Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kirwan Grades Ruud's Play This Season - A-minus « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« : January 26, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

I guess Kirwan is clueless, too?

http://www.joebucsfan.com/?p=43448

Kirwan added, “Barrett Ruud is not going to be Brian Urlacher in the Tampa-2. He’s not going to be Ray Lewis. He never will be. If I had to grade him on his play this year, I’d give him an A-minus.”

More on Ruud...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/jan/26/261303/negotiations-key-to-bucs-lb-ruuds-possible-return/sports-bucs

Speaking at the Senior Bowl, Dominik lauded Ruud's play during the 2010 season but strongly suggested the determining factor in whether Ruud returns will be his asking price on a new contract.

Ruud is scheduled to become a free agent in March.

"Barrett had another good season for us,'' Dominik said. "He led our team in tackles again and he had more splash plays for us this year than he did the year before, which was good. Now we just have to sit down with his agent.

"And as these things always go, there's always two sides to it. Just because you say you want to sign him and because they say they want to be back, that doesn't mean that's how it's going to work out.''

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 26, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »

So what kind of grades do Urlacher and Lewis get, then?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 26, 2011, 05:05:39 PM »

I like Barrett. I'm not defending him here but clearly this is what Kirwan was trying to get at.

Ruud gets an A- because he did a good job executing what the defense called for him to do. Ruud isn't asked to be Ray Lewis, which is good because he's not.

Now I would like to see us get a more stout MLB but Ruud did exactly as he was asked to do, and he has since he got here. Price tag is determing factor. Management likes him and will get him back if it were based only on pay.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 26, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

“Who is going to be the quarterback of your defense then? Who is going to call the plays on defense?” Ryan asked.

Hopefully someone other than Ruud, that's certainly no reason to keep the guy. If a QB is good at calling plays but terrible with execution, how long will he last in the league?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 26, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »

Good god.

He forced a fumble against the Saints.

Thats honestly, no joke, the only positive play I can remember Ruud making when I think back on the 2010 season.

I'm sure someone will come in here and point to this that and the other thing. (Okay I just remembered the pick against Arizona)

But honestly the guy is probably one of the weaker links on our defense.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 26, 2011, 05:18:45 PM »

I like Barrett. I'm not defending him here but clearly this is what Kirwan was trying to get at.

Ruud gets an A- because he did a good job executing what the defense called for him to do. Ruud isn't asked to be Ray Lewis, which is good because he's not.

Now I would like to see us get a more stout MLB but Ruud did exactly as he was asked to do, and he has since he got here. Price tag is determing factor. Management likes him and will get him back if it were based only on pay.

Agree with everything you wrote. What I DON'T want is a rookie coming in here and having him learn on the job. We have chance at making a nice playoff run next year and inexperience at the MLB position is going to be a tough one to overcome.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #6 : January 26, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »

I would prefer having players that don't need to be graded on a curve for people to say they are good.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 26, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

I would prefer having players that don't need to be graded on a curve for people to say they are good.

Hey, if we can get a player like Lewis or Urlacher, great. But those players don't come around that often.

Kirwan nailed it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 26, 2011, 05:48:50 PM »

“Who is going to be the quarterback of your defense then? Who is going to call the plays on defense?” Ryan asked.

Hopefully someone other than Ruud, that's certainly no reason to keep the guy. If a QB is good at calling plays but terrible with execution, how long will he last in the league?

Well, that depends.  Is this QB also in proper position on most plays?  If so, give him an A-minus.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 26, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »

why not put ruud up in the skybox and put another S on the field?  ruud could see the field better and do what he does best, get our D in the right play.  plus he wouldnt have to worry about his body breaking down post-career.

we dont ask ruud to attack because he cant.  he shouldnt get bonus points for that.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 26, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »

The only thing Ruud gets an A for is "putting his jersey on correctly".

After that, the grading DROPS OFF dramatically!

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 26, 2011, 06:14:10 PM »

Isn't that like saying Michael Clayton does a great job blocking? You're clearly removing a large percentage of what is expected out of the position and rewarding him for supposedly doing well at the stuff no one cares about.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 26, 2011, 06:15:17 PM »

Hey, if we can get a player like Lewis or Urlacher, great. But those players don't come around that often.

Kirwan nailed it.
MLB is among the deepest positions in the NFL. Are there more than 5 MLB's currently playing you WOULDN'T feel comfortable replacing Ruud?

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler

« #13 : January 26, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »

why not put ruud up in the skybox and put another S on the field?  ruud could see the field better and do what he does best, get our D in the right play.  plus he wouldnt have to worry about his body breaking down post-career.

we dont ask ruud to attack because he cant.  he shouldnt get bonus points for that.

BURN!

The quest for .500 begins...

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

« #14 : January 26, 2011, 06:53:16 PM »

For funsies....

Wouldn't want Puz over Ruud
Wouldn't want Bradley over Ruud
Wouldn't want DeAndre Levy over Ruud
Wouldn't want Paris Lenon over Ruud
Wouldn't want Brackett over Ruud
Wouldn't want Dhani Jones/Roderick Muckelroy over Ruud
Wouldn't want Johnathan Goff over Ruud
Wouldn't want Kirk Morrison over Ruud

Regardless.

That is 8/32. Ruud isn't even average in my book.

We could do some much better. Or at least have some one with upside (I'd probably take Muckleroy over Ruud on second thought)
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kirwan Grades Ruud's Play This Season - A-minus « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools