Its not working right now. Thomas looks afraid to take hit. At some point he has to learn to just take a sack. They had at least 3 points that drive.

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Our future MLB « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools