Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper has Bucs getting Kerrigan at #20 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 19, 2011, 01:10:02 PM

ESPN's Kiper thinks Bucs will draft defensive end first

By ANWAR RICHARDSON | The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 19, 2011

Updated: 23 min. ago

TAMPA - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have struggled to get production from their defensive ends and ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. believes that area will be addressed this offseason.

Kiper predicts Tampa Bay will select Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan with its 20th overall pick in this year's NFL Draft. Kerrigan (6-foot-4 and 259 pounds) had 56 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks and two forced fumbles last season. He also was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

"He was a sack artist," Kiper said today on ESPN. "This kid was in that backfield being disruptive. Everybody knew when you played Purdue, Ryan Kerrigan was a guy you targeted, tried to neutralize. Well, nobody could.

"This kid was on fire from day one. He was a guy who got into that backfield and was wreaking havoc. He's a guy who comes hard play after play. There is never any letup. He doesn't take any downs off."

Simeon Rice, who played for Tampa Bay until 2007, might be the last Bucs defensive end who fit Kiper's description.

Tampa Bay drafted former Clemson defensive end Gaines Adams fourth overall in the 2007 NFL Draft, but he was eventually traded to Chicago in 2009 after failing to meet expectations. Adams was replaced by Stylez G. White, who had only 4.5 sacks last season and ultimately was benched in favor of Michael Bennett. White, 31, is a free agent this year.

Last year, Tampa Bay's defense was ranked 30th in sacks per pass play and Kiper believes Kerrigan could help improve Tampa Bay's pass rush.

"When you look at Tampa Bay, a defense that added Gerald McCoy (first round draft pick in 2010), who needs to step it up next year at the defensive tackle spot, but certainly Kerrigan will give them that outside pass rusher," Kiper said. "If McCoy comes through inside, you have that inside push, you have Kerrigan coming from the edge with that nonstop motor."

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 19, 2011, 01:15:45 PM

Kerrigan finished his past two season with double digit sacks in each year. As he had 12.5 in 2010 and 13 in 2009 and had 33.5 for his career.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 19, 2011, 01:21:35 PM

I hope Dracula is right.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 19, 2011, 01:28:40 PM

What are the chances he falls to 20? And if it gets close, do we trade up and make sure?

From everything you guys have said about him, it seems like we would be very fortunate to nab him as our first round pick.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 19, 2011, 01:29:31 PM

And if it gets close, do we trade up and make sure?

Dom has shown that he will move up to get his guy

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 19, 2011, 01:30:28 PM

Kiper has 6 DE's going before the Bucs, but 4 of them are 3-4 style Ends.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 19, 2011, 01:42:51 PM

Hopefully he is there at 20 but I don't know. I didn't think he was mock was very good or accurate.

barbernbrooks

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 19, 2011, 01:46:26 PM

good pick....none of this 3-4 olb/de crap
: January 19, 2011, 01:50:55 PM barbernbrooks

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 19, 2011, 01:49:39 PM

McShay has the Bucs taking Clayborn...

Tampa Bay BuccaneersRecord: 10-6
Adrian Clayborn, DE, IowaTampa Bay has a lot of needs along the defensive front seven but there's not a traditional 4-3 linebacker worth taking here, so Clayborn makes sense with his strength. He would team with DTs Gerald McCoy and Brian Price to form one of the best young defensive lines in the league.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 19, 2011, 01:54:07 PM

What are the chances he falls to 20? And if it gets close, do we trade up and make sure?

From everything you guys have said about him, it seems like we would be very fortunate to nab him as our first round pick.
I think it depends. If it's pick #15 and Kerrigan, Smith, and Houston are all there, you wait and be happy with any of them. If Smith and Houston are both gone and only Kerrigan is left, you may need to move up.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 19, 2011, 01:57:46 PM

Kerrigan is the guy I want more than anyone in this draft. I love the way he plays. If he falls to us at 20, I'd be one happy camper. I think he's going to go before us and we might have to trade up a couple spots to get him, but if we land him...that will do wonders for our D-line.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 19, 2011, 02:00:00 PM

If all 3 are there at #15, I'd move up and grab Kerrigan. Wouldn't think twice.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
#12 : January 19, 2011, 02:02:19 PM

I think it depends. If it's pick #15 and Kerrigan, Smith, and Houston are all there, you wait and be happy with any of them. If Smith and Houston are both gone and only Kerrigan is left, you may need to move up.

Without a NEW CBA, Trades will not be allowed during the draft. So barring a Miracle no one will be allowed to trade draft picks this year.

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 19, 2011, 02:05:23 PM

Without a NEW CBA, Trades will not be allowed during the draft. So barring a Miracle no one will be allowed to trade draft picks this year.

That's not true.  The trading of PICKS is allowed... not players.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 19, 2011, 02:42:14 PM

If all 3 are there at #15, I'd move up and grab Kerrigan. Wouldn't think twice.

Wholeheartedly agree.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kiper has Bucs getting Kerrigan at #20 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools