Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Browns Peyton Hillis took abuse for being white running back « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« : January 20, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »

“Every team did it,” he said. “They’ll say, ‘You white boy, you ain’t gonna run on us today. This is ridiculous. Why are you giving offensive linemen the ball?’

Browns RB Peyton Hillis was asked about the novelty of being a white running back in the NFL. Hillis said the topic is thrown in his face directly and indirectly, regularly. “I know a lot of people don’t have a lot faith in me,” he said, “and even if you have a good year or a bad year they’re still going to criticize you and say you’re not good enough. It just gives me the motivation to go out there and do better.” Hillis said his complexion always came up on the field. “Every team did it,” he said. “They’ll say, ‘You white boy, you ain’t gonna run on us today. This is ridiculous. Why are you giving offensive linemen the ball?’ “All kinds of stuff like that you hear on the field, but I use that to my advantage. I kind of soaked it in, ate it up a little bit, because I enjoyed it.” — Canton Repository

http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x512668312/Browns-Hillis-opens-up-on-team-Denver-in-radio-interview

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 20, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »

great for him!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : January 20, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »

lol - surely is.  well done Mr. Hillis.  Too bad more folks can't handle this kind of occurrence in the same manner.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

TheAman

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 20, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »

Black man always holding the white man down!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 20, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »

I'll be the first to admit I don't take white RBs seriously until they prove they are for real. Why would I? Why would anyone? There's like one great white RB every decade.

Watchman

Starter

« #5 : January 20, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

I'll admit that I don't really take any RB seriously until they've proven themselves over the course of a couple of seasons, at least.  Blount could fall off the face of the earth next year as easily as Hillis.  RB's come and go to frequently to get worked up over one good season.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 20, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »

Like to see the underdogs do well  and just cuz there are so few white rbs I hope he continues to play well.

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #7 : January 20, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »

I don't even look at him as a "white" rb. Dude can tote the pill.... and i like his no nonsense style. Glad he was on my fantasy team.

usmc-buc

Pro Bowler
« #8 : January 20, 2011, 07:34:16 PM »

I'm like Steven Colbert, I don't see race, For all I know I'm black.

In all seriousness, Who cares, I saw him score on us week 1 from a few rows back and the dude can run and score so what does it matter?

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 20, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »

I'm like Steven Colbert, I don't see race, For all I know I'm black.

thumbs up!!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 20, 2011, 07:48:48 PM »

I see a double standard - but no one expects NFL players to be politically correct.

Bschucher

Hall of Famer
« #11 : January 20, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »

I don't even look at him as a "white" rb. Dude can tote the pill.... and i like his no nonsense style. Glad he was on my fantasy team.

Someday i hope that is true of all people. I can dream cant I?

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
« #12 : January 20, 2011, 08:23:19 PM »

Dude was a beast. And mark me down as one who always likes rooting for underdogs.

The quest for .500 begins...

JDouble

Hall of Famer
« #13 : January 20, 2011, 10:07:56 PM »

He's definitely a beast. Just one of the many idiotic mistakes Josh McDaniels made in his short tenure as HC in Denver.

FreeWill

Starter

« #14 : January 20, 2011, 10:12:16 PM »

Am I supposed to feel sorry for Hillis? Seriously? Am I the only one who sees the glaring irony in all of this? And yea... I'm white.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Browns Peyton Hillis took abuse for being white running back « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools