Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Les Miles to Michigan? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Bucman

Hall of Famer
: January 10, 2011, 03:49:20 AM

Michigan expressed interest in talking to LSU coach Les Miles prior to the AT&T Cotton Bowl and it is expected the meeting will occur soon, sources told ESPN.

One source close to Miles said a time and place has not been finalized. Another source said the coach would give LSU 24 hours notification before the interview and that had not occurred.

• Enlarge

AP Photo/Patrick Semansky
Les Miles may be on Michigan's map after leading LSU to an AT&T Cotton Bowl victory over Texas A&M.
Miles, a Michigan alum, would be interested in listening to athletic director Dave Brandon, one source close to him said.

Miles has won 62 games in six seasons at LSU including the 2007 national championship.

Earlier Saturday, LSU athletic director Joe Alleva released a statement saying the school had not spoken with anyone from Michigan.

"I have not been contacted by anyone from the University of Michigan about Les Miles," Alleva said. "Les Miles is LSU's head coach and we are going to do everything we can to keep it that way. He has had great success here and we plan to keep enjoying that success under his leadership."

Miles has more than $18 million guaranteed left on his contract, a source said. If Miles were to leave for Michigan, LSU would be owed $1.25 million, with no buyout for any other school, the source said.

Michigan had a conversation with Miles when the job was open at the end of the 2007 season, though Miles said he was offering advice in the search and was not a candidate.

Miles played offensive line for Michigan and was a graduate assistant and then coach there from 1987-1994.

Michigan had expressed interest in former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh and Northwestern coach Pat Fitzgerald, sources say.

Harbaugh took the job as San Francisco 49ers coach on Friday. Fitzgerald said he is not interested.

San Diego State coach Brady Hoke is another potential candidate.

Would be a good hire for them.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 10, 2011, 03:31:20 PM

Not a huge Les Miles guy as a coach but guy can recruit well so do not want to see him leave and doubt he will.  The only change this team needs is a new OC and hopefully some school is stupid enough to make Crowton a Head Coach.  Les is uncomfortable with all this attention, it shows in all of his recent interviews and showed today during the Patrick Peterson press conference to announce he is going pro.  Just because Les is going to meet with Michigan does not mean he will leave as seriously what does Michigan offer that LSU cannot match and beat??  LSU is also already trying to give an extension and more money to Les so this could all be a ploy for more money like three years ago.  If for some odd chance he does leave he is crazier than I ever thought he was as it will take him minimum five years to change and improve Michigan as no way he runs Rich Rod's offense and it will take a couple classes just to get different players.

We have a top recruiting class coming in this year, we have 16 returning starters and our freshman looked awesome throughout the year and in the Cotton Bowl.  Losing Shepp, Peterson, Barksdale, Tolliver and Nevis will hurt but we have guys like Mathieu, Freak Johnson, Maclin, Jarvis Landry and La'El Collins to step in and hopefully not miss a beat.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 10, 2011, 05:09:32 PM

Michigan is his alma mater. Thats really about it. I'd rather him stay with LSU. So I can watch Michigan hire another terrible HC.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 10, 2011, 05:42:54 PM

That job is going to be hell for the first three years.  Recruiting is shot and current recruits/students are all for a system that is very specific and no longer remains.  Job is built to fail at this point.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 10, 2011, 09:29:15 PM

Just said on ESPN (For whats that worth) if offered the job at Michigan. Miles would accept.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 11, 2011, 01:30:15 AM

If he takes it hopefully he will take Crowton with him.  Can't believe someone would leave a top ten program for Michigan??

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 11, 2011, 04:35:59 PM

Nope.  It's Brady Hoke.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6012465

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 12, 2011, 02:16:13 AM

Don't know much about him. But looking up his record its pretty bad.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 12, 2011, 11:18:02 AM

If he takes it hopefully he will take Crowton with him.  Can't believe someone would leave a top ten program for Michigan??
I know you are a homer for LSU and despite Michigan having a few down years lately has far history than the Tigers, has won more championships(11 to 3), and produced more NFL talent.  There is no comparison.  You could make the argument for Michigan being one of the top 5 programs in CFB history.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 12, 2011, 11:21:21 AM

Don't know much about him. But looking up his record its pretty bad.
what do you expect, he took over horrible programs at Ball St. and SD St. and eventually turned them around and was recognized as conference coach of the year in both those conferences.  He isn't new to Michigan either.  Was DL coach there for about 5 years.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 12, 2011, 11:30:55 AM

Michigan has the most all-time wins and the highest winning percentage in college football history.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Wolverines_football

and I say this having been born into a big OSU famiily, my mother is an alum.  Hoke is from the same town my father is from, Kettering, OH.

MrFreakinMiyagi

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 12, 2011, 06:34:01 PM

Les Miles is a horrible coach.

Much like their last coaching search, Michigan knew better than to hire that jackass.

Dolorus Jason on a ban bet with me over the BCS Championship: \"You have your bet. I ain\'t scurred.\"- 12/8 \"Youre being banned from your own stupidity. Enjoy.\"-12/8 \"Prepare for your ban .\" -12/9 \"Miyagi gonna be banned.\"-12/9 \"Best bet I ever made ...\"-12/9 \"Miyagi mad , gettin banned.\"-12/9\"You mIght need a break from the board. Our bet should help you do just that.\"-12/10 11:38 AM
 \"The bet is off now.\"12/10 1:24 PM

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#12 : January 12, 2011, 08:51:34 PM

Les Miles is a horrible coach.

Much like their last coaching search, Michigan knew better than to hire that jackass.

He may not be Knute Rockne but horrible coaches don't win MNC's and have a 90-38 lifetime record ..... Does have some brain farts with clock management at times, though.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 12, 2011, 10:34:13 PM

I know you are a homer for LSU and despite Michigan having a few down years lately has far history than the Tigers, has won more championships(11 to 3), and produced more NFL talent.

Well using that logic Chizik should be bolting for Notre Dame and Muschamp should have chosen Army over UF and CBS should drop the SEC-CG and air the Harvard-Yale game instead.

I believe the phrase "what have you done LATELY" means a lot more when "lately" is the last 14 years!. And I really doubt those 10 MNCs from 1901-1948 really impresses anyone under the age of 75. And sure Fielding Yost had a real power house with 4 straight NCs from 1901-1904 and even Teddy Roosevelt bragged about them, but is that really relevant to recruits today? hell, is it even relevant to recruits' grandparents today?

What is truly relevant now is 1. the SEC has won 5 straight NCs, 2. recruits prefer southern/warm weather schools 3. Cost of living in Mich>>>La. 4. weather in Mich.<<<<La. 5. Economy in Mich<<<<<<<<La. 6. LSU's football prestige >>>>Big Blue

What surprises me is why the other UM (aka Da U) didn't try to land a high profile HC like Miles.
: January 12, 2011, 10:36:33 PM John Galt?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 13, 2011, 08:14:36 AM

yeah, I guess you are right.  Michigan can't recruit future  NFL talent.

Jamar Adams (45) Philadelphia Eagles DB
Adrian Arrington (87) New Orleans Saints WR
Jason Avant (81) Philadelphia Eagles WR
David Baas (64) San Francisco 49ers C
Jeff Backus (76) Detroit Lions T
Tom Brady (12) New England Patriots QB
Alan Branch (78) Arizona Cardinals DE
Steve Breaston (15) Arizona Cardinals WR
Stevie Brown (27) Oakland Raiders DB
Prescott Burgess (54) Baltimore Ravens LB
Carson Butler New England Patriots TE
Todd Collins (10) Chicago Bears QB
Shawn Crable New York Jets OLB
Doug Dutch Washington Redskins DB
Braylon Edwards (17) New York Jets WR
Jay Feely (4) Arizona Cardinals K
Larry Foote (50) Pittsburgh Steelers LB
Jonathan Goodwin (76) New Orleans Saints C
Brandon Graham (54) Philadelphia Eagles DE
James Hall (96) St. Louis Rams DE
Leon Hall (29) Cincinnati Bengals CB
David Harris (52) New York Jets ILB
Brandon Harrison Philadelphia Eagles DB
Mike Hart (32) Indianapolis Colts RB
Chad Henne (7) Miami Dolphins QB
Steve Hutchinson (76) Minnesota Vikings G
Marlin Jackson (28) Philadelphia Eagles DB
Tim Jamison (96) Houston Texans DE
Dhani Jones (57) Cincinnati Bengals MLB
Jake Long (77) Miami Dolphins T
Mario Manningham (82) New York Giants WR
Greg Mathews St. Louis Rams WR
Zoltan Mesko (14) New England Patriots P
Brandon Minor Denver Broncos RB
Morgan Trent (25) Cincinnati Bengals CB
Donovan Warren (35) New York Jets CB
Gabe Watson (98) Arizona Cardinals NT
LaMarr Woodley (56) Pittsburgh Steelers OLB
Pierre Woods (49) Buffalo Bills LB
Charles Woodson (21) Green Bay Packers CB

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Les Miles to Michigan? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools