Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ahmad Black Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

blind melon

Hall of Famer

: January 28, 2011, 11:42:12 AM

Latest Quick Hits got me started on this guy...

Highly doubtful this young man makes it to the 4th round. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273166

Overview

Mischaracterized as too small and slow by most recruiters, Black emerged as a surprise star as a true sophomore for the Gators in 2008, leading the team with seven interceptions and earning second-team All-SEC honors from league coaches after switching from cornerback to strong safety.

Black had 11 career interceptions and tied for the national lead with seven in 2008. He has a history of making big plays against top competition. He stripped the ball from Oklahoma wideout Juaquin Iglesias for a momentum-swinging interception of 2010 No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford in the 2009 BCS Championship game. Earlier that season he intercepted a pass and returned it 64 yards against 2009 No. 1 overall pick Matt Stafford.

In a tough season for Florida, Black's consistency and leadership stood out. His reliability as an open-field tackler and penchant for big plays won't be lost on NFL scouts. The instinctive defender might not be drafted in the first round, but his ability to step up his level of play against elite talent won't be overlooked.

Analysis

Read & React: Has very good instincts for the position. Reads the eyes of the quarterback and has good route-recognition skills. Good agility and straight-line speed for the position. Was recruited as a cornerback and only asked to move to safety at Florida to take advantage of his instincts, reliable open-field tackling and ball skills.

Man Coverage: Rare coverage skills for the position due to his quick feet, balance, agility and straight-line speed. Is an obvious matchup concern due to his lack of height. Makes up for his lack of preferred size against bigger athletes with his competitive fire and coverage skills, but is overmatched against most tight ends.

Zone Coverage: Has a smooth, low backpedal and typically maintains cushion before he is forced to change direction. Demonstrates the fluid hips and quick feet to turn and run efficiently without losing ground. Alert zone defender with good route recognition. Reads the eyes of the quarterback and gets good breaks on the ball.

Closing/Recovery: Plays with good straight-line speed and agility and shows the late burst to close, especially downhill. Can be too aggressive attacking the ball. With his lack of preferred height, he focuses so much attention on leaping to make the interception that he leaves the receiver available to break free. Good timing and leaping ability. Good hand-eye coordination to slap away or intercept passes. Often is able to make up for his lack of height with his ability to high-point the ball.

Run Support: While not as big as scouts would like, shows good physicality and toughness in taking on and discarding blocks from receivers. Good agility to elude and balance to avoid cut blocks. Willing to crash down in the box and makes plays near the line of scrimmage. Squirts through gaps and is a generally a reliable open-field tackler.

Tackling: Provides surprising pop for his size. Very good agility to break down in space and make the secure stop. Doesn't shy away from contact with big ballcarriers. Can resort to duck-and-swipe tackles against bigger men, but wraps his arms securely around their legs to knock them over efficiently.

Intangibles: Considered leaving Florida after his junior season, but elected to return in part because of the SEC Championship loss to Alabama that he characterized as "embarrassing." Considered quitting football during his freshman season but credits position coach and co-coordinator Chuck Heater for convincing him to stay with the team. Elected a team captain in 2010.

From Scouts Inc:

Overall Football Traits
Production 2
2007: (7/0) 7 tackles.
2008: (14/14) 59 tackles, 1 TFL, 5 PBU, 7 INT.
2009: (14/12) 70 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 5 PBU, 1 INT.

Height-Weight-Speed 4
Lacks prototypical size and bulk for the position. Top-end speed is above-average.

Durability 1 Durability does not appear to be a factor.

Intangibles 2
Possesses an upbeat personality both on and off the field that can be contagious to teammates. Well-liked and respected by coaches. Has experience and versatility to line up at both safety and corner if needed.

Safety Specific Traits
Production 1
Naturally instinctive on the field. Makes a quick diagnosis to find ball and consistently gets into proper position. Does a nice job of reading QB's eyes in drops to get quick break on ball. Route recognition and anticipation skills are good. Also shows ability to recover off play-action to mark intermediate crossers when lined up near the box.

Height-Weight-Speed 2 Above-average athleticism and fluidity. Possesses good body control and displays easy change of direction. Will have no problems as a half-field defender at the next level. Also shows adequate range when lined up at the point. Flashes ability to match up with slot WRs or TEs in man coverage. At his best when closing on balls in front of him.

Durability 3 Angles to the point are good. Possesses natural hands to pull in routine interceptions. However, lacks elite playmaking ability in the back end to make highlight-reel catch. Lack of elite size makes him vulnerable in one-on-one jump-ball situations.

Intangibles 2 Makes a quick diagnosis to find ball and usually is in proper position to make stop. Physical when filling the alleys and will put body on the line. However, can be pushed around when taking on blocks. Takes proper angles in pursuit. Generally a reliable overall tackler and flashes ability to deliver violent strike. Effective with pressure off the edge. Possesses a quick closing burst to get home but also comes under control to secure sack.

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

aquilus

Pro Bowler

#1 : January 28, 2011, 11:44:36 AM

The most underrated player in this draft

landfill

Second String
#2 : January 28, 2011, 11:52:17 AM

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#3 : January 28, 2011, 11:56:37 AM

Sounds like a black Cody Grimm. Wouldn't want him early when we have passable safeties(and even good ones if T-Jax comes back).

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 28, 2011, 11:58:03 AM

Love this kid.  Screw "typical" size he is always in the right place making plays on the ball when it matters.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 28, 2011, 11:59:49 AM

I like him best as a nickel corner

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 28, 2011, 12:02:05 PM

As the 3rd safety in passing situations great player in the nfl. I don't think he could hold up against NFL RBs, Larry Asante will prove to be a good safety for TB.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 28, 2011, 12:09:04 PM

I knew Ahmad when he was in high school, and he was the hardest working, most grateful, most humble athlete I think I've ever met.  The dude is always cheerful and upbeat, and he's a master of X's and O's.  I can't say how he'll play in the NFL (he IS tiny, tiny for an NFL defender), but I can say that whoever drafts him won't have to worry about misconduct or locker room issues.

rodmase

Practice Squad
#8 : January 28, 2011, 09:19:04 PM

We cant  have too many safeties, if we play 3-3-5 packages throught the game. Ahmad is a cookie cutter version of Ronde Barber, IMO.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 29, 2011, 04:03:09 PM

As the 3rd safety in passing situations great player in the nfl. I don't think he could hold up against NFL RBs, Larry Asante will prove to be a good safety for TB.

He knows how to tackle low, I wouldn't be worried about his ability to tackle. In fact, I wouldn't be worried about much of his game at all in the NFL. I think he'll be quite good, I'm just not sure I'd want to take him in the 3rd round with the larger holes we have. If he's somehow still around in the 4th I wouldn't even hesitate though.

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
#10 : January 29, 2011, 04:16:51 PM

Unlikely he lasts to our pick in the 3rd round. Would be a great addition to our D

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 29, 2011, 04:35:11 PM

i dont think the guy goes before the 5th at least.  but i would love him late.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#12 : March 01, 2011, 10:24:14 AM

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#13 : March 01, 2011, 10:36:05 AM

he's solidly in the 4th round now IMO...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

#14 : March 01, 2011, 10:39:52 AM

Yea definetly not an impressive 40yd time but speed has never been his game.  If he somehow slips into the 5th round I'd love to take a shot at him.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ahmad Black Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools