Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Bucs will do everything they can to retain RG Davin Joseph" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 29, 2011, 09:59:53 AM

Bucs Beat: A week of reporting at the Senior Bowl

2010, CLIFF McBRIDE/STAFF
One player who has a chance to turn a good offseason into more playing time in 2011 is LB Dekoda Watson.

By ROY CUMMINGS | The Tampa Tribune

Published: January 28, 2011

MOBILE, Ala. Emptying out my notebook after a week's worth of information gathering at the Senior Bowl:

The players have started to filter back onto the field and into the film and weight rooms at One Buc Place and fans will be glad to know that one of the first to return was QB Josh Freeman.

Word is that Freeman is already breaking down tape of himself and some of next year's opponents. Seems as though success hasn't gone to his head a bit. One of the primary goals the Bucs have for Freeman this offseason is to do a better job getting the offense into the right running play.

One player who has a chance to turn a good offseason into more playing time in 2011 is LB Dekoda Watson. The Bucs were impressed with Watson as a part-timer last season and are eager to see what he can do with a larger role. The Bucs aren't ready to make Watson their starting strongside linebacker just yet, but he will get the chance to challenge for the starter's job in training camp.

Should free agency come around, the Bucs will do everything they can to retain RG Davin Joseph. Though Derek Hardman played well in Joseph's absence late last season, the Bucs believe Joseph is an integral part of their offensive line. They don't necessarily feel the same about RT Jeremy Trueblood, but probably will try to retain him anyway. The Bucs don't want to cut into their newfound depth along the offensive front, and letting Trueblood go would do that.

The Bucs' plan for the 2011 NFL Draft is the same as last year: attack as if they need help at every position. The difference is that the Bucs don't need help at every position. What they do need, of course, is a defensive end who can get to the quarterback, so look for that "need everything'' approach to rule their thought process beginning in Round 2.

The Bucs want to re-sign RB Cadillac Williams for a variety of reasons. First, he's turning into an exceptional third-down back. Second, he's proven to be a team leader other players greatly admire and respect. Third, the Bucs believe Williams can help set a good example for lead back LeGarrette Blount. Blount will do as others in his position meeting room do, and he'll be just fine following the lead of Williams and Earnest Graham.

DT Gerald McCoy was cleared to begin working out last week. McCoy is recovering from a season-ending left biceps tear and will spend a good chunk of the offseason working out in San Diego with noted personal trainer/strength coach Todd Durkin.

The Bucs are pretty confident most of their injured players will be back for the start of training camp, if not offseason workouts. The one they're not quite sure about is RB Kareem Huggins. Huggins is making good progress in his rehabilitation from an ACL tear, but there's a chance he'll start training camp and maybe even the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

One of the more difficult decisions the Bucs have to make this offseason involves their linebacker corps. In addition to MLB Barrett Ruud, OLBs Quincy Black, Adam Hayward and Niko Koutouvides are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents. The Bucs don't want to lose two starters and two key special teams contributors, but may let one or two of the latter three go if they believe they can replenish during the draft.

(813) 259-7979

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 29, 2011, 01:19:08 PM

Sounds like HUggins really wrecked his knee pretty good.  For a guy who is reliant exclusively on his speed, it doesn't sound like he will be around much longer.

Could be wrong.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 29, 2011, 01:24:49 PM

Yikes

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 29, 2011, 01:31:42 PM

Integral part of their OL?

Davin is 9 kinds of suck and I guess since the line sucks overall he is a critical part of helping it reach that level of suck.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#4 : January 29, 2011, 01:33:01 PM

One player who has a chance to turn a good offseason into more playing time in 2011 is LB Dekoda Watson. The Bucs were impressed with Watson as a part-timer last season and are eager to see what he can do with a larger role. The Bucs aren't ready to make Watson their starting strongside linebacker just yet, but he will get the chance to challenge for the starter's job in training camp.

/fistpump

The quest for .500 begins...

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 29, 2011, 01:51:19 PM

Yes Watson!
I'm looking forward to seeing him possibly win his position battle.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#6 : January 29, 2011, 02:06:25 PM

I just don't see the need to worry about the OL when DL and CB are so desperate for an upgrade.

If I'm going to dip into FA this year, and not implying in any way I would, it would be for someone like Edwards,
not Mankins or Nicks. The front 7 just has to be taken care of first.

Don't think we really know what we have on the OL. With a center that has to be be replaced every year it
certainly does not help building continuity. And center is where I would start, not RT, then maybe 1 guard
position. Don't remember RT being part of the problem.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 29, 2011, 02:27:09 PM

I just don't see the need to worry about the OL when DL and CB are so desperate for an upgrade.

If I'm going to dip into FA this year, and not implying in any way I would, it would be for someone like Edwards,
not Mankins or Nicks. The front 7 just has to be taken care of first.

Don't think we really know what we have on the OL. With a center that has to be be replaced every year it
certainly does not help building continuity. And center is where I would start, not RT, then maybe 1 guard
position. Don't remember RT being part of the problem.

With our cap position we could do both. I mean really Mankins and Edwards might be $7m per year each. That isn't close to breaking us.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 29, 2011, 02:28:43 PM

With our cap position we could do both. I mean really Mankins and Edwards might be $7m per year each. That isn't close to breaking us.

that low?  i thought it was reported that if mankins is tagged it would be worth 10mil/year?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#9 : January 29, 2011, 02:31:50 PM

IF he is tagged, yeah I could see 10+ million.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 29, 2011, 02:36:59 PM

From ESPN Mike Reiss:

Q: Mike, I have an unresolved contract-related question for you. I'm no expert, but $7 million/season seems an awful lot for a guard, albeit a stallion like Mankins. Is it possible that the price tag for offensive linemen has become inflated due to so many stud linemen annually going so high in the draft? Thus, dudes like Mankins and Jahri Evans can look at Jake Long's rookie contract and demand more than they're worth. Or do you think that's a fair price tag for an o-lineman? -- Gabriel (Brooklyn, N.Y.)

A: Gabriel, I think the $7 million average for guards is less about the draft and players like Long and more about free-agent signings by Steve Hutchinson, Derrick Dockery, Eric Steinbach, Alan Faneca, Leonard Davis and Evans over the past four to five years. They helped set the top-of-the-line guard market at $7 million to $8 million per season.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#11 : January 29, 2011, 02:46:38 PM

Good find, Mike.

Forgot about Steinbach and Dockery's contracts.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#12 : January 29, 2011, 02:51:24 PM

that low?  i thought it was reported that if mankins is tagged it would be worth 10mil/year?
Brent (Charlotte)

I just read that the franchise tag might still used this offseason even with the whole CBA issue. What players in the NFC South might be franchised if the tag is still in use.
Pat Yasinskas
  (1:02 PM)

My understanding is they can't franchise anyone unless there is a new CBA.

rockinryne (fort fun indiana)

I think the Bucs resign Joseph. What say you kind sir?
Pat Yasinskas
  (1:39 PM)

Agree, he's too good a player to let go. With him and Penn, you have the nucleus of a good offensive line. And having an offensive line to protect Freeman is very important to that franchise.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36662/nfl-with-pat-yasinskas

/shrugs
: January 29, 2011, 02:54:28 PM bullg8rdaddy

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 29, 2011, 03:07:30 PM

It's uninformed people like Pat Yastinkass that make people think Davin Joseph is legendary, holy **CENSORED**.

BucMyLife

Pro Bowler
#14 : January 29, 2011, 03:08:48 PM

lol

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "Bucs will do everything they can to retain RG Davin Joseph" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools