Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I want my country back....... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 05, 2011, 10:56:01 PM

Let me ask everyone, lets go on the premise that unlimited free health care is given to every American and paid for by our taxes. Would the government then have the right to "fine" you or otherwise penalize you for not exercising enough or eating properly? People who are overweight or smoke, they pay them same we do? Is it fair that those of us who take care of ourselves are forced to pay for Charlie Sheens immanent new liver? Remember, health care is free to all, including the rich, dumb and stupid, so he gets it for the same cost you would.

The liberal solution to this question is Big Brother. Control our food. Control our exercise routines. Eliminate tobacco and alcohol. Eliminate sodas. Everyone will be a vegitarian.

kevabuc

Hall of Famer

#31 : February 05, 2011, 11:49:35 PM

Oh, I absolutely believe Morgan served in the military for a long while. it explains his love of Big Govt. He is used to being told what to do, when to do it, how to do it, but never why. Years of military service have made him comfortable with strict authoritarian structure and the comfort of knowing all his living expenses were covered and guaranteed. He is not used to free market workplace where you have to be a self starter and self motivated with no one telling you when to wake, where to go, etc. Free Market ideas scare him because he has never had to develop his own self motivation and hasn't learned to believe in himself instead of the Military.

This sort of anti-military thinking is not new. i've been accustomed to seeing it for years and suspect a lot of Americans feel this way about the military. A lot of this "support your military" is just lip service. No problem. Just keep paying your taxes like a good American, and we'll continue to do your dirty work around the world.

Have your ever wondered where your next meal was coming from, have you ever wondered where you would be sleeping at night, have you ever wondered how to pay your doctor bill. I hope not as a member of the armed forces but i also hope you will realise that many here in America do while paying the taxes and doing the dirty work here at home. 

\"The budget should be balanced; the treasury should be refilled; public debt should be reduced; and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.\" -Cicero. 106-43 B.C.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 06, 2011, 12:18:06 AM

I think the government is too big not only domestically but internationally as well.

Right now the United States has over 1,000 FOREIGN military bases in 135 countries. WTF? Do these 135 countries not have militaries of their own? And now we are talking about adding PERMANENT bases in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Bring the troops home and put them on the Mexican border. Next time the cartels try to cross the border, we'll blow the s*** out of them. Lets have the military protect Americans for a change.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 06, 2011, 12:53:47 AM

Isn't it funny that the folks that shout "NAZI" at the tea party - just may know something of which they speak?!

Even funnier, the guys that tell us "...no one can impose morality on you..." are imposing morality on us.

It isn't often someone escapes the matrix, even more rare to have your paradigm shift all over the Matrix (via conversation no less) mor_an,  but now that you know - it's like Bob Dylan said "you're gonna have to serve somebody...."

...and since you cannot coerce good people to do wrong - when they know you're doing wrong...

Are you good, or are you ok with a powerful government forcing the people to comply with something they don't believe in?

Incomparable sig by Incognito

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 06, 2011, 07:09:22 AM

Trying to force a thought process on Morgan WT - not going to work WT.  He's not going to think for himself and you can't make him.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 06, 2011, 08:47:50 AM

The liberal solution to this question is Big Brother. Control our food. Control our exercise routines. Eliminate tobacco and alcohol. Eliminate sodas. Everyone will be a vegitarian.

Nope. The liberal view is to promote good exercise, stop subsidizing the wrong foods and contributing to a system that makes it cheap to eat fat and sugar filled garbage but eating healthy expensive, tax harmful things like tobacco and alcohol and force regulations to force those companies to be honest and open about how truly harmful their products are. Force food producers to fully label their products and educate the public about eating healthy.

The liberal view is about forcing big business to be open and honest with the public and educating the public in hopes that they will make better decisions. It's not about forcing citizens to do anything.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#36 : February 06, 2011, 09:29:29 AM

Nope. The liberal view is to promote good exercise, stop subsidizing the wrong foods and contributing to a system that makes it cheap to eat fat and sugar filled garbage but eating healthy expensive, tax harmful things like tobacco and alcohol and force regulations to force those companies to be honest and open about how truly harmful their products are. Force food producers to fully label their products and educate the public about eating healthy.

The liberal view is about forcing big business to be open and honest with the public and educating the public in hopes that they will make better decisions. It's not about forcing citizens to do anything.

If people are stupid enough to think McDonalds and other cheap fast food places are healthy, that's on them.

"Forcing big business to educate" is priceless.  Where in the hell are the tax dollars to public school systems going?  The liberals just love to throw more of other people's money at the problem, yet it never gets fixed.  When will you and people of your ilk learn?

I wish Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Franklin, etc. were on here to read and respond to your post.

SepeBucs

Hall of Famer

#37 : February 06, 2011, 10:59:14 AM

LOL, you hope to educate? OK what happens if your hopes fail? Then do you start to fine them? There is more information out there today then ever before about good diet and exercise yet the obesity rate is also at historic levels. And are you going to stop only at Tobacco and alcohol companies? Will car manufacturers have to teach the people how cars kill people? What about the scissors manufacturer, they can hurt people too. Where does it stop?

My big question, when are you going to hold the individual responsible for their own action? Reasonable safety regulations are great and needed in many cases, but a good dose of reality and personal responsibility on the public's behalf is also required.

BTW, I bet Charlie Sheen is well educated about the potential harmful effects of a suitcase of cocaine, a room full of prostitutes and cases of alcohol, and yet you still think he deserves free medical coverage paid for with my tax dollars.
: February 06, 2011, 11:01:14 AM SepeBucs

Which response do we get this time? Butthurt? Needs medical treatment? Or the all time favorite, \"Drama Queen\"

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#38 : February 06, 2011, 01:40:43 PM

They slap a surgeon general's warnning on cigarettes, and people still smoke them. McDonalds has nutrition facts printed on the wrappers of their foods, and the company still has tons of profits. Most fast food restaurants have switched to less harmful cooking oils. What else do you want "big business" to do?

McDonalds isnt new. It's been around since the 1950s and only recently has the rate of obesity soared. So it's not McDonalds alone that is causing the problem The lifestyle of the average American has changed significantly in the last 20-30 years. Experts say you should exercise at least 60 minutes worth of cardio workouts a week to maintain a healhty cardivascular system. That's as simple as running around the block a few times. How many people do that these days? Not many.

Kids today spend more time indoors than they ever have before. I remember when I was a kid, we didnt have computers. Video games were not really that popular yet. Every kid on the street had a bike and baseball glove and was out every day. I dont see that anymore. They are either watching TV, playing XBOX, texting, or their parents are scared of pedophiles.

How many kids in high school today do you think can run 1 mile without stopping? Im willing to bet more than 2/3rds won't be able to complete a quarter-mile without stopping.

That right there is the biggest problem leading to an unhealthy lifestyle.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#39 : February 06, 2011, 04:17:21 PM

If people are stupid enough to think McDonalds and other cheap fast food places are healthy, that's on them.

I didn't say anything like that. However, if we subsidized other vegetables instead of just corn and soy, the garbage currently on McDonald's menu would not be the cheapest and easiest thing to produce and shove in your pie hole.

"Forcing big business to educate" is priceless.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying. I simple mean to force big business to properly label there products, and to be truthful and accountable in their advertising. If the beef I am purchasing is from a cloned cow, I think I should be able to see that info on the package. If the chicken I'm buying has been treated with antibiotics and steroids, I think I have the right to now that information.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#40 : February 06, 2011, 05:10:54 PM

However, if we subsidized other vegetables instead of just corn and soy, the garbage currently on McDonald's menu would not be the cheapest and easiest thing to produce and shove in your pie hole.

People would eat healthier if vegetables were cheaper? Your logic doesn't pass the reality test.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#41 : February 06, 2011, 10:12:15 PM

Nothing has changed since the progressive left used it's new Washington D.C power to force the people to stop drinking alcohol. You said it was bad for us, you forced your will on the people, and you would not retreat.

You made a personal freedom, into a crime.

You leftist progressive's can't get out of your own way - It's as if you guys live in some alternate universe, where you can legislate gohod behavior, and then expect everyone to comply.

It's almost like your either blind (therefore don't see the parrallel) or you don't care - that you are forcing your morality on the rest of us.

See how I did that? You know that argument very well, don't you?

It's almost time...to choose. Are you good, or are you bad? Bad people force you to obey what they've decided is good for you. Good people reason with you to do what is right. Ultimately good people know, if you take power that doesn't belong to you, in order to save people from a behavior you don't like - you won't stop the behavior, you just create more criminals - which justifies more power to force people to comply - and once you cross that Rubicon, there is no END to the amount of power a government can take from the people.

It really is a question you need to ask - do you love freedom, or are you one of the supermen that will decide the proper behavior for the rest of us (that's called morality) - and then take MORE power to FORCE citizens to comply?

Again, like Dylan said - you're gonna' have to serve somebody.

...just remember, whatever you take, will eventually be taken from you.
: February 06, 2011, 10:24:40 PM The White Tiger

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#42 : February 06, 2011, 10:54:54 PM

You're really becoming a one-trick pony with that lame Nietzsche argument, Tiger. I wonder, though, just how many captive women and children do you have to slaughter before you stop presenting yourself as a moral authority?

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#43 : February 06, 2011, 11:52:45 PM

Nothing has changed since the progressive left used it's new Washington D.C power to force the people to stop drinking alcohol. You said it was bad for us, you forced your will on the people, and you would not retreat.

You made a personal freedom, into a crime.

You leftist progressive's can't get out of your own way - It's as if you guys live in some alternate universe, where you can legislate gohod behavior, and then expect everyone to comply.

It's almost like your either blind (therefore don't see the parrallel) or you don't care - that you are forcing your morality on the rest of us.

See how I did that? You know that argument very well, don't you?

It's almost time...to choose. Are you good, or are you bad? Bad people force you to obey what they've decided is good for you. Good people reason with you to do what is right. Ultimately good people know, if you take power that doesn't belong to you, in order to save people from a behavior you don't like - you won't stop the behavior, you just create more criminals - which justifies more power to force people to comply - and once you cross that Rubicon, there is no END to the amount of power a government can take from the people.

It really is a question you need to ask - do you love freedom, or are you one of the supermen that will decide the proper behavior for the rest of us (that's called morality) - and then take MORE power to FORCE citizens to comply?

Again, like Dylan said - you're gonna' have to serve somebody.

...just remember, whatever you take, will eventually be taken from you.

I don't think alcohol is the right argument.  It's the right argument for you and what you're trying to say but you should take cigarettes.  The government has basically been opposed to thier use for over 30 years and I expect to see them hardly at all in another 30 years.  Government didn't take an extremely heavy hand in getting rid of them but they did help to make sure the health risks were known to all americans. 

Now, to us right now the fast food warning issue might seem pretty silly but I'd bet on it being a big force in peoples choices going forward.  Fast food is bad for you.... Just like cigarettes are bad for you.  Is educating the public as bad as you're making it out with all this prohibition, government taking the your rights away nonsense?  Eat fast food if you want to eat it but I imagine... hope, we'll know better in 30, 40, and 50 years.  Warning about health risks is not the same thing as taking away people's rights.

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 07, 2011, 12:46:47 AM

You're really becoming a one-trick pony with that lame Nietzsche argument, Tiger. I wonder, though, just how many captive women and children do you have to slaughter before you stop presenting yourself as a moral authority?

How is it that you can catch the basis of the argument - but miss the point of the argument?

It's either true, or it isn't. Moral authority is funny like that. Either man justifies himself, and his actions, or he doesn't.

YOU have chosen a morality - you just chose one you cannot support intellectually. Don't feel bad though, much older and better educated men have wasted their time developing Neitzsche's ideas (mostly because they know they need one to base their philosophy upon - so by comparison, your waste of time is literally nothing (just ask them) in the end though, it's just man allowing better men to do whatever they want to other men.

The only political/legal system NOT based on the morality eminating from a supreme being - allows folks that make their own rules - to slaughter their rivals at will...and get this, they were totally justified by their OWN morality!

Voltaire was right.

Just because you don't like it - does not make it so.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: I want my country back....... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools