Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson to San Fran? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#45 : January 19, 2011, 08:46:34 AM

considering he has never won a game at the NFL level and didn't play significant snaps last year you can't even say he is a good backup.  He is an unknown.

He hasn't even come close to winning a game in the NFL, but look at the defense he was playing with! They surely didn't help him out much. Certainly people with less talent have won games so there is much more to it than the W-L ratio. I do think that JJ has more value to San Fran than other teams. They want to move back to the traditional west coast offense and that, if i'm not mistaken, is the offense JJ ran in college and the offense that I consider him best for. He seems to have the ability to be an accurate passer but not close to the arm strength that Freeman has.

Not true at all. JJ has that Vick like ability to fire lasers with the flick of his wrist. Arm strength along with lighting fast release is what makes him special.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#46 : January 19, 2011, 08:56:41 AM

Or how about this one. He throws from the 25 to the 30. That's 55 yards in the air and he tosses it while on the run like it's nothing.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d813b639b/Josh-Johnson-Highlight-WK-07-vs-Patriots-2009

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#47 : January 19, 2011, 08:57:10 AM

All of which got him drafted in the 5th round as a project.  Not saying the guy doesn't have some talent.  But geez, some of you guys are acting like he's some stud sitting on our bench.  For whatever reason, whenever I've seen him play there seems to be something missing.  He lacks the "it" factor that starting QBs have.  I noticed it immediately when I saw Freeman play for the 1st time.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#48 : January 19, 2011, 09:06:14 AM

All of which got him drafted in the 5th round as a project.  Not saying the guy doesn't have some talent.  But geez, some of you guys are acting like he's some stud sitting on our bench.  For whatever reason, whenever I've seen him play there seems to be something missing.  He lacks the "it" factor that starting QBs have.  I noticed it immediately when I saw Freeman play for the 1st time.

Gruden drafted him with the idea of molding him into our starter. He is a stud on the bench. He will get a shot to compete as starter somewhere.

However, Agree he lacks the "it" factor. He doesn';t have that alpha dog leader mentality that great QBs need. Because of that, ultimately I don't see him ever being a successful starting QB in the NFL...but it won't be because of smarts or talent.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#49 : January 19, 2011, 09:15:05 AM

I agree with this. I mentioned on another board last season that Johnson seemed to play okay when he was in, but I saw an immediate difference with Freeman. They both had the rookie growing pains, but Freeman would attempt to complete passes that Johnson wouldn't. Freeman seemed more confident and fearless. He would try to split defenders and fit the ball in tight spots. Johnson seemed timid and controlled, and missed a lot of opportunities because of it. Does he have "it"? Not yet. Could he become a good NFL QB under Jim Harbaugh? My bets are on yes. But the 49ers are going to give us value for what he is worth now, not what they think he will be worth 2 or 3 years from now. That's why I say if we can land the 49ers 4th and 6th (they pick at the top of both rounds), or a 3rd, that is pretty good compensation for a player that we only have a 5th round pick invested in and that has a 56.9 career passer rating.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#50 : January 19, 2011, 09:17:13 AM

awww, cmon. dudes a capable starter that can win games. lol. Thats why the Bucs went out and drafted Freeman, security for JJ.

I guess the concensus is hes was setup to fail for the last 3 years and that why he he hasnt shown his true capabilities. last year, he didnt perform better than Lefty or Freeman because the coaches were out to get him(keep him a backup). I mean he came within 3 points of beating the deadskins....that screams starter. The dude got a few first downs this year as a wildcat too, cant forget about that greatness.

you can say STUD!!!!

*if you cant tell that im laying the sarcasm on pretty thick

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#51 : January 19, 2011, 01:21:58 PM

I think you guys are going to be disappointed by what we get for him if a trade does get worked out.  It's not like the 49ers would be acquiring him to be their starting QB, although he would probably have a chance to compete for it.

If they want a young QB that can run to back up Alex Smith, they already have Troy Smith.

They won't be giving up anything for JJ unless they plan on him winning the starting job.

Both Smiths are a free agent and of course he would be the plan to start if they traded for him... Look at what Seattle did to get Charlie. If we can do something even close to that then we have to do it. But there is no way we should trade him away for peanuts.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#52 : January 19, 2011, 01:37:21 PM

We have a capable backup in Carpenter.  If we can get anything for JJ you take it, and then use a late pick on a #3QB to groom or pick up another UDFA.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#53 : January 19, 2011, 01:56:42 PM

If we can get a 4th round pick for a guy we got in the 5th, I'd be happy... anything more would be gravy.  Then I'd take a run at Tyler Thigpen, Troy Smith, Brodie Croyle, or Kerry Collins as a backup.  I'd be ok with anyone of them.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#54 : January 19, 2011, 03:27:05 PM

We have a capable backup in Carpenter.  If we can get anything for JJ you take it, and then use a late pick on a #3QB to groom or pick up another UDFA.

Carpenter is a 100% unknown. To say he is a capable back up is utter nonsense.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#55 : January 19, 2011, 04:00:29 PM

I think this has a decent shot of happening, since all of the QB's coming out this year are somewhat questionable, new coaches like to start with a young QB and if it's one they are familiar with even more so, and it would free the 49ers up to address defense.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#56 : January 19, 2011, 04:22:01 PM

If we get a 3rd for him then Dominik should get a huge extension.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#57 : January 19, 2011, 04:24:15 PM

Carpenter is a 100% unknown. To say he is a capable back up is utter nonsense.

Carpenter's performance in practice and preseason has been on par with Johnson.  There's as much to be comfortable there as with Johnson, who has had poor regular season performance.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#58 : January 19, 2011, 04:28:22 PM

Yeah Rudy is awesome.....

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Josh Johnson to San Fran? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools