Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UCF thinks USF is blocking their bid to join the Big East « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Runole

Hall of Famer
#30 : February 06, 2011, 01:02:45 AM

USF has dominated UCF in nearly every sport though. Other than baseball which USF was not very good historically...the Bulls have dominated the Knights all over the place in men's and women's sports.

In football...
2005 - USF 31, UCF 14
2006 - USF 24, UCF 17
2007 - USF 64, UCF 12
2008 - USF 31, UCF 24 (OT)

The fact of the matter is, USF would not gain much by beating UCF a 5th time. But UCF would have TONS to gain by beating USF for the first time.

From 1958-1963 UF won every game except for one tie against FSU.   There are 3 Major Newspapers in the Orlando Tampa St Pete corridor and if you don't think they would promote the game as the rivalry develops you don't understand football. 

There really is only reason USF wants to block UCF and dropped the series.. They are deathly afraid of UCF winning!   That is the way of the coward.  Rivalries are to be cherished not avoided and the UCF vs USF would indeed get more and more national play as it develops.  The sport thrives on passion and that is why the game would be important to both programs.

Yes USF beat FSU and Miami.  While Miami still has a few games left before the series ends I doubt they will continue it.  Suddenly USF will be left playing the Woffords and Stony Brooks trying to convince the world what a great CFB program they have.  UCF I believe just won CUSA USF has yet to win the Big East.

As mentioned above the Big East perception nationally is very poor and unless they expand quickly the whole conference could be eliminated should the BIg 10 continues its expansion plans.

There are rumors of the ACC possibly going for UCONN and Notre Dame should the Big 10 take Rutgers Syracuse and Pitt.  Where would that leave USF?

There is no team in Division One that USF fans hates more than UCF..   From my observation that sure sounds like a rivalry!! :D

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#31 : February 06, 2011, 11:33:06 PM

The fact of the matter is that USF would rather build a rivary with Miami, Florida, or FSU. They consider that a step forward for their program. USF looks at the UCF rivalry as a step backwards.

The Bulls have beaten FSU and Miami...so it's not like they can't compete with the big boys.

Don't forget about recruiting either. USF and UCF are in the same region (an hour drive?) and no doubt the Bulls use the BCS-conference as a selling point. If UCF is put in a BCS conference, both schools would be recruiting from the same pool of players potentially watering down both programs.

1.  As much as USF  wants to build a rivalry with U of F, Miami, or FSU, They don't want to with USF - Kind of the same looking down that USF does to UCF.  The reality is that those three have their rivalries and only do the games with the lower state school to help with money.  They don't need USF and Don't worry about USF even with the wins while their programs were down.  As much as USF doesn't want to admit it, its only chance for a Rivalry in Florida is UCF or one of the even lower schools. 

2.  Now for the recruiting thing, according to Rivals.com, UCF has had better recruiting classes the last two years while USF is in a AQ conference and UCF is not.   This year alone, 43rd best class in the country and that was before QB 4 star DeMarcus Smith Signed his letter on Friday.  I looked for USF on the same top 50 list and well, they were absent just like the Top 25 ranked teams AP and BCS at the end of the season.  I know, you'll argue they didn't beat a team with a winning record, I argue that the perception is that UCF had a better season then USF and most of the Big East and perception is where the big East needs help.

As much as USF doesn't want to admit it, they need UCF as much as the conference does.  Big east has a perception problem and just moving Villanova up will not change that.  TCU was a great grab and the only other team that was  ranked and won a bowl game against a AQ school who is wanting in very badly is UCF. 

I guess we will all know what the Big East is going to do by this April, I hope it has UCF in and both programs rise up to the level that UF, FSU, and Miam. and the conference gets more respect but I do understand the fear that USF has about being passed by by another program.   I still say the recruiting thing doesn't matter, we have already passed USF without the AQ status.
LOL ... God love the delusional UCF fans willing to come to the rescue of the Big East. Thanks anyway, but the addition of TCU, along with the probable resurgence of Louisville and Syracuse, and hopefully Skip doing what he did in CUSA, will boost the perception in the years to come. The only school that would give the conference any boost in perception right now would be Memphis, for basketball, but there's not a whole lot of boosting needed there ... Now, I'm not saying that the addition of UCF would really be a bad thing in the long run but the conference doesn't NEED them right now .... and USF certainly doesn't need them either ... no matter how much you guys WANT to believe that.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#32 : February 06, 2011, 11:40:52 PM

There is no team in Division One that USF fans hates more than UCF..   From my observation that sure sounds like a rivalry!! :D
The observations of a USF alumnus wth the screen name of Runole is hard to take very seriously ... and just because USF is their most hated team, doesn't mean the reciprocal is true. I'm pretty sure if you took a poll of USF fans, UF and Rutgers would probably be hated more than UCF.

original

Pro Bowler

#33 : February 07, 2011, 06:42:05 PM

[   I still say the recruiting thing doesn't matter, we have already passed USF without the AQ status.
[/quote]
LOL ... God love the delusional UCF fans willing to come to the rescue of the Big East. Thanks anyway, but the addition of TCU, along with the probable resurgence of Louisville and Syracuse, and hopefully Skip doing what he did in CUSA, will boost the perception in the years to come. The only school that would give the conference any boost in perception right now would be Memphis, for basketball, but there's not a whole lot of boosting needed there ... Now, I'm not saying that the addition of UCF would really be a bad thing in the long run but the conference doesn't NEED them right now .... and USF certainly doesn't need them either ... no matter how much you guys WANT to believe that.
[/quote]

Your right, I am delusional.  UCF's recruiting class is rated 39th, not 43.  Also, I am not a fan, but an Alum.  You should really take a step back and look at the Big East.  They are considered the weakest and smallest conference and will get tv contracts accordingly unless they better themselves.  .  UCF is winning games, seasons, championships, recruiting like a member of an AQ conference , and earning more and more national respect each year.  Why fans of USF can't see the best option is to take their sister school is just beoynd me.  I did find an article in one of your local papers that might sum it up.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/even-after-all-its-changes-usf-football-still-middling/1135581

"TAMPA The walk off the field looked sadly familiar. It was the aimless stroll of a team going nowhere.

It is not that South Florida has nothing left to play for in 2010. The Bulls still have a game against Miami, and they still have a bowl game somewhere in the peripheral days of December.

It's just that after all of this time, all of this change, all of this hope, the Bulls have once again managed to get stuck somewhere in the grand middle. Not quite up, not quite down, and not quite relevant heading to Thanksgiving.

For better or worse, it is a place they know well. They have spent six seasons in the Big East conference, and this will be the fifth time they have finished either one game above or one game below .500. Never one of the top two teams. Never one of the bottom two teams.

Never part of the conversation when the discussion really matters."

Seems like the Bulls are medicore at best in their own minds and are afraid that UCF will blow past them if the differences of conferences are taken away.  Yes, the Bulls beat the Knights 4 times while in the current conference set up, but take that away and well, that changes.  You really shouldn't worry about your recruiting, you are already behind us so that wouldn't change.  Don't be afraid, there is enough recruits and if the Bulls ever win something that matters, they might get a top 50 recruiting class also.  Call me dulisional if you must, but look in the mirror and check you facts.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#34 : February 08, 2011, 12:33:55 AM

Seems like the Bulls are medicore at best in their own minds and are afraid that UCF will blow past them if the differences of conferences are taken away.  Yes, the Bulls beat the Knights 4 times while in the current conference set up, but take that away and well, that changes.  You really shouldn't worry about your recruiting, you are already behind us so that wouldn't change.  Don't be afraid, there is enough recruits and if the Bulls ever win something that matters, they might get a top 50 recruiting class also.   Call me dulisional if you must, but look in the mirror and check you facts.

LOL ... You want facts. ..Since you insist on keeping on banging this stupid recruiting drum,  I'm sure you know that USF has already pulled in a top 30 recruiting class, if you want to play that game .... and the only reason you're ranked ahead of us this year, is you signed more players. We both have a 2.86 star average .... and finally, if the time ever does come that we play you regularly again, I have absolutely no worries with Skip at the helm considering he beat you 4 times in a row with supposedly inferior talent, according to that same Rivals .... Now, you can go back to puffing on that Moral Victory cigar, celebrating kicking our butt in recruiting this year ... What a freaking joke you people are.  :D

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#35 : February 08, 2011, 01:26:08 AM

It was Skip Holtz first year. Not many predicted the Bulls to be much more than .500 team before the season started. It typically takes a few years before a new head coach can really put in his system and get his recruits in.

Leavitt was fired mainly because of the assault incident. However, there were people calling for his head before that. He did not appear like he was going to be able to move the team out of mediocrity. His teams almost always started strong and faltered as the season went on and underachieved in Big East play. Leavitt getting canned may actually turn out to be a good thing.

original

Pro Bowler

#36 : February 08, 2011, 08:25:41 AM

Cyber, I know that is true.  This Klink guy is always mouthing off from with a superiority attitude when in realitity, the schools are very simular.  I don't have a problem with USF or with whatever happens with the expansion stuff.  I obviously hope UCF gets the invite because we can use a true rival and just everywhere you look it is obvious that these two schools hold pleanty of dislike for each other.  I think USF has a great future and I hope we can be a part of that and can build a better furture for both schools.  I do feel a rivalry would benefit both schools and bring more respect to both, not just UCF.    Klink needed a Spur in his boot and it looks like I put it there.   

Hey Klink, R you the guy who use to call yourself Sgt. Shultz?

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#37 : February 08, 2011, 09:08:27 AM

Cyber, I know that is true.  This Klink guy is always mouthing off from with a superiority attitude when in realitity, the schools are very simular.

I think you need to re-read this thread and point out where I was "always mouthing off from with a superiority attitude " ... Strongest thing I've said, up until YOU started the recruiting nonsense, was that I don't think the BE or USF NEEDS UCF as much as you think they do.

I will pretend I didn't see that ...   >:(

original

Pro Bowler

#38 : February 08, 2011, 04:34:46 PM

Cyber, I know that is true.  This Klink guy is always mouthing off from with a superiority attitude when in realitity, the schools are very simular.

I think you need to re-read this thread and point out where I was "always mouthing off from with a superiority attitude " ... Strongest thing I've said, up until YOU started the recruiting nonsense, was that I don't think the BE or USF NEEDS UCF as much as you think they do.

I don't think it is nonsense, but you have a right to your opinion.   Just wish you could argue without the name calling.  USF fans in general talk down to UCF fans like they are premadonna's/ superiority attitude when the schools really are very simular.   Heck, what else is there to talk about this time of the year?  Recruiting and football are better any day they any basketball season.  I do know that if you put both schools on the playing field with AQ status, the rivalry will become nasty and great.  I long for that froe then caring what conference we are in.  Even our respective Arena League teams hated each other.  10 years down the road it could be one of the best rivalries in all of college soports.  I could definatly see the online arguements becoming epic. 

Anyways, Off to play with my kids.   And PS - I wasn't asking if you were Shulty to bring up old things, just to clarify to me of who you are. 

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#39 : February 09, 2011, 10:01:16 AM

I don't think it is nonsense, but you have a right to your opinion.   Just wish you could argue without the name calling.  USF fans in general talk down to UCF fans like they are premadonna's/ superiority attitude when the schools really are very simular.   Heck, what else is there to talk about this time of the year?  Recruiting and football are better any day they any basketball season.  I do know that if you put both schools on the playing field with AQ status, the rivalry will become nasty and great.  I long for that froe then caring what conference we are in.  Even our respective Arena League teams hated each other.  10 years down the road it could be one of the best rivalries in all of college soports.  I could definatly see the online arguements becoming epic.
Look, Original, sorry if I was a little testy but I'm a member of another board that, starting about 10 years ago, was infested with your brethren making butts out of themselves about our football program ... nothing personal ... we'll just have to agree to disagree on some points but do agree on others, but just so we're clear I'm for what's in the best interest for USF, period.

And PS - I wasn't asking if you were Shulty to bring up old things, just to clarify to me of who you are.
Just so we're clear, I am not him .... My imaginary Internet babe was 10 times hotter than his.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 11, 2011, 09:55:57 PM

The observations of a USF alumnus wth the screen name of Runole is hard to take very seriously ... and just because USF is their most hated team, doesn't mean the reciprocal is true. I'm pretty sure if you took a poll of USF fans, UF and Rutgers would probably be hated more than UCF.

I think it is far more credible  and should be taken far more seriously than your screen name suggests.

Just because my screen name represents the team I favor over my Alma mater doesn't mean I can't be objective about the issue.  If there was not such hatred and constant put downs by many USF fans towards UCF I might agree with your unlikely assertion.

I have nothing but admiration for the strides USF made from its inception and their rise to a certain level of prominence has been absolutely amazing.

A couple of years ago when USF hovered for a week or so at Number #2 in the polls many felt USF had reached even more outstanding levels of achievement.
However as everyone soon found out it was little more than temporary "fools gold".

The problem I have with many current USF fans is their overall arrogance.   Even if I find any arrogance to be repugnant no matter whose program's fans emulate the characteristic, I find a more compelling question?   Where does this arrogance USF fans spew come from?  What has USF accomplished in CFB since becoming a member of the Big East that fosters such arrogance?  The attitude of USF blocking membership by UCF would be not unlike FSU blocking Miami joining the ACC.

You don't earn acclaim by running from competition.

Do you think any objective person would see a rational reason for not making UCF an annual rival other than cowardice?   USF  and UCF  are almost identical in stature in terms of Division One football and perhaps that is the reasoning behind USF tucking tail and running from the series.

True Champions don't run for competition they welcome it.    It shames me as an alum that  apparently so many USF fans today have this mentality.

Just like UF ran from Miami it is readily apparent especially after the overtime win a couple of years ago that USF is more fearful of losing than anything to program they hate with a vengeance.   Kind of humorous actually they have a rivalry and act like they are ignorant of it.  Silly BS!!   I call it BEING A GATOR since they have exhibited that same mentality with Miami.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#41 : February 11, 2011, 11:01:09 PM

I think it is far more credible  and should be taken far more seriously than your screen name suggests.

Just because my screen name represents the team I favor over my Alma mater doesn't mean I can't be objective about the issue.  If there was not such hatred and constant put downs by many USF fans towards UCF I might agree with your unlikely assertion.

I have nothing but admiration for the strides USF made from its inception and their rise to a certain level of prominence has been absolutely amazing.

A couple of years ago when USF hovered for a week or so at Number #2 in the polls many felt USF had reached even more outstanding levels of achievement.
However as everyone soon found out it was little more than temporary "fools gold".

The problem I have with many current USF fans is their overall arrogance.   Even if I find any arrogance to be repugnant no matter whose program's fans emulate the characteristic, I find a more compelling question?   Where does this arrogance USF fans spew come from?  What has USF accomplished in CFB since becoming a member of the Big East that fosters such arrogance?  The attitude of USF blocking membership by UCF would be not unlike FSU blocking Miami joining the ACC.

You don't earn acclaim by running from competition.

Do you think any objective person would see a rational reason for not making UCF an annual rival other than cowardice?   USF  and UCF  are almost identical in stature in terms of Division One football and perhaps that is the reasoning behind USF tucking tail and running from the series.

True Champions don't run for competition they welcome it.    It shames me as an alum that  apparently so many USF fans today have this mentality.

Just like UF ran from Miami it is readily apparent especially after the overtime win a couple of years ago that USF is more fearful of losing than anything to program they hate with a vengeance.   Kind of humorous actually they have a rivalry and act like they are ignorant of it.  Silly BS!!   I call it BEING A GATOR since they have exhibited that same mentality with Miami.

LOL .... I'm thankful that our administration  hasn't felt the need to succumb to stupid, juvenile tactics like you're using .... "cowardice" ... "tucking tail" .... "True Champions don't run for competition they welcome it" ... With your next post I expect a "triple dog dare you".  8)

And as far as BEING A GATOR, even though it pains me on one level, we'll take as much as that as we can get. UF is the king of ooc scheduling that's geared to get them where they want to be and scheduling UCF does nothing for us in that regard ..... yet .... now, if they can build upon last year's smoke and mirrors ranking, do it again, maybe it would behoove a second look. ...

And why would all this shame you as an alum ..... I doubt anybody around you even knows you're one.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 12, 2011, 09:20:45 AM

Cowardice always shames and embarrases me. I take pride in my degree from USF. I don't like to make excuses for USF being a coward on the football field.

I dislike Miami with a passion but they schedule anyone / anywhere. I can respect that.  I don't respect those that try to scam the system by scheduling patsies to empty stadiums versus a packed house for a spirited rivalry.  Beating UCF will always outweigh beating stony brook and wofford.

Now losing?   Horrors!  Means the team isn't quite as good as BSing fans think they are.

Losing is just as much a part of the game as winning and true champions gain respect for stepping up to the pump to face top competition and beating it not running from it.  You get better by being challenged.

UF hides behind the SEC is sooo tough we can't afford a possible loss by playing Miami or by playing a regular season loss to an out of conference BCS opponent outside the state of Florida.

That is BS rhetoric since winning or losing an out of conference game has no effect on winning or losing your conference. That is the key to getting to a BCS bowl game.

So what is USF's excuse... is the Big East so tough they can't afford to play a team as tough as UCF that they might actually play a competitive game that USF actually could lose?

USF should be sponsoring UCF to the Big East rather than blocking them.

Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not the reality is that the Big East is on shaky ground and the threat of several teams jumping to the Big Ten continues to be a possibility.   The conference needs to be far more proactive and expand so the perception can change for the conference.

Trying to scam the system will never be respected from my view.
: February 12, 2011, 09:23:17 AM Runole

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 12, 2011, 02:09:58 PM

Cowardice always shames and embarrases me.

After reading your posts for a few years, I'm surprised anything "embarrases" you.

Col. Klink

Pro Bowler

#44 : February 12, 2011, 09:01:20 PM

Cowardice always shames and embarrases me. I take pride in my degree from USF. I don't like to make excuses for USF being a coward on the football field.

I dislike Miami with a passion but they schedule anyone / anywhere. I can respect that.  I don't respect those that try to scam the system by scheduling patsies to empty stadiums versus a packed house for a spirited rivalry.  Beating UCF will always outweigh beating stony brook and wofford.
Not true .... Back in 2008, USF beat Tennessee-Martin and jumped two spots in the AP poll ... The next week, they beat UCF but dropped two spots ....

Now losing?   Horrors!  Means the team isn't quite as good as BSing fans think they are.
Winning or losing against UCF is not what USF fans base what they think of the team on. That's what conference play is for, and that's what USF's fans concerns have been .... not some stupid measuring stick placed up against UCF.

Losing is just as much a part of the game as winning and true champions gain respect for stepping up to the pump to face top competition and beating it not running from it.  You get better by being challenged
What does facing top competition and playing UCF have to do with each other?

UF hides behind the SEC is sooo tough we can't afford a possible loss by playing Miami or by playing a regular season loss to an out of conference BCS opponent outside the state of Florida.

That is BS rhetoric since winning or losing an out of conference game has no effect on winning or losing your conference. That is the key to getting to a BCS bowl game.
BS rhetoric or not..... the philosophy has led them to 3 MNC's ... and I sincerely doubt they give a crap whether you, or anyone else, puts their own stupid asterisk beside those titles.

So what is USF's excuse... is the Big East so tough they can't afford to play a team as tough as UCF that they might actually play a competitive game that USF actually could lose? 
USF should be sponsoring UCF to the Big East rather than blocking them.

Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not the reality is that the Big East is on shaky ground and the threat of several teams jumping to the Big Ten continues to be a possibility.   The conference needs to be far more proactive and expand so the perception can change for the conference.

Trying to scam the system will never be respected from my view.
This may come as a total shock to you, but USF doesn't give a flying crap about your, or UCF's toadie journalist's, respect ...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: UCF thinks USF is blocking their bid to join the Big East « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools