Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So You Ask, Who Was The Bucs Best Offensive Lineman In 2010 at Pass Protection? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 08, 2011, 12:01:29 AM

I would save your money and wait for spring to purchase the Football Outsiders Alamanc 2011. Well worth the buy and the metrics are much much more valid.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#31 : February 08, 2011, 01:06:23 AM

I actually, buy three different sites books or premium metrics. Scientific Football by KC Joyner, Football Prospectus  / Alamanc Football Outsiders and their premium stats and ProFootballFocus.com premium stats as well as the play by play data from Football Outsiders.com and the actual play by play data from NFL.com and use excel with VBA programming to pull data out of the play by play data to get a better picture of  different things and situational football and then compare what is going on, on the football field with the naked eye. Then one has the ability to compare and contrast based on analytical statistical analysis by using all metrics you get  a better perspective.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#32 : February 08, 2011, 02:22:29 AM

I have a lot of respect for Donald Penn.  He is not awful as some may try to paint him as being.

He is not elite, but he is a solid LT.

Just my two cents, I watched every game he has ever played in.  He is not amazing...but he is solid as a rock.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#33 : February 08, 2011, 07:08:25 AM

I would save your money and wait for spring to purchase the Football Outsiders Alamanc 2011. Well worth the buy and the metrics are much much more valid.

They have good metrics but they don't do well in individual non-skill position players. While I'm not 100% sold on some of the metrics used at PFF the breakdown of stats by non-skill position players - missed tackle, pressures allowed etc- makes it really useful.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : February 08, 2011, 07:09:53 AM

I have a lot of respect for Donald Penn.  He is not awful as some may try to paint him as being.

He is not elite, but he is a solid LT.

He's solidly below average in this league but thank god he's out for the next 4 years! Maybe we can lock down Davin this offseason and REALLY secure the future of our OL!

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 08, 2011, 09:34:06 AM

Disagree.  FO has explained that they get their ratings from the play-by-play on NFL.com.  Basically if LeGarrette Blount breaks 3 tackles in the backfield and then runs for 10 yards through the G/T hole, it goes as a positive for that G/T even though they blew their blocks.

PFF actually watches the plays and gives credit based on who deserves it, not necessarily just the end-result.  I like that.  While their is some guessing that goes on with this method, it gives you better look at individuals over the course of an entire season.  Plus, that's how organizations grade their players.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#36 : February 08, 2011, 02:50:07 PM

Disagree.  FO has explained that they get their ratings from the play-by-play on NFL.com.  Basically if LeGarrette Blount breaks 3 tackles in the backfield and then runs for 10 yards through the G/T hole, it goes as a positive for that G/T even though they blew their blocks.

PFF actually watches the plays and gives credit based on who deserves it, not necessarily just the end-result.  I like that.  While their is some guessing that goes on with this method, it gives you better look at individuals over the course of an entire season.  Plus, that's how organizations grade their players.
Oh wow, I did not know about that. That is a valid point. I guess PFF is better than what I originally thought. Its just one of those things that when FO have been doing their metrics so long I tend to think their stuff is more accurate at a skill position standpoint. For an example the casual fan would say "Champ Bailey" was the most dominant CB this decade when in reality Nnamdi Asomugha's worst season metrically is about the same as Bailey's best season. PFF doesn't have the evidence to debunk that claim since their realitively new? I'm not sure since I'm not a member but I know for a fact they haven't been tracking since the 90's like FO.

But, it appears PFF is more complete while FO is only good for their position skill metrics.

: February 08, 2011, 02:53:53 PM Detrimental

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : February 08, 2011, 04:14:59 PM

That is a negative for PFF.  They only keep their data available for three years.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So You Ask, Who Was The Bucs Best Offensive Lineman In 2010 at Pass Protection? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools