Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ruud never makes splash plays... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#75 : January 18, 2011, 05:23:47 PM

Give us some numbers, please.

Ruud earned $3.268 million on his tender for 2010. That's lower than what far less productive players than him make in a year. Use that as a starting point and add some performance incentives.

So you don't think he is worth Bart Scott, Derrick Johnson, or Lofa Tatupu coin, right?

/Not being a smart azz.

Personally, I don't think Bart Scott is worth the money he makes. He has been a second fiddle his entire NFL career. 8 mil a year is retarded for what he brings to the table. But that, my friend, is the magic of free agency. In Tatupu's case, from what I can tell, his contract averages out to about just over 5 mil a year. That's actually not as rich a contract as someone like him could get on the open market, i.e. the Bart Scott deal. I would not be opposed to Ruud earning somewhere in that neighborhood in an incentive laden contract.

Tatupu rewarded with a six-year contract extension for $42 million which includes more than $18 million in guarantees. March 21, 2008

More like 7 million per year (if my math is right), but it doesn't matter because I agree with you, good sir, 5 million (including incentives) per year for 5 years max would be ok with me.

This is why, he is still young, has not had the benefit of playing behind 2 quality NFL DTs, and lastly because I believe starting over with a new MLB might be counterproductive to this teams' chances of making a nice little run for the next 5-7 years. 

The quest for .500 begins...

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#76 : January 18, 2011, 05:32:30 PM

Since we have won with them as starters, then the argument could certainly be made that they do enough for us to win games, couldn't it?

Not by any sane person.  It was clear how replaceable they were after their injuries and the PS scrubs did just as well if not better.  And there were many who were just as adamant about their needing to be re-signed as you are about Ruud.  Bottom line is they are all replaceable.

Did we get the answer to who said Ruud never made splash plays?

Very few were calling for Trueblood to be resigned. He got injured and opened the door for Lee. After seeing that losing Trueblood didn't hurt the team that much, the team to decide mid-season to move on from Trueblood. That is far more of an indictment than what Joseph or Ruud have received this year, and I think  there is a chance that both are actually resigned. But as far as Trueblood not doing enough for us to win, that's false. He did enough for us to win. Luckily for the Bucs, however, so did James Lee. They found Trueblood's replacement without having to dish big coin for a FA or spend a high draft pick on him. If that were the case for Ruud, then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

As for who said Ruud never makes splash plays, seriously. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've seen it written on message boards. Is the fact that some have this opinion of Ruud news to you?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#77 : January 18, 2011, 06:00:53 PM

i think FRG nailed it.  replacing ruud is like replacing garcia.  sure, garcia didnt do much wrong.  he knew the offense.  he knew how to not make mistakes.  but the team needed more from the position.  sure, garcia made some great plays.  he was a great game manager.  he had a lot of heart.  he was a team guy.  but the team needed more from the position.  the team needed an attacking mindset, not a safe mindset.

and yes, i know its not an exact comparison.  but it rings true to me.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#78 : January 18, 2011, 06:08:24 PM

Very few were calling for Trueblood to be resigned.

About the same number of those calling for Ruud to be re-signed, actually.  Hell, there is one poster on here that said they both should have been re-signed prior to the end of this season because they would be "too expensive" to re-sign after 2010.

And if you're referring to people that irrationally hate Ruud (like Samari) as saying he has "never" made a splash play - I still haven't seen it.  I find him to be equally as tiresome on this issue as you.  He's not as bad as Samari thinks and he's not as good as you think.

Either way, it's not the splash plays that's the problem.  The problem is the other 1,000+ plays he's on the field that makes him look replaceable.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#79 : January 18, 2011, 06:15:39 PM

Tatupu rewarded with a six-year contract extension for $42 million which includes more than $18 million in guarantees. March 21, 2008

More like 7 million per year (if my math is right), but it doesn't matter because I agree with you, good sir, 5 million (including incentives) per year for 5 years max would be ok with me.

This is why, he is still young, has not had the benefit of playing behind 2 quality NFL DTs, and lastly because I believe starting over with a new MLB might be counterproductive to this teams' chances of making a nice little run for the next 5-7 years.

The way I read it, the deal preempted his rookie deal that still had 2 years remaining on it, so rather than it being 42 million over 6 years, it was actually 42 million over 8 years. I could be wrong though. I'm not totally sure how it pays out. But yes, I agree with you 100% on Ruud. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 mil, play ball. Anything much more than that then I think you will see a new MLB for the Bucs in 2011.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ruud never makes splash plays... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools