Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Charley Casserly on Josh Freeman... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8

Madman

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 16, 2011, 11:44:47 AM

Take a look at Freeman's last month. He was consistently passing the ball to 8-10 different receivers a game! Very Brady-like. How do you do that without going through your progressions Charlie?

Ramonb

Pro Bowler

#16 : January 16, 2011, 11:49:32 AM

heres a comparison
http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=FRE183259&player2=SAN091667&player3=null&player4=null&position=quarterback&playerOne=Josh+Freeman&playerTwo=Mark+Sanchez&playerThree=Select+a+Player...&playerFour=Select+a+Player...

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 16, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Take a look at Freeman's last month. He was consistently passing the ball to 8-10 different receivers a game! Very Brady-like. How do you do that without going through your progressions Charlie?

As I agree with this and I do think he got better as the year went on but there is a difference of looking down your progressions and plays designing to go to specific receivers. He got better as the year went on but there was still a lot of times where he was caught staring down 1 receiver or not making it pass the second receiver in his progression.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 16, 2011, 11:57:28 AM

If the draft were done over again, I'd still take Stafford first, Sanchez second, and Freeman third."

After today's game, ask the Jets who they'd take if they had a "do over".  My guess it would't be Sanchez.

I know quite a few Jets fans who already feel that way.

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 16, 2011, 12:00:33 PM

Charlie's only good move was Mario Williams over Reggie Bush ... and he got lucky as they were just going for which would probably cost them less.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 16, 2011, 12:06:48 PM

As I agree with this and I do think he got better as the year went on but there is a difference of looking down your progressions and plays designing to go to specific receivers. He got better as the year went on but there was still a lot of times where he was caught staring down 1 receiver or not making it pass the second receiver in his progression.

Believe me, I know the difference. Sure you have plays designed for different receivers but guys like John Gilmore and Ryan Purvis are rarely the first option. You could see Freeman going through his progressions. Guy only had 6 INTs. Couldn't have been caught staring down receivers too many times. I'm just not buying it. That's just a national analyst who hasn't really watched Freeman play. Stafford can't stay on the field and Sanchez's numbers aren't even close to Freeman. Anyone who would still take Stafford or Sanchez over Freeman should be seriously questioned.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 16, 2011, 12:10:56 PM

Casserly is a moron. Every year when I see him start rambling on around draft time it makes me want to puke. The guy is literally clueless. I mean, a lot of the talking heads say a lot of stupid things, but Cassrly just constantly has 100% pure ignorance pouring out his pie hole. I would do the exact opposite of whatever he says every time.

As far as this particular comment....

Sanchez with a team of veteran probowlers.....3291 yards - 17 TDs - 13 Ints and a 75.3 QB Rating

Freeman leading the youngest team in the NFL..... 3451 yards - 25 TDs - 6 Ints and a 95.9 QB Rating

Glass cannon Stafford can't even stay healthy long enough to factor into the equation. He's one more injury away from being Chad Pennington....and yet Casserly would still take him #1? Idiot.

On top of all this Freeman was the #2 QB in rushing behind Vick. He has incredible ability to escape and extend plays and his season made quite a highlight real. He's got more 4th quater comebacks than "Sanchez the comeback kid" and 10x the leader. Casserly can suck it.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 16, 2011, 12:11:41 PM

heres a comparison
http://www.nfl.com/stats/headtohead?player1=FRE183259&player2=SAN091667&player3=null&player4=null&position=quarterback&playerOne=Josh+Freeman&playerTwo=Mark+Sanchez&playerThree=Select+a+Player...&playerFour=Select+a+Player...

Exactly.

Freeman 25 TDS / 6 INTs   95.9 rating   
Sanchez 17 TDs / 13 INTs  75.3 rating

Wow, check out Freeman with 29 first downs rushing!

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 16, 2011, 12:14:01 PM

Believe me, I know the difference. Sure you have plays designed for different receivers but guys like John Gilmore and Ryan Purvis are rarely the first option. You could see Freeman going through his progressions. Guy only had 6 INTs. Couldn't have been caught staring down receivers too many times. I'm just not buying it. That's just a national analyst who hasn't really watched Freeman play. Stafford can't stay on the field and Sanchez's numbers aren't even close to Freeman. Anyone who would still take Stafford or Sanchez over Freeman should be seriously questioned.

Actually those plays to Purvis and Gilmore were designed to themm. Thats why Olson is such a good OC he gets everybody involved and keeps throwing off the other team and he uses Freemans advantages and tries to avoid his weaknesses. Freeman did get better as the year went on but just like the last int during the Falcons game. Same exact play was ran earlier he stared down the receiver ball almost got picked off. They run the play again and he stares down the receiver ball gets picked off and we lose. Freeman has done nothing more then impress me and I believe he is way ahead of schedule with his developement but his two biggest weaknesses IMO our going through his progressions and his touch passes short to mid range.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 16, 2011, 12:16:48 PM

Lol....I'd love to hear how you think you know those plays were designed for a specific target.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 16, 2011, 12:17:05 PM

IMHO Casserly is right occasionally, but not enough to spell a problem. He started down MW on the Grimes pick (drop) in the second Atlanta game. He got away with a few that Reed almost picked off in the Baltimore game. And he did it in the first Atlanta game too. But if you watch him closely, he doesn't make this mistake consistently. In a given year, you can see him throwing 12 or 13 picks, but if this were a serious problem it would mean 20 picks or so. IMHO, he's good at running through his progressions, but not great yet. And that's the scary thing; if he gets better in this area, he'll be right there among the top three or four QBs in the league. Given his work ethic and intelligence, I can easily see it happening.
Sanchez disappears in games. He SAGS, gives off bad body language. I wouldn't trade him for Freeman in a million years, even with his three playoff wins.
Stafford may still be the best of the lot, but his injury problems this early are a bad sign. No way I'd take him over Freeman right now.

In Verner We Trust

Hate

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 16, 2011, 12:18:54 PM

Didn't i hear/read that Free threw to 19 different receivers this yr?

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 16, 2011, 12:21:46 PM

He got better as the year went on but there was still a lot of times where he was caught staring down 1 receiver or not making it pass the second receiver in his progression.

When were these "lot of times he was caught staring down 1 receiver"?

Madman

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 16, 2011, 12:22:49 PM

Actually those plays to Purvis and Gilmore were designed to themm. Thats why Olson is such a good OC he gets everybody involved and keeps throwing off the other team and he uses Freemans advantages and tries to avoid his weaknesses. Freeman did get better as the year went on but just like the last int during the Falcons game. Same exact play was ran earlier he stared down the receiver ball almost got picked off. They run the play again and he stares down the receiver ball gets picked off and we lose. Freeman has done nothing more then impress me and I believe he is way ahead of schedule with his developement but his two biggest weaknesses IMO our going through his progressions and his touch passes short to mid range.

Sure he can improve on that (like any young QB) but to say that's a reason why you'd take someone like Sanchez (with 13 INTS and only 17TDs) over him is ridiculous. Sanchez must be doing an amazing job of going through his progressions before he throws an incomplete pass or INT. Yes, he did stare down the receiver on both Grimes INTs but that happens to every NFL QB. It's hard to complain about a QB with a 25/6 ratio.

: January 16, 2011, 12:24:27 PM Madman

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 16, 2011, 12:24:36 PM

The funny part is Sanchez DEFINITELY stares down receivers.

Freeman is usually running for  his life and has to locate an alternative target on the fly.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Charley Casserly on Josh Freeman... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools