Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ahmad Black Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Chris_BucFan60

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Pro Bowler

#30 : March 01, 2011, 10:30:07 PM

I played with ahmad from little leauge and through highschool my boy is leegit!!!

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : March 01, 2011, 10:39:04 PM

The horrible 40 is gonna kill his stock. Nobody wants an undersized slow safety. I mean Cody Grimm ran a faster 40 and is 20lbs bigger, but he was considered to slow and too small.

I think just like Grimm, Black has great instincts and he could be a late round steal...but instead of the 3rd or 4th round, I now think he would be a good 5th round pick.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#32 : March 02, 2011, 07:35:19 AM

Imo, the combine isn't going to kill his stock.   He looked good in the drills and the tape doesn't lie.

He's still value in the fourth as the 2nd to 4th best safety in this draft. 

Carmichael (convert) and  Black my 4th rounders now...

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

Good time to be a Bucs fan.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#33 : March 02, 2011, 08:44:15 AM

Imo, the combine isn't going to kill his stock.   He looked good in the drills and the tape doesn't lie.

So did Cody Grimm and he went round 7. Black won't be touched in the first four rounds.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#34 : March 02, 2011, 08:47:40 AM

I agree completely. 

Black is not a workout warrior...he just isn't and I thought this was some what common knowledge going into the Combine, but as you pointed out...his tape doesn't lie.  He's an instinctive play maker.

I would love a Grimm and Black safety tandem.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#35 : March 02, 2011, 08:59:40 AM

I don't think Black is a starter caliber player.  I think his best position is slot nickel back.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#36 : March 02, 2011, 09:00:56 AM

Grimm is not a real good comparison.  His hybrid role did not help his stock in the draft, at all.

A real comparison to a existing buc...

Mack vs Black...     who would you rather have?

Why?

Who knew how good it would feel as a fan when we now know what it\'s like for our team to have a direction, an attitude, and dare I say an offense?.  

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#37 : March 02, 2011, 09:03:00 AM

I don't think Black is a starter caliber player.  I think his best position is slot nickel back.

I tend to agree with this statement, at least in the rookie/2nd year.

The trend in the NFL defense is to combat a passing attack...    I've heard that 40-60% of snaps use a nickel now-a-days.

(translated - we need lots of DBs who are multi-functional at FS, SS and CB)

PassThePigSkin

Hall of Famer

#38 : March 02, 2011, 10:57:50 AM

5th through 7th or undrafted. I would take black. It's way to many players at his position that I would take before him. Somebody compared him to mack that gives me nightmares I wish Rah would just cut that guy. NFC south has Big wrs we need a bigger secondary.

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#39 : March 02, 2011, 01:27:00 PM

Evan silva calls Ahmad a 'faller' after the combine...

Black is one of the draft's top playmakers after picking off an eye-popping 33 passes in his last seven seasons of football, but he's too small to be so slow. Weighing in at 5-foot-9 1/2 and 184 pounds, Black recorded forty times of 4.74 and 4.78 while also failing to impress in the 60-yard shuttle (11.25) and three-cone drill (6.85). Of course, all of this could cause Black to be a great value on draft weekend. He led the Gators in tackles, interceptions, and forced fumbles last year.

Matters not though if you look at the production the young man has last year (in bold)...

I've begun to favor Carmichael, but would certainly love to see Black make it to our 5th rounder.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : March 02, 2011, 05:24:10 PM

I don't personally put to much stock in 40 times, but for RBs, WRs, and DBs....they are important. When a DB is running repeatedly in the high 4.7s it is a red flag. When that guy is also very undersized it equals late round pick. I'll be amazed if he goes in the first four rounds.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#41 : March 02, 2011, 05:52:10 PM

I 'll take a guy with heart and instinct over a guy with speed (Dexter Jackson anyone??)

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#42 : March 02, 2011, 05:59:22 PM

I'll take football players over athletes every time, and Black is definitely a football player....but he's a hair shy of 4.8 and that is slow for a DB. If we plug him in at FS, he will be a target. Teams will run their fastest guy right at him and past him. Safety is called a safety because he is suppose to be the safety net. The last line of defense. I'm just not sure you want a safety  with straight line speed that slow. At least not before the 5th round.

BucD

Hall of Famer

#43 : March 02, 2011, 06:52:07 PM

For the most part, I am with you JDouble...and getting him in the 5th or later would be good value IMO. 

I am willing to bet he runs faster at his pro day.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#44 : March 02, 2011, 07:15:22 PM

Doesn't everyone run faster at their pro day?

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Ahmad Black Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools