Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Conferences « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#90 : January 07, 2013, 10:08:19 PM

there wasnt a clear #1 this year. that much is certain. notre dame is currently #1 for about 2 more hours. they are getting absolutely wrecked and their ranking is a house of cards if you look at all the close games they played against inferior teams

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#91 : January 07, 2013, 10:08:47 PM

what isn't debatable is that Louisiville, who was ranked 22, manhandled Florida, who was ranked 3 so either Florida isn't the 3rd best team in the country or Louisville is #2 ( we can all agree that 'Bama is #1)

on Jan 1st, UF was a legitimate #3.  by Jan 3, they werent.  is it that difficult to understand that college football isnt logic or math?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#92 : January 07, 2013, 10:11:41 PM

notre dame is currently #1 for about 2 more hours. they are getting absolutely wrecked and their ranking is a house of cards if you look at all the close games they played against inferior teams

absolutely right.  but at the same time, yesterday, ND deserved (at least imo) to be ranked #1.  tomorrow, not so much.

UF and ND were similar this past season.  they played good teams and won.  they played poor teams and squeaked by.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#93 : January 07, 2013, 10:13:41 PM

what isn't debatable is that Louisiville, who was ranked 22, manhandled Florida, who was ranked 3 so either Florida isn't the 3rd best team in the country or Louisville is #2 ( we can all agree that 'Bama is #1)

college football isnt logic or math?

aren't the teams chosen to play in the championship game based on mathematical equations of some sort?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#94 : January 07, 2013, 10:14:18 PM

the fact that you are arguing whether UF was overrated or not is itself proof of the bias

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#95 : January 07, 2013, 10:17:48 PM

oh wow, my bad.  didnt realize you really believed a team who lost to syracuse and uconn should be a top 5 team.  thought you were joking.

Joking or not, Olaf is clearly using absurd logic in this thread to justify the absurd positions.

the fact that you are arguing whether UF was overrated or not is itself proof of the bias

If anyone argues ND is overrated or not, they are biased.  See, it's easy play your ridiculous game.

Oh, and by the way, this is seven National Championships in a row for the best conference in country.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#96 : January 07, 2013, 10:18:16 PM

was UF overrated when they beat TxA&M?  was UF overrated when they beat LSU?  was UF overrated when they beat USC?  was UF overrated when they beat FSU?  no bias here. 

tell me where you think UF should have been ranked on Jan 1 and who should have been in front of them?  oh wait, you wont.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#97 : January 07, 2013, 10:34:54 PM

I'm not sure what absurd logic I am using.  Louisville manhandled UF, yet he can't admit they were overrated at #3.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#98 : January 07, 2013, 10:42:50 PM

tell me where you think UF should have been ranked on Jan 1 and who should have been in front of them?  oh wait, you wont.

An 11-1 team that the NCAA said played the toughest schedule on the country?  Yeah, they were overrated all right.

I'd say an undefeated Notre Dame team who also played a very tough schedule is overrated too.  It's 35-0 with seven minutes left in the 3rd quarter.  Every team that loses is overrated.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#99 : January 07, 2013, 10:48:00 PM

I'm not sure what absurd logic I am using.  Louisville manhandled UF, yet he can't admit they were overrated at #3.

why are you so scared to answer the question?  when the regular sesaon ended, where would you have ranked UF?  where should they have been ranked if rated correctly?

Buc on the Move

Pro Bowler

#100 : January 07, 2013, 11:37:20 PM

I guess we could start with Louisville should have been ranked higher than Florida and Clemson higher than LSU.

That's absurd logic, and I'm pretty sure you know it.

Or maybe A&M should be ranked above Alabama.

yep so that means louisville>UF>A&M>Bama. by your logic louisville should now be given the national title. also FSU>Clemson>LSU>A&M>Bama apparently

I love it, by this 6 degrees of BCS Bacon logic, we could probably give most teams out there a number 1 ranking.  This is fun!

It will be a great day when a playoff system is finally in place, and arguments like these, in this thread, will become less relevant and things will actually be settled on the field.

i hope you didnt think i was being serious. i was making a joke about how ridiculous Olaf's comment about louiville being ranked ahead of florida was
I found the whole thing hilarious, I knew you weren't being serious, but in my head, I let the loops go around for a minute on that logic, and found it a very funny idea.  I don't think about college football much, so maybe it's easy for me to get carried away.

I guess if we applied the same logic to the NFL, the Bucs are better than the Falcons, because we beat them by 5 when they only beat us by 1...

Runole

Hall of Famer
#101 : January 08, 2013, 08:19:47 AM

The point is both UF and Notre Dame had Cinderella seasons but the clock struck 12 on both of them in the bowls which is the ultimate determiner of success at the end of the season for the conflicted way CFB is run without a playoff.

Both were finally exposed and embarrassed in their bowl games.  It could be argued that Louisville's dominating win over UF was the most embarrassing since Bama pretty much beats everyone though Notre Dame  clearly was over rated.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#102 : January 08, 2013, 08:29:50 AM

"it is tough to win in the SEC"

How often has this been stated on the airwaves?   Heck ,even Bobby Bowden made the statement so it has to be "Golden" Right?

Well since South Carolina and Arkansas entered the SEC in 1992.  There has been 21 times that an SEC team was undefeated in its own division EAST or WEST , went undefeated during the SEC regular season, or had a perfect season.

21 times!

I may be wrong but is there any BCS conference that has had more than that since 1992?

Again this is not making anything against the statement that the SEC has more good teams than any other conference.  It is only a statement questioning that "it is nearly impossible or tough to go undefeated in the SEC."   From my view it certainly doesn't look as difficult as many believe.

So based on the above is it a Myth or a Fact with the statement?  I say Bobby you are wrong as is anyone else that believes the statement.

Anyone provide a valid counterpoint other than the usual personal "insult the poster" stuff?

I realize that is the only thing "impossible" in this thread given some of the responses by the usual suspects.

lolz that you think this is a good argument.

Laugh all you want .  Doesn't change the fact that most assuredly by the number 21 that it indeed isn't that tough to win in the SEC in any given year.

When was the last time Vandy, Kentucky, or even Tennessee beat Florida?      No wonder Florida dropped Miami from their annual schedule and refuses to play any out of conference regular season game outside the state of Florida...  Who could blame them after Syracuse made those gator hides into a fine pair of shoes after walking all over them in New York!    :D   

HEY GREAT GAME AGAINST LOUISVILLE!   :P :D ;D

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#103 : January 08, 2013, 10:39:02 AM

I have breaking new for senile old coot:  the SEC has won an unprecedented seven, that's "7" for the mentally challenged, National Championships in a row.  Bow at the feet and kiss the ring(s) - all seven.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#104 : January 08, 2013, 09:03:33 PM

why are you so scared to answer the question?  when the regular sesaon ended, where would you have ranked UF?  where should they have been ranked if rated correctly?

I don't have to answer your questions.    I list the teams I think should have been ranked ahead and you go through the list trying to disprove them.  It's irrelevant and I'm not interested in  your debate.    The fact is they were spanked on a neutral field by Louisville and they are STILL ranked 4 spots higher than them in the final poll.   And now the fact that Louisville lost during the season to a team that finished 5-7 apparently carries more weight than the fact that Louisville manhandled UF on the field.  Nope, no bias at all.  You are correct.
: January 08, 2013, 09:16:05 PM olafberserker
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: BCS Conferences « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools