Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UCF thinks USF is blocking their bid to join the Big East « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

: January 26, 2011, 04:45:48 PM

Bunch of morons over at UCF and the Orlando Sentinel....

-------------------------------
By Mike Bianchi, SPORTS COMMENTARY

Hopefully, this is not true.

Hopefully, all of the concerns on UCF's part are based on bad information.

Hopefully, all of the whispers you hear about the University of South Florida trying to block UCF from gaining an invitation to the Big East are emanating from message boards and not meeting rooms.

But I'm starting to wonder.

Really wonder.

"We have been hearing this, too," UCF spokesperson Grant Heston said in an e-mailed response to the Sentinel about USF obstructing UCF's potential path into the Big East. "We hope it's not true, because our joining the Big East would clearly be a win-win for both universities."

Here's all you need to know about Heston's response: If he is issuing a public statement of any kind on the issue, then UCF President John Hitt is clearly concerned that the Bulls may be lobbying against UCF joining them in the prestigious and profitable Big East. Heston would not issue a statement of any kind unless Hitt put his stamp of approval on it.

Then there is USF's susp!cious silence on this issue. When I tried to contact USF President Judy Genshaft last week and early this week to ask her feelings about the Big East potentially inviting UCF, the university's publicity department said she would have no comment on the issue. "All Big East expansion inquiries need to be directed to Big East Commissioner John Marinatto," a school publicist said in an e-mail. "He is the sole spokesperson on this issue."

A Big East spokesperson would not comment on the UCF-USF issue.

Funny, but other Big East representatives, including Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino and USF football coach Skip Holtz, have commented in the past about UCF joining the Big East. If Genshaft wanted UCF in the Big East, she would have gladly commented publicly on the issue. In fact, she would be doing everything in her power to let the world know she is pulling for her sister institution gaining access to the big money and big exposure of the Big East.

But once again, it seems, USF could be playing petty politics in order to keep UCF down. Not that we should be surprised. We've certainly seen it before when USF ended a perfectly good football rivalry between the two schools because the Bulls felt they were above playing the Knights. Instead, they play opponents like Wofford and Stony Brook, robbing fans of a raucous rivalry that would make a lot of money and stir a lot of passion for both schools.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-01-25/sports/os-bianchi-ucf-usf-big-east-20110125_1_ucf-usf-ucf-and-usf-ucf-president-john-hitt

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 27, 2011, 05:52:36 PM

Yes, because the Big East is dying to have UCF join.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#2 : January 27, 2011, 07:31:30 PM

The byline should have tipped you off that the article was better suited for the Comics page ...

Runole

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 28, 2011, 11:11:40 AM

not that I agree with Bianchi much but in this case he is spot on in his analysis.  As a USF grad I  am totally embarrassed by the stance of the school as it pertains to UCF.  Ending the series  between the schools ranks as one of the more stupid things USF has done since starting the program. It is almost as if the school has no concept of how important rivalries are to the sport.  UCF would be an excellent addition to the Big East and would bring so much more focus of that conference and the nation to the state of Florida and those two programs.  USF should be screaming for UCF to be entered in the Big East.

The USF vs UCF rivalry if made a permanent fixture could easily be the magnitude of UF vs FSU  or FSU vs Miami in the next 10 years if wiser minds at USF would use those coconuts for more than banging them together.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#4 : January 28, 2011, 03:18:22 PM

not that I agree with Bianchi much but in this case he is spot on in his analysis.  As a USF grad I  am totally embarrassed by the stance of the school as it pertains to UCF.  Ending the series  between the schools ranks as one of the more stupid things USF has done since starting the program. It is almost as if the school has no concept of how important rivalries are to the sport.  UCF would be an excellent addition to the Big East and would bring so much more focus of that conference and the nation to the state of Florida and those two programs.  USF should be screaming for UCF to be entered in the Big East.

The USF vs UCF rivalry if made a permanent fixture could easily be the magnitude of UF vs FSU  or FSU vs Miami in the next 10 years if wiser minds at USF would use those coconuts for more than banging them together.

The magnitude of UF-FSU/FSU-Miami? .... Please. The 4th and 5th programs in the state will never reach that level unless a nuclear disaster takes out Gainesvile and Tallahassee. USF has very little to gain by having UCF enter the BE, with a lot more to lose...

CTGuyton

Second String

#5 : January 28, 2011, 04:14:42 PM

FSU-Miami isn't really a bad comparison. Both of those programs haven't lived up to their history in recent years. UCF and USF on the other hand are on the up swing. 10 to 20 years from now, it could be a huge rivalry.

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 28, 2011, 08:34:02 PM

What does UCF bring the Big East?  They don't bring a power football program, they don't bring a basketball program.  They don't have a large fanbase, or a good TV market either.  Besides giving a more natural rival to USF, what reason is there for the Big East to invite UCF?

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 31, 2011, 03:34:44 PM

What does UCF bring the Big East?  They don't bring a power football program, they don't bring a basketball program.  They don't have a large fanbase, or a good TV market either.  Besides giving a more natural rival to USF, what reason is there for the Big East to invite UCF?
Alum?

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 31, 2011, 03:42:14 PM

What about alum?  If you're asking me if I'm a UCF or USF alum, then no.  Not even a big east alum.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 31, 2011, 03:46:10 PM

What about alum?  If you're asking me if I'm a UCF or USF alum, then no.  Not even a big east alum.
I thought I'd read somewhere (I'd look it up but on phone) that UCF had one of the largest Alum groups in the country.  In the top 10 somewhere.

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 31, 2011, 03:58:31 PM

Ah, I see what you're saying.  I don't think that matters to the Big East that much unless that alumni are putting a ton of money towards their athletic programs and towards the conference.  Unless I'm horribly off, despite the strong alumni base, their ratings aren't good, don't have a strong national presence, and don't even really have a firm grasp on their own area for television purposes.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#11 : February 01, 2011, 01:36:09 PM

There is an awful lot of homerism in this thread and not a lot of objectivity.  UCF and USF would be a fantastic rivalry over time. Despite all the aspersions cast by USF fans towards UCF trying to diminish that program and its value the reality is UCF is a fine up and coming program just like USF.  It would be an asset to both to be in the same conference together just like it is for Miami and FSU being in the ACC.

The reality of the situation is the Big East is in trouble for football and though it appears that expansion talks by the Big 10/12 are apparently now on hold with the admission of Nebraska, expansion plans by the Big 10/12 are still present.

Why on earth did the Big East take TCU as  a member? That actually makes even less sense from a geographic perspective.

Long standing rivalries are what drive the sport and that is why Miami vs FSU  and Florida vs FSU are sell outs every year.  Time for USF and their pseudo- arrogance to take a step back and understand what drives the game and makes it important and relevant.

Packed stadiums and frenzied fans sell the sport to TV.   USF is seldom going to get that from its northerly neighbors in the Big East and they definitely are not going to get large audiences to watch Stony Brook and Wofford.

Just reading this thread  and the die hard USF fans responding "Get Over Yourselves."  Geesh!

While it is possible the Miami series will be renewed it certainly isn't in the bank.  Teams like Miami UF and FSU are not going to put  USF on an annual play list permanently.

Time to look out for number #1 !!  A packed RAY JAY and UCF stadium in Orlando would be tremendously beneficial to both teams even if USF beats the snot out of UCF every year.  Of course the reality is the last time they played I believe went to overtime.

Is it time to refer to USF as "CHICKEN" to play UCF because of fear of a loss?   

TheAman

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 01, 2011, 07:25:02 PM

TCU was admitted as a member because they bring a BCS-caliber program to the conference.  UCF doesn't do that, nor do they bring money, television markets or prestige.  If you can't tell the difference between TCU and UCF, you may want to stop watching college football.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 01, 2011, 10:25:40 PM

There is an awful lot of homerism in this thread and not a lot of objectivity.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#14 : February 03, 2011, 02:50:45 AM

Do you think UF would be OK with FSU joining the SEC? Hell no!
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UCF thinks USF is blocking their bid to join the Big East « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools