Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 20th pick will be... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#60 : January 16, 2011, 01:14:23 PM

Maybe you don't get it because you are listing stats instead of watching. Quinn is a bit of a risk because of his brain tumor and being off for a year, but there is no doubt that he can be a game changing DE/OLB in the NFL. I mean just watch the kid and see what he can do. He is potentially the type of player you have to game plan for. He might just end up being a Polamalu or Ray Lewis type of player. That is why even after an entire year away from football he is still expected to go top 5.

Clayborn put up some nice stats one year, but nobody is going to be game planning for the guy. He's just another fat D-lineman that does a pretty good job.

Since I'm not watching, and apparently you are, go ahead and tell me one game where Quinn dominated a game for 4 quarters like Adrian Clayborn did in last year's Orange Bowl.

I'll be waiting....

Look, I'm not saying you specifically haven't watched, but you listed stats and said you didn't understand. If you've watched both guys play then I'm not sure what you don't understand.

I personally am not interested in who dominated an entire game and who didn't for the same reason I don't care much about stats. It's because it is college. College is so different from the NFL. Half the time you have goofy offenses or teams with talent slightly better than High School. When I watch a defensive guys film I look at his motor, his ability to see the play before it develops, his tackling fundamentals, his use of hands to disengage and shed blocks, and his ability to change direction and accelerate. Those are the things that matter to me.

When you look at the two players in those terms it is clear why one is considered top 5 after a year away from the game and the other's stock has taken a nose dive.

DaRealdeal

Rookie
#61 : January 16, 2011, 01:25:41 PM

Maybe you don't get it because you are listing stats instead of watching. Quinn is a bit of a risk because of his brain tumor and being off for a year, but there is no doubt that he can be a game changing DE/OLB in the NFL. I mean just watch the kid and see what he can do. He is potentially the type of player you have to game plan for. He might just end up being a Polamalu or Ray Lewis type of player. That is why even after an entire year away from football he is still expected to go top 5.

Clayborn put up some nice stats one year, but nobody is going to be game planning for the guy. He's just another fat D-lineman that does a pretty good job.

Since I'm not watching, and apparently you are, go ahead and tell me one game where Quinn dominated a game for 4 quarters like Adrian Clayborn did in last year's Orange Bowl.

I'll be waiting....

Look, I'm not saying you specifically haven't watched, but you listed stats and said you didn't understand. If you've watched both guys play then I'm not sure what you don't understand.

I personally am not interested in who dominated an entire game and who didn't for the same reason I don't care much about stats. It's because it is college. College is so different from the NFL. Half the time you have goofy offenses or teams with talent slightly better than High School. When I watch a defensive guys film I look at his motor, his ability to see the play before it develops, his tackling fundamentals, his use of hands to disengage and shed blocks, and his ability to change direction and accelerate. Those are the things that matter to me.

When you look at the two players in those terms it is clear why one is considered top 5 after a year away from the game and the other's stock has taken a nose dive.

So what are you looking for exactly?

You say that Quinn is potentially a Ray Lewis/Troy Polamalu type. I can only assume that you said that because Lewis and Polamalu change the way offenses play because they have the ability to dominate a game. Adrian Clayborn has dominated games before. He has that ability and he showed that in the 2009 Orange Bowl. Has Quinn ever dominated a game like Clayborn did in that game? No. So why does Quinn have that potential while Clayborn doesn't? Is it purely your opinion in terms of how you project the two? If so, I can accept that.

I have no problem with anyone loving Quinn. He's a top-10 talent in this class with awesome potential. What I don't understand is why there is such a gap between he and Quinn. There shouldn't be.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

#62 : January 16, 2011, 01:27:09 PM

Originally Posted by herkyhawkeye http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2479929#post2479929
"Clayborn if he wants to work hard and get back in the right state of mind, He will be a stud for some team. This year he wasnt. He gained weight, Became full of himself, and was out of shape for much of the season. He gave up on plays multiple times a game and is a very poor tackler. Very risky prospect because the guy has it but you dont know if he will revert back to his Junior season form. Bigtime hit or miss NFL prospect."

I saw the same thing and only watched his bowl game. lol

Clayborn was the same player just got a lot more attention after having a breakout year. Let me know what other Talent was on the Dline with him, with Morris as his coach dedication won't be a problem. I'm pretty sure clayborn will be one of the best rookie DE's next year write it down. Before I clicked on the link I thought it was something officially said about him not a fans say.

Why would you not think it wasn't a fan? I thought I made it clear who posted this. lol

I thought you would bring something credible instead of what a fan says.

Or you didn't read my whole post. Besides, I didn't watch everyone of his games, this guy did. Aaaaaaaaand, he has no reason to bash the kid, since he is a HAWKEY fan and all. Sooooo, I thought it was releveant to this discussion, sir.

Sue me.

I wasn't being a smart a just sayin. Fans can be really bias when it comes to there favorite players.

Bro, that is exactly why I posted that dude's opinion. He should be biased but he isn't. He calls it like it is. Best type of fan, IMO.

The quest for .500 begins...

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

#63 : January 16, 2011, 01:29:10 PM

I'll be waiting....

So what are you looking for exactly?

You say that Quinn is potentially a Ray Lewis/Troy Polamalu type. I can only assume that you said that because Lewis and Polamalu change the way offenses play because they have the ability to dominate a game. Adrian Clayborn has dominated games before. He has that ability and he showed that in the 2009 Orange Bowl. Has Quinn ever dominated a game like Clayborn did in that game? No. So why does Quinn have that potential while Clayborn doesn't? Is it purely your opinion in terms of how you project the two? If so, I can accept that.

I have no problem with anyone loving Quinn. He's a top-10 talent in this class with awesome potential. What I don't understand is why there is such a gap between he and Quinn. There shouldn't be.

Quinn fast twitch RE type.

Clayborn pudgy run stopper LE type.

Look around the league and tell me which of these is more rare.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#64 : January 16, 2011, 01:46:58 PM

Fans can be really bias when it comes to there favorite players.

This is fairly ironic.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

#65 : January 16, 2011, 02:04:11 PM

I'll be waiting....

Virginia 2009, sir.

http://www.virginiasports.com/fls/17800/stats/football/2009/va1003.htm#GAME.DEF
: January 16, 2011, 02:09:12 PM bullg8rdaddy

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#66 : January 16, 2011, 02:46:46 PM

Justin Houston @ 20!!!!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#67 : January 16, 2011, 03:12:10 PM

Justin Houston @ 20!!!!

The deadline to declare was yesterday. I don't think he declared. If I'm wrong, then yes he'd be my choice at 20 if Kerrigan and Quinn are both gone.

* NVM....just read that he did indeed declare yesterday. I'm down with Houston. Most sites have him listed as an OLB, but as long as he's truly 6'3 255lbs, then I think he is perfect for our RDE. Plus he can skate out into coverage as an OLB when asked to.
: January 16, 2011, 03:15:48 PM JDouble

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#68 : January 16, 2011, 03:15:12 PM

Justin Houston @ 20!!!!

The deadline to declare was yesterday. I don't think he declared. If I'm wrong, then yes he'd be my choice at 20 if Kerrigan and Quinn are both gone.

He declared:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20110116_Sports_in_Brief__Georgia_star_to_enter_draft.html

buccnation

Starter
#69 : January 16, 2011, 03:19:25 PM

I am a big aldon smith fan as well as Quinn and clayborn. Could clayborn be a strahan type of end for us?

Lovin the Lovie

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#70 : January 16, 2011, 03:33:50 PM

I am a big aldon smith fan as well as Quinn and clayborn. Could clayborn be a strahan type of end for us?

Strahan was 6'5" 255-260lbs. He was a large LB with the strength to play DE. Almost identical body type as Robert Quinn.

Clayborn is 6'3" 285lbs. That's almost exactly the same measurements as Brian Price.

Far, far different type of guys.

Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 20th pick will be... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools