Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson to San Fran? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

Bucs Capacitor

Hall of Famer
#15 : January 18, 2011, 09:05:59 PM

I love the idea of trading him, but I just hope that we don't sit on our ensuing lack of depth at QB.  I would hope we'd sign a vet to back up, but I totally see us just signing some no-name walk on.

Not that I should have much reason to doubt this FO when it comes to depth...

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 18, 2011, 09:09:30 PM

JJ for willis straight up?

no matter what, i think a JJ trade almost needs to be made.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 18, 2011, 09:22:35 PM

I don't think Frisco lets us anywhere near their 1st round pick. They have extra picks in the 4th and 6th round. Their picks in those two rounds would be a deal I could live with.

As for a backup, the fact is, the coaches are fond of Carpenter, so the guy must be doing something right. I know he is tough as nails. He got tore up at Arizona State behind a terrible O-Line and still posted some good digits against top notch competition. Of course I would feel better with Johnson under center if Freeman went down, but he's gone in 2012 any way you slice it. Get some picks for the guy, and trust the coaches in regards to Carpenter.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 18, 2011, 10:05:51 PM

Im personally feeling the switching second round picks for him.

Josh Johnson
2nd round

to SF for

their 2nd round pick

They get a qb without having to give up a draft pick.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 18, 2011, 10:19:17 PM

I'm down with it mainly because Freeman seems pretty durable, and also because Josh Johnson is pretty talented and he deserves a chance to start somewhere and I think he'll be able to as well. With that said, I do hope we get solid compensation for him. If San Fran tries offering something like a 5th rounder I'd laugh and shop him around elsewhere.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 18, 2011, 10:28:22 PM

Time for Dom to, and I borrow this from Chev because I love the phrase, "Put on the ski mask".

Wanna buy JJ?  I could care less where he was drafted, what his perceived worth is...pay up Jimmy.  Pay!

Otherwise, roll with Smitty the schiddty, and Smith the Wiff.  JJ is what you NEED to progress your offense.  JJ has a brilliant football mind!  JJ can run!  JJ did it with you, and broke records Jimmy!  You only want to offer a 4th?  Kiss the ring buddy...KISS THE RING!

JJ to Frisco should only happen if they offer a lot more than what is being slapped around here.  Otherwise, roll with him again. 

Ski mask.  thanks Chev.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 18, 2011, 11:17:59 PM

Lots of teams with top notch QBs are screwed if their No. 1 guy goes down.

So that means we should take the risk too??

The Bucs aren't winning anything with Josh Johnson either. So if a team wants him for a good price...away he goes.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

tbb345

Starter
#22 : January 18, 2011, 11:32:00 PM

Josh Johnson, our 1st and 4th this year and a 4th next year for their 1st this year. Then you take Robert Quinn

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 18, 2011, 11:38:15 PM

JJ for willis straight up?

no matter what, i think a JJ trade almost needs to be made.

Dunno, I think we can get Vernon Davis too.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#24 : January 19, 2011, 12:00:37 AM

LMAO Love that "Put on the ski mask"

The quest for .500 begins...

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#25 : January 19, 2011, 12:02:16 AM

Josh Johnson, our 1st and 4th this year and a 4th next year for their 1st this year. Then you take Robert Quinn

Would probably have to throw in our 2012 1st or 2nd instead of the 2012 4th. BUT, if things work out, we should be picking late in the rounds anyways. :D

The quest for .500 begins...

tbb345

Starter
#26 : January 19, 2011, 12:36:35 AM

I think you missed that I said our 1st rounder this year would be in the trade. If we trade Josh Johnson and a 1st rounder to move up 13 spots in this draft, then Johnson would pretty much have negative value

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#27 : January 19, 2011, 01:42:11 AM

wateva the cost just make it happen, but i agree with Boid Fink, put the ski mask on Dom! Don't dare settle for less, if they want him pay up! need i remind everyone that in the summer of 2010 a good majority of nfl experts, fans, and analysis had picked the 49ers to go all the way. i even predicted them to have the #1 defense in 2010, and don't deny them because just like the Cowboys and the Bengals, the 49ers had one of the best teams on paper. They just choked, an when it happens like that the coach and the QB always get the blame! and let me finish with this, it would look really bad if we gave JJ away and he torched us an took the 49ers deeper in the playoffs then us.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 19, 2011, 02:06:07 AM

The Bucs aren't winning anything with Josh Johnson either. So if a team wants him for a good price...away he goes.

was thinking the same thing.  not sure what drives people to thinking hes such a great backup other than knowing the playbook. Maybe his 20 or so plays he got in on this year? or his poor performances last year in the debacle of a season?

in 2009 he had 4 starts, and every game he threw more INTs than TDs except one game where he threw 1TD and 1INT. Theres a bunch of excuse you could make, but fact is he played poorly at best.

this year he got a few snaps(10ish) as a wildact option and a few snaps at the end of the Steelers game if i remember correctly. nothing special cam out of any of those plays as none of them went for over 20 yards or resulted in points. The guys not even a game manager at this point.

That said, take whatever you can get. Yeah its cute to have a wildcat guy, but he provides no more hope than vetran backup. I actually have more faith in a vet backup. hell, i almost have as much faith in carpenter at this point.

If Freeman goes down, the bucs are in trouble if JJ or Carpenter are the QB.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 19, 2011, 02:11:16 AM

was thinking the same thing.  not sure what drives people to thinking hes such a great backup other than knowing the playbook. Maybe his 20 or so plays he got in on this year? or his poor performances last year in the debacle of a season?

in 2009 he had 4 starts, and every game he threw more INTs than TDs except one game where he threw 1TD and 1INT. Theres a bunch of excuse you could make, but fact is he played poorly at best.

this year he got a few snaps(10ish) as a wildact option and a few snaps at the end of the Steelers game if i remember correctly. nothing special cam out of any of those plays as none of them went for over 20 yards or resulted in points. The guys not even a game manager at this point.

That said, take whatever you can get. Yeah its cute to have a wildcat guy, but he provides no more hope than vetran backup. I actually have more faith in a vet backup. hell, i almost have as much faith in carpenter at this point.

If Freeman goes down, the bucs are in trouble if JJ or Carpenter are the QB.

JJ was set up to fail last year and they wanted Freeman to start the whole time they were just making sure there would be no QB controversary. Thats exactly why Raheem called JJ a lifetime backup. The majority of the plays JJ was involved in this year resulted in a first down probably more then 90% of the time. I like him as our back up and I feel really comfortable with him starting if Freeman goes down. With that said if the 49erd would offer something like the Seahawks did for Charlie last year I'd jump all over it (3rd round pick and a swap of 2nds).. I still believe he could be a good quarterback especially on a team like the 49ers.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson to San Fran? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools