Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2011 Tampa Bay Rays « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 44

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
: January 22, 2011, 09:48:12 PM

Out with the old, in with the new........

So, how about a projected line-up:

1.  Zobrist, B - 1B
2.  Damon, J - LF
3.  Longoria, E - 3B
4.  Ramirez, M - DH
5.  Joyce, M - RF
6.  Upton, BJ - CF
7.  Jaso, J - C
8.  Rodriguez, S - 2B
9.  Brignac, R - SS

Rotation:

1.  David Price
2.  Jeff Niemann
3.  Wade Davis
4.  Jeremy Hellickson
5.  James Shields

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 22, 2011, 10:09:04 PM

I'm hoping Joyce, Brignac, or Jaso breaks out. I'm going out on a limb that Sean Rodriguez is guaranteed to have a good season and we just need one of those three to show up every other game or so.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 23, 2011, 12:28:27 AM

Rays still lack a true leadoff hitter as Zobrist is much better down in the line-up.  Pitching staff would be a lot better with Garza and no Shields and funny how you don't list the bullpen as do the Rays even have one yet? Damon and Manny are washed up - what 38 and 39 respectively and combined hit under 20 HR's last year.  Would much rather just let Desmond Jennings have a chance in left field and amazing how BJ is all of the sudden one of the best players on this team and he has never lived up to the hype/

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 23, 2011, 02:13:20 PM

Rays still lack a true leadoff hitter as Zobrist is much better down in the line-up.

I'm sure Maddon will use Upton, Jaso, Rodriguez, Jennings, etc. in the leadoff spot at some point during the season with his crazy line-ups.  But I like Zobrist there because he's a switch hitter with a  good OBP and can run the bases.

amazing how BJ is all of the sudden one of the best players on this team

No, he's not.  He could be if he pulled his head out of his arse.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 25, 2011, 04:10:26 PM

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/content/upton%E2%80%99s-event-crawford%E2%80%99s-credit-card-joyce%E2%80%99s-health-and-rallying-cry

Upton said he is greatly looking forward to playing with, and learning from, new teammate Manny Ramirez. All the things hes done in the game, all the knowledge he has to give, Im going to be right there trying to gather it all in, Upton said. I think a lot of guys are going to be trying to do the same thing. To have a guy like that around, I cant wait.

Well, that looks like a good match.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 25, 2011, 10:23:27 PM

IMO I would roll with Damon leading off... I like the vet presence there and he gets on base at opportune times.

Damon
Zobrist
Longoria
Ramirez
Joyce
Upton
Jaso
Srod
Brignac

The most curious thing is going to be our BP, very interested to see how the roles fall.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 27, 2011, 06:49:41 PM

IMO I would roll with Damon leading off... I like the vet presence there and he gets on base at opportune times.

Yeah, Damon is another good option.  I'm sure good 'ole Joe with have everybody not named Evan and Manny lead off at some point this year.

Keith Law of ESPN has the Rays as the 2nd best organization in farm system-talent:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/content/more-praise-farm-system-no-2-ranking-8-prospects-top-100-espns-keith-law

-ts

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 29, 2011, 02:55:56 PM

Rays sign Casey Kotchman to a minor league deal and claim Rob Delaney a RHP off of waivers.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 29, 2011, 04:13:38 PM

Kotchman's best quality is his defense.  Dude has an excellent glove.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : January 29, 2011, 07:33:34 PM

Read where he is one of, if not the best fielding first basemen of all time - I recall him being a decent hitter - what caused his drop off?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 29, 2011, 08:24:37 PM

Read where he is one of, if not the best fielding first basemen of all time - I recall him being a decent hitter - what caused his drop off?

He had one good year in 2007 where he hit .296 and baseball folks expected him to build off of it, but he never did.  Remember, Kotchman was basically traded to Atlanta straight-up for Mark Teixeira.  He's got some talent.

He's from St. Pete, so maybe he can revitalize his career with the Rays like Carlos did.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 29, 2011, 09:27:23 PM

He had one good year in 2007 where he hit .296 and baseball folks expected him to build off of it, but he never did.  Remember, Kotchman was basically traded to Atlanta straight-up for Mark Teixeira.  He's got some talent.

He's from St. Pete, so maybe he can revitalize his career with the Rays like Carlos did.
I hope so, that would fill a great need - did he get hurt Biggs - or simply stop hitting?

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 29, 2011, 09:40:32 PM

I don't think he had any serious injuries, dbuc.  He just starting sucking, for whatever reason.  But so did Carlos before he came to Tampa.  The team found another reclamation project, so we'll see if he turns it around like Pena did.

-ts

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 30, 2011, 09:41:12 PM

Yeah the Kotchman signing is the types of signings that make us who we are. Very low risk, very high reward. At absolute worst you have a guy who can field flawlessly, step over to third in a pinch, and take over if DJ's bat falls off.

I'm hopeful we can get some kind of production out of him at some time.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 01, 2011, 12:26:15 PM

So now we just have to wait to get a glance at the bullpen. Can't wait for spring training.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 44
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2011 Tampa Bay Rays « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools