Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Penn is Hawaii bound after all « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 24, 2011, 12:08:53 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Donald Penn headed to NFL Pro Bowl
By Stephen F. Holder, Times staff writer
Posted: Jan 23, 2011 11:59 PM

Donald Penn is Hawaii-bound after all.

The Bucs' left tackle, who followed up his much-awaited, multi-year contract extension with a superb season, told the Times he was informed on Sunday he would be taking the place of the Packers' Chad Clifton in the Pro Bowl on Sunday.

With the Packers headed to the Super Bowl in two weeks after winning the NFC Championship Game, Green Bay players were essentially ruled out of the NFL's all-star showcase, to be played in Honolulu.

The Bucs had initially been snubbed in Pro Bowl voting when the original roster was released last month, but Penn was among three alternates from the Bucs. Tight end Kellen Winslow and quarterback Josh Freeman also were alternates.

At the time, Penn was outspoken about the Bucs being left out despite their 10-6 record, and saw it as an affront that neither he nor any other teammates were named.

"I know I earned that respect," he said then. "I can't control all that. I just have to work harder. This is one of the best years I've had."

Penn becomes the first Bucs offensive tackle to make the Pro Bowl and the first Tampa Bay Pro Bowl selection since 2008. The Bucs had no players in the game last season.

Penn is the second offensive tackle replacement named to the roster. Atlanta's Tyson Clabo replaced the Eagles' Jason Peters last week. Peters pulled out for undisclosed reasons.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 24, 2011, 12:15:02 AM

Congrats! He earned it

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 24, 2011, 12:17:17 AM

Glad for him...he certainly deserved it.  He was not an issue on the line.  Watching Buc games this year, he held up VERY well.

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

#3 : January 24, 2011, 12:21:19 AM

Awesome news! Happy for him.

GameManager

Starter

#4 : January 24, 2011, 12:40:42 AM

Grats to Donald! Now if only Vick, Brees, or Ryan could bow out....

The Tampa Tri-force!!!!!!!!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 24, 2011, 12:54:51 AM

Glad he is going but he deserved to be there as more than an alternate.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 24, 2011, 12:55:01 AM

PENN MODE!

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#7 : January 24, 2011, 06:34:57 AM

Don't get hurt....love that our players get recognized, just don't need to lose them to a meaningless exhibition game.

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 24, 2011, 08:02:11 AM

Congrats Donald, you earned it

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 24, 2011, 08:04:26 AM

Glad he is going but he deserved to be there as more than an alternate.

Please, he's the least deserving OL to go since Davin did. Did you people watch him play this year? No push in the run game and whatever the "one sack" stat is guys went by him all year long, watch the NOLA game and see Freeman escape 2 guys Penn let go by him.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 24, 2011, 08:44:18 AM

While I don't think Penn is all that, the entire offensive tackle position is down right now, especially in the NFC. Just in 2004 the NFC pro bowlers were Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Tra Thomas. That means Chris Samules didn't make it, Jon Runyon didn't make it, Flozell Adams didn't make it, Chad Clifton didn't make it, John Tait didn't make it, and Bryant McKinnie didn't make it. Penn wouldn't come close to sniffing this list. These days all the good tackles are in the AFC.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 24, 2011, 09:08:22 AM

Penn played next to 4 back ups for most of the year. Held the fort down and you can say the excuses you want, but the fact is he was credited with allowing one sack. Plus he had a TD reception. He deserved to go to HAwaii.

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 24, 2011, 09:17:46 AM

Grats to Donald! Now if only Vick, Brees, or Ryan could bow out....

Agree! Would love for free to recruit some free agents :)

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : January 24, 2011, 10:53:49 AM

the fact is he was credited with allowing one sack.

What?  He gave up more than that in the Pittsburgh game.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#14 : January 25, 2011, 02:37:55 PM

What happened to all those "enlightened" Bucs fans who wanted to trade his @$$ because he held out

Hopefully someday Bucs fans will learn to NEVER turn on their own players

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Penn is Hawaii bound after all « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools