Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do we really need to pick a MLB in the draft? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yungbull

Starter
: January 24, 2011, 02:09:49 PM

After reading several articles on this site and others, it seems as if Tyrone McKenzie could step in as an impact player if we don't resign Rudd.  Especially with a lack of dominant Mike backers available in the draft...

What do you all think?

BucsWin31

Starter

#1 : January 24, 2011, 02:17:29 PM

Everyone keeps saying "if"....how bout we give this legend to be some competition

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 24, 2011, 02:37:21 PM

We are going to draft BPA, with the exception of WR, QB and MAYBE RB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a center, safety or even a TE.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 24, 2011, 02:51:17 PM

i hope we dont draft a MLB this draft.  i would rather sign a vet to a short incentive contract and see what mckenzie can do against him.  if neither guy can handle it, let hayward finish the season in the middle and make it a priority in 2012.

if guys like irving/jones have the speed to play outside and the demeanor to play inside, then i certainly would draft them and see where they fit.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 24, 2011, 03:52:15 PM

I'm pretty much good with a reasoned bpa approach.

That said, I'd love to see us acquire a LB or two, draft, UFA, or FA.  Competition will make this team better.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 24, 2011, 04:21:02 PM

I think MLB in the 1st or 2nd round would be a big mistake. I know everyone is high on BPA, especially after Morris came out and pretty much said that himself but we just have other more pressing needs. Ruud is decent and people seem pretty high on McKenzie.

That being said I don't think Ruud will be back and I think it'll be a decent Vet (76-82 rating on Madden) brought in to compete with McKenzie.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

tbb345

Starter
#6 : January 24, 2011, 05:09:20 PM

We need to go BPA,  with the exception of QB, WR, DT, and (maybe) CB. Everything else is game.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 24, 2011, 05:19:41 PM

We don't just need a MLB so if we target a LB with versatility and McKenzie works out we can play the draft pick someplace else.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Lombardi_Stacks

Starter
#8 : January 24, 2011, 06:28:04 PM

yes we do need to draft a LB, IMO K.j Wright from Mississippi state is our guy. he's huge, 6'3 and 250 pounds, and plays the entire front 7 except interior D-line. Coaches at M-State didn't seem to know where he fit best ( it didn't help that they ran every defensive scheme known to man presently ) because he was recruited as a top DE in the state in highschool. Although it seemed like they moved him on every snap he looks like a better fit at LB (IMO) because he doesn't seem to have elite moves to beat OT's on every snap. Since he's not a career LB he lacks instincts and experience, so you'd have to watch his tape closely but what i think he can become exceptional at ( because he already does it well ) is exploding downhill on running lanes and stuffing the run. his scrape over the line is mediocre ( from lack of experience ) but when he starts downhill he has the athletism to stop plays short on the perimeter and in the backfield in between tackles. but best of all is when he starts downhill his size, speed and strength make him an unmovable object!! theirs not a fullback at all that can open a running lane when he decides to meet them full steam in a hole. nor to many TE's for that matter.......... and although you may not see it because he tends to want to go around O-lineman instead of threw them, with the right coaching their isn't to many O-lineman that can move him once he's made up his mind to fill a gap either!  He's just that big, fast an strong. Add that to his slightly above average coverage skills and vicious aggressive tackling ( +tackling power ), he may have the highest ceiling in the LB class. he's locked in the third round of my mock draft and Tampa shouldn't overlook the potential tackilng machine in this kid.
: January 24, 2011, 06:32:28 PM Lombardi_Stacks

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 25, 2011, 09:05:23 AM

I like Wright.   Going to need some coaching (a little more than most higher rated MLB's.)

If they're not going to spend a high pick on a MLB, then this is the best solution I've seen so far if the draft is the answer.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 25, 2011, 09:27:42 AM

BPA, excluding QB and WO.
Defense then offense.

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

truckerbuc

Rookie

#11 : January 25, 2011, 11:11:33 AM

Why would they need a MLB when they already have the best in Ruud.  Give that guy a raise, he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played. 

yungbull

Starter
#12 : January 25, 2011, 01:02:24 PM

Why would they need a MLB when they already have the best in Ruud.  Give that guy a raise, he plays the game the way it's supposed to be played.

I disagree.  He's okay in our system, but I don't see us overpaying for him.  If we do keep him around, I agree with going BPA regardless of need...

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 25, 2011, 01:16:41 PM

Hilarious!

What ComedyClub are you appearing at next? That's some AWESOME material!!!!!!

nitey

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 25, 2011, 03:40:28 PM

With Ruud/Black and Haywood all UFA this season and with the very real possibility that free agency won't happen until *AFTER* the draft ... yes, we need to draft a LB. We can't assume that we can sign any of them after the draft although the chances are good that we can at least get Haywood back under contract.

The MLB is the quarterback of our defense, how can anyone feel that it's not a need? Ruud did a great job of running our defense, but it appears that 1) he wants more money that we are likely to pay him 2) he may have some problems with the fact that we gave Penn a big contract during Penn's holdout but didn't do the same for him (feels under appreciated)  3) he is not as physical at the line of scrimmage as the coaching staff would like (gets caught up in trash).

McKenzie sounds like he could be a competent/good MLB, but he's unprovent and he is also splitting reps at WILL. As it stands, they don't know exactly where he'll end up.

I think other than DE, LB is our next highest priority and IMO definitely deserves to be addressed in round 1 to 3 preferably with a player that can play MLB to provide competition to McKenzie while McKenzie provides competition to Hayes.

Calling the defense on the field is tough, no matter who comes in to play that position, I expect a drop off and some broken plays. We'll miss Ruud's ability to call the defense.

Finally, lets remember that Joe Baker is coaching the linebackers again. I'm sure that inspires GREAT confidence in all of us < sarcasm off >. When you have sub standard coaching, you need above average talent.

JMO.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do we really need to pick a MLB in the draft? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools