Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kerrigan vs. Houston « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

chad1336

Starter

: February 01, 2011, 02:46:00 AM

I'm just throwing this out there, although I know the majority would prefer Kerrigan over Justin Houston.  But... I'd like to know why?

Technique wise, Kerrigan is probably more advanced right now at getting to the quarterback, but Houston has the better physical tools and as far as intangibles, and motor, he's got that too.

I know that Houston is a DE/OLB while Kerrigan is more of a DE, but they're about the same size, give or take one inch / five pounds.

Kerrigan will probably have the greater impact early on, but don't you think Houston could have a greater impact in the long run? plus the versatility of adding size to our LB position

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#1 : February 01, 2011, 03:25:32 AM

I'm actually for going for the pride of the Buckeye's - Cameron Heyward - if you want a truly dominating, relentless, game-changer at RDE, you should look at moving up to get him....(I mean, Arkansas had NO answer for him in this years Sugar Bowl).

Now, do you think it's more plausible to move up for Heyward, or Kerrigan - who has some speed, but mostly is known as a relentless, hard-working, second-effort guy - cut out of the Arron Kampman mold?

If you said Kerrigan - it breaks my heart - but I'm with you.

Incomparable sig by Incognito

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#2 : February 01, 2011, 03:27:28 AM

Don't think we would have to move up to get Heyward, in fact we could probably trade back.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#3 : February 01, 2011, 03:40:25 AM

Because of the surgery?

Right now - even after the surgery - Heyward is rated by draftscout.com as the 7th best by position, while Kerrigan is rated as 5th best by position.

...it HAS to be due to the surgery, because If you stood them side-by-side, then looked at their contributions, and finally at their 2011 bowl game performances - Heyward is by-far the better pick. I watched them play in the Big Ten and I would bet Heyward is the better RDE candidate in the NFL.

The elbow surgery is the only draw-back - and he played like a monster in the Sugar Bowl, after he injured it...
: February 01, 2011, 03:43:07 AM The White Tiger

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : February 01, 2011, 03:41:08 AM

I like Houston more than Kerrigan actually( Sorry WT i'm a buckeye fan as well)! Houston is just so explosive  dude reminds me of Woodley/Suggs. I think the only thing he's missing right now is a really good counter move but that will come with time. Just look at this first step and bend he plays with none of that Gaines Adams run yourself outta the play crap!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 01, 2011, 03:52:45 AM

He played at Georgia, and the video you reference is against Kentucy, are we seriously having this conversation? The guy destroyed the Arkansas offensive line (I'm rescinding your Buckeye man-card), and single handidly caused Ryan Mallet's accuracy to waiver!

I think there will be some re-assessing as we get closer to the draft and after some good news from the re-hab - THAT'S the ONLY thing diminishing Heyward.

I'd also counter that Heywards ability to play inside makes him a better candidate for the Bucs - they love guys that are versatile to play that Giant type front - the one they won the superbowl behind....

Check this out - 

Heyward

Kerrigan

Houston actually is graded as more as a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 RDE - pretty raw.

: February 01, 2011, 04:03:22 AM The White Tiger

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 01, 2011, 04:06:16 AM

I will counter your counter with Raheem for some strange reason loves that funky 3-3-5 and Houston plays DE/OLB, he offers some of that same versatility that Heyward does but at a position that we need much more help at. For the record I hate seeing Buckeyes go to any other team besides Tampa!!! Now return my Buckeye mancard pronto!!
: February 01, 2011, 04:08:08 AM 1VA BUCSFAN

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#7 : February 01, 2011, 04:22:26 AM

OK, Buckeye mancard is returned - but you are on probation - if Tress heard that, you'd be consigned to listening to "The Dead Schimbechlers" until you had a change of heart!

I wonder if that whole 3-3-5 experiment is due to the Mad Scientists preference, or due to not having the proper personnel to run more zone?

No way is that the base defense, it's more of a smoke & mirrors thing and works best when seldom-seen....

Nope, still sticking with a legit 4 man front as the base, and a legit RDE to swoop in and make plays when McCoy and Price flush the QB from the pocket...right into a RDE with all the tools and upside...

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#8 : February 01, 2011, 04:54:31 AM

as long as Houston is really 6'3" and in the 250s I would be happy to get him.  He definitely has room to bulk up some more.

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#9 : February 01, 2011, 07:54:51 AM

as long as Houston is really 6'3" and in the 250s I would be happy to get him.  He definitely has room to bulk up some more.

Def. more of an OLB in my opinion and i'd bet he was in the high 240's in that video. Don't want him at DE but I would love him to play strong side linebacker for us. Great speed and explosion. I didn't see an inside move which means he doesn't have one or its not very good and it gets blocked everytime he does it.

A great prospect and I think he'll go to as an OLB in a 3-4.

I'm still stuck on the idea that we need a well rounded DE. Doesn't have to lead the league in sacks but needs production in BOTH areas. Whoever our 1st pick is needs to help our pass and rushing defenses. I don't think this guy would be able to do that and i question how easily he'd get washed beyond the pocket in the NFL, much like Gaines. Some of his pass rushes he was barely touched. Great explosion but that just ain't gonna happen very often in the NFL.

Still want Kerrigan as he looks more stout in the run defense.
: February 01, 2011, 07:56:58 AM BucNY

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#10 : February 01, 2011, 08:46:49 AM

Kerrigan.

It would be exciting to have this lineup:
LDE - Ray Edwards/Kerrigan
RDE - Greg Romeus/Kerrigan

Having Kerrigan who can play both end positions would cause Olineman fits. Each tackle would have to gameplan for 2 taleted DE's as well as McCoy and Price.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#11 : February 01, 2011, 08:53:29 AM

I like Houston more than Kerrigan actually( Sorry WT i'm a buckeye fan as well)! Houston is just so explosive  dude reminds me of Woodley/Suggs. I think the only thing he's missing right now is a really good counter move but that will come with time. Just look at this first step and bend he plays with none of that Gaines Adams run yourself outta the play crap!

My Name is PWNASAURUS and I approve this message. Just watched this for the 1st time and this kid looks like a GREAT pass rusher who can utilize Speed and Power. Can rush from a 2 or 3 and seems to have no problems dropping in coverage. Houston emerged as one of the most feared pass rushers in the SEC in 2010. He had 67 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and finished second in the conference, behind Auburn's Nick Fairley, with 10 sacks. Houston was credited by Georgia with 44 QB hurries -- three times as many as any other Bulldog defender. That is a big stat there. Even if you don't get the sack, if you hurry or disrupt the QB then a play will be there for someone else to make. I say snatch him up at 20 if no one better falls. This guy right here would keep me from trading up if I'm the GM knowing he prob is there why would I trade a pick for another DE other than maybe Quinn.
: February 01, 2011, 09:03:30 AM PWNASAURUS

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#12 : February 01, 2011, 09:00:04 AM

I'd be happy with Quinn, Smith, Miller or Houston. What do all of them have in common? They all have great hips, and are very fluid athletes that can make the subtle moves you have to make to consistently pressure that edge. Kerrigan, Heyward, even Bowers may have more moves with their hands, but is because they have to because they are not as explosive in their hips.

4bucs

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 01, 2011, 09:18:33 AM

I still like Sheard....why because hes got a non stop motor and has great first step......watched him play a few games and you saw him on screen ALL game......after the combine we'll see who moves up and down  the pecking order......and my 2nd pick would Romeus who was hurt all last year ......we may be able to get him in the 4th and he would be a steal for the future....not right away till hes fully over his injuries.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 01, 2011, 09:48:26 AM

Technique wise, Kerrigan is probably more advanced right now at getting to the quarterback, but Houston has the better physical tools and as far as intangibles, and motor, he's got that too.

When you draft guys for their physical tools you get Sabby Piscatelli. I'm not saying Houston is no good, I actually love the guy, but the "better physical tools" argument is not a good one. Good teams draft football players, not athletes.

You admit Kerrigan is better technique wise and would probably make a bigger immediate impact and that's really where it ends. You draft a guy for what he has done and can do, not for what he might do in the future. In the NFL potential translates to "not good now"

Saying Houston has more of a motor than Kerrigan is just wrong.
: February 01, 2011, 09:49:58 AM JDouble

Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Kerrigan vs. Houston « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools