Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Conferences « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10

Runole

Hall of Famer
#45 : December 29, 2012, 09:47:45 AM

How on earth did Arkansas lose to both Louisiana Monroe and Rutgers yet manage to beat mighty SEC teams like Kentucky and Auburn( the celebrated BCS champion of 2010) for its 3rd Perfect season since 1993? Isn't it supposed to be impossible to go undefeated in the SEC? JMO but I think the SEC has had more perfect seasons over the last two decades than any other conference in America.  Am I wrong? Too lazy to look it up.   Could it possibly be that because of the avoidance of games against other BCS conferences during the regular season contributes to such phenomenal success and perhaps top to bottom there are plenty of weak teams in the SEC?

Again I am not arguing that the SEC annually doesn't have more good teams than any other BCS conference.  I just say that every team in the SEC isn't among the top 10-15 teams in America every season.  In fact  I doubt it is more than 2 or 3 on annual basis that belongs in the top 15.

The SEC gets far more hype than it deserves.  No doubt it has the most passionate fans in the sport. That doesn't mean every SEC team is the best in America every season.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#46 : December 30, 2012, 11:45:41 AM

That doesn't mean every SEC team is the best in America every season.

Who has ever said that, senile one?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#47 : December 31, 2012, 02:03:57 PM

Here are the Conference match-ups and rankings for the SEC bowl games.  I'm interested to see how they perform this year, a year which many said they weren't as strong as in the past:

#1 SEC (ALA) vs. #1 Independent (Notre Dame)
#2 SEC (UGA) vs. #2 Big Ten (Nebraska)
#3 SEC (FLA) vs.  #1 Big East (Louisville)
#4 SEC (LSU) vs.  #2 ACC (Clemson)
#5 SEC (TAM) vs.  #2 Big 12 (Oklahoma)
#6 SEC (USC) vs.  #3 Big Ten (Michigan)
#7 SEC (VAN) vs.  #5 ACC (NC St.)
#8 SEC (MSU) vs.  #5 Big Ten (Northwestern)
#9 SEC (MISS) vs. #5 Big East (Pittsburgh)
: January 01, 2013, 09:30:35 PM Biggs3535

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#48 : January 01, 2013, 09:30:07 PM

Update:  3-2

#2 SEC (UGA) vs. #2 Big Ten (Nebraska)                  +14 win
#3 SEC (FLA) vs.  #1 Big East (Louisville)
#4 SEC (LSU) vs.  #2 ACC (Clemson)                     -1 loss
#5 SEC (TAM) vs.  #2 Big 12 (Oklahoma)
#6 SEC (USC) vs.  #3 Big Ten (Michigan)                +5 win
#7 SEC (VAN) vs.  #5 ACC (NC St.)                      +14 win

#8 SEC (MSU) vs.  #5 Big Ten (Northwestern)          -14 loss
#9 SEC (MISS) vs. #5 Big East (Pittsburgh)

+18 point differential

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#49 : January 01, 2013, 10:30:04 PM

doesnt help that LSU gave that game away late.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 01, 2013, 10:30:50 PM

The SEC games this year have not been dominant games. They've been pretty  close games and frankly they've not looked all that good in several of them. Even UGA wasn't that impressive other than a few big plays. You watch the SEC teams and you realize how gawd awful their QB play is across the board and their vaunted defenses haven't done a lot of work this bow season either.

I think Bama is lucky to have UND up next because they can't score in bunches and that will play into the grindhouse effect Bama wants to play.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#51 : January 01, 2013, 10:53:29 PM

SEC certainly has not been dominant.  but i dont think most should expect the midtier SEC teams to dominate the top tier teams from other conferences either.  the SEC winning 6 BCS championships is dominant, but it doesnt mean that vandy and arkansas are dominant.  some have trouble with that concept.  similar to Bucs fans not understanding that both QB play AND pass defense needs to improve.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#52 : January 01, 2013, 11:03:25 PM

SEC certainly has not been dominant.  but i dont think most should expect the midtier SEC teams to dominate the top tier teams from other conferences either.  the SEC winning 6 BCS championships is dominant, but it doesnt mean that vandy and arkansas are dominant.  some have trouble with that concept.  similar to Bucs fans not understanding that both QB play AND pass defense needs to improve.

This isn't a CUSA school beating the #9 school in a conference. LSU is a top end SEC school that got beat by an ACC runner up. UGA struggled like hell to beat a team that got 100% crushed in their championship game as well. Heck, the whole schtick about the SEC being a great, no transcendent, confernce is how top to bottom tough they are so their mid tier better be good to justify the reputation they have that basically says by default the SEC champ = a BCS title bid.

Winning the BCS titles is as much about the matchups they get as really being dominant. UND isn't the best team, or second best, this year. They're the best gift Bama could get in terms of a matchup though to prove "dominance".

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#53 : January 02, 2013, 09:23:20 AM

LSU is a top end SEC school that got beat by an ACC runner up.

LSU is the 4th best team in the conference, and that's being tied with TAMU and South Carolina.

UND isn't the best team, or second best, this year. They're the best gift Bama could get in terms of a matchup though to prove "dominance".

Notre Dame played a legit schedule.  They've earned their #1 ranking this year.

Who is the "best" team right now, if not Notre Dame?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#54 : January 03, 2013, 11:52:31 AM

This isn't a CUSA school beating the #9 school in a conference. LSU is a top end SEC school that got beat by an ACC runner up. UGA struggled like hell to beat a team that got 100% crushed in their championship game as well. Heck, the whole schtick about the SEC being a great, no transcendent, confernce is how top to bottom tough they are so their mid tier better be good to justify the reputation they have that basically says by default the SEC champ = a BCS title bid.

Winning the BCS titles is as much about the matchups they get as really being dominant. UND isn't the best team, or second best, this year. They're the best gift Bama could get in terms of a matchup though to prove "dominance".

i just dont understand why some cant fathom that good teams play in other conferences.

and its pretty crazy how 6 straight years the SEC has gotten a lucky matchup.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#55 : January 05, 2013, 11:51:36 AM

"it is tough to win in the SEC"

How often has this been stated on the airwaves?   Heck ,even Bobby Bowden made the statement so it has to be "Golden" Right?

Well since South Carolina and Arkansas entered the SEC in 1992.  There has been 21 times that an SEC team was undefeated in its own division EAST or WEST , went undefeated during the SEC regular season, or had a perfect season.

21 times!

I may be wrong but is there any BCS conference that has had more than that since 1992?

Again this is not making anything against the statement that the SEC has more good teams than any other conference.  It is only a statement questioning that "it is nearly impossible or tough to go undefeated in the SEC."   From my view it certainly doesn't look as difficult as many believe.

So based on the above is it a Myth or a Fact with the statement?  I say Bobby you are wrong as is anyone else that believes the statement.

Anyone provide a valid counterpoint other than the usual personal "insult the poster" stuff?

I realize that is the only thing "impossible" in this thread given some of the responses by the usual suspects.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#56 : January 05, 2013, 01:49:52 PM

how did those teams do in their bowl games?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#57 : January 05, 2013, 02:30:39 PM

"it is tough to win in the SEC"

How often has this been stated on the airwaves?   Heck ,even Bobby Bowden made the statement so it has to be "Golden" Right?

Well since South Carolina and Arkansas entered the SEC in 1992.  There has been 21 times that an SEC team was undefeated in its own division EAST or WEST , went undefeated during the SEC regular season, or had a perfect season.

21 times!

I may be wrong but is there any BCS conference that has had more than that since 1992?

Again this is not making anything against the statement that the SEC has more good teams than any other conference.  It is only a statement questioning that "it is nearly impossible or tough to go undefeated in the SEC."   From my view it certainly doesn't look as difficult as many believe.

So based on the above is it a Myth or a Fact with the statement?  I say Bobby you are wrong as is anyone else that believes the statement.

Anyone provide a valid counterpoint other than the usual personal "insult the poster" stuff?

I realize that is the only thing "impossible" in this thread given some of the responses by the usual suspects.

lolz that you think this is a good argument.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#58 : January 05, 2013, 11:11:59 PM

SEC certainly has not been dominant.  but i dont think most should expect the midtier SEC teams to dominate the top tier teams from other conferences either. 

maybe those midtier teams shouldn't be ranked in the top 10 or even top 5 then

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#59 : January 05, 2013, 11:30:21 PM

Update before the Title game:  5-3

#2 SEC (UGA) vs. #2 Big Ten (Nebraska)              +14 win
#3 SEC (FLA) vs.  #1 Big East (Louisville)               -10 loss
#4 SEC (LSU) vs.  #2 ACC (Clemson)                    -1 loss
#5 SEC (TAM) vs.  #2 Big 12 (Oklahoma)               +28 win
#6 SEC (USC) vs.  #3 Big Ten (Michigan)               +5 win
#7 SEC (VAN) vs.  #5 ACC (NC St.)                      +14 win

#8 SEC (MSU) vs.  #5 Big Ten (Northwestern)         -14 loss
#9 SEC (MISS) vs. #5 Big East (Pittsburgh)            +21 win

+57 point differential

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Conferences « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools