Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Thank you Bill O'Reilly « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 06, 2011, 05:17:15 PM

I always hear the argument that FOX News lies all the time.  I have yet to hear one example of a lie they put forth.  You know, something concrete.  This is what they said and this is the truth.

Are you kidding? Everything he said in that video is wrong. ALL OF IT.

I wasn't really referring to the O'Rielly video, just FOX News in general.   

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

FreeWill

Starter

#16 : February 06, 2011, 05:23:33 PM

I always hear the argument that FOX News lies all the time.  I have yet to hear one example of a lie they put forth.  You know, something concrete.  This is what they said and this is the truth.

Well O'Reilly works for FOX. He spreads false information about the moon and the sun and life on earth all the time. So there is the one example you are asking for. I don't watch FOX News, but I'm sure they lie, or "twist the truth" all the time. All news channels do it though I am sure, so I'm not neccessarily attacking FOX only. My issue with this is that he is spreading false information to people who watch him and look up to him.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#17 : February 06, 2011, 05:41:21 PM

Well O'Reilly works for FOX. He spreads false information about the moon and the sun and life on earth all the time. So there is the one example you are asking for. I don't watch FOX News, but I'm sure they lie, or "twist the truth" all the time. All news channels do it though I am sure, so I'm not neccessarily attacking FOX only. My issue with this is that he is spreading false information to people who watch him and look up to him.

I hear ya.  But if people "look up" to any newscaster or pundit or whatever the hell he is, that is all wrong.  Its a fine line bewteen opinion and newscasting.  Some pretty famous people have some whacky opinions but they are entitled to them just as much as losers on a message board.  Bottom line is no one should worship anyone just because they stand in front of a tv camera.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

FreeWill

Starter

#18 : February 06, 2011, 05:55:53 PM

I hear ya.  But if people "look up" to any newscaster or pundit or whatever the hell he is, that is all wrong.  Its a fine line bewteen opinion and newscasting.  Some pretty famous people have some whacky opinions but they are entitled to them just as much as losers on a message board.  Bottom line is no one should worship anyone just because they stand in front of a tv camera.

Absolutely. Sadly, there ARE people like that. And it is morally irresponsible to feed them false information, while hiding the real truth from them. Not just hiding it, but slandering the people and scientific principles that know and can explain the truth. That is the definition of propoganda, and Bill O'Reilly is the master of it.

"Do not spread slanderous gossip among your people. Do not try to get ahead at the cost of your neighbor's life, for I am the LORD." - Leviticus 19:16

"To hide hatred is to be a liar; to slander is to be a fool." - Proverbs 10:18

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 06, 2011, 07:46:51 PM

...I don't watch FOX News, but I'm sure they lie, or "twist the truth" all the time.
Are you serious - you don't watch but you're sure ...  ::) ::)

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

jbear

Pro Bowler

#20 : February 06, 2011, 10:08:31 PM

"There is no astronomical reason why the moon and the sun should fit so well. It is the sheerest of coincidences, and only the Earth among all the planets is blessed in this fashion."

~Isaac Asimov

I'm a huge Asimov fan and enjoyed both the quotes but for starters... Asimov died in the late 80's I believe.  Also, this quote seems very reminicent of the begining lines of one of his books although I can't place it.  (He's a Science FICTION author should anyone be confused)  Also, as the next poster pointed out, he claimed to be an atheist at certain points in his life.  He also wrote about life on earth being so diverse because of radiation...  this was in his "Foundation" series, I believe writen mostly in the 1960's and 70's.  In this series he told a tale of humans spreading throughout the galaxy without finding traces of any other planet with inteligent life.  The reason he said was because earth was the only planet with radiation.?.? 

Lets not try to mislead people here ufojoe.  Asimov said a lot of crazy **CENSORED**.  Hitting on the few things he did made him a legend of Science fiction but quoteing him out of context is hardly going to prove the existence of god.

FreeWill

Starter

#21 : February 07, 2011, 12:23:25 AM

...I don't watch FOX News, but I'm sure they lie, or "twist the truth" all the time.

I don't watch FOX News because I don't get it where I live. But I have seen and read enough on the internet and on other tv networks to feel confident in saying they spin stories in their favour. I think anyone can admit that. But I can also admit that it applies to all news networks, whether it is MSNBC, CNN, or FOX. They all have their own agendas, but the media SHOULD NOT HAVE AN AGENDA. FOX will stop at nothing to destroy Obama, and previously MSNBC would do whatever they could to destroy Bush. It is one thing to agree or disagree with the opposition, but when it gets to the point where you are calling them Nazis, then I would say it has gone a little too far. Glen Beck even stated recently that Obama is trying to turn the U.S. into Soviet Russia. That's just **CENSORED**ing stupid and anyone who believes that is a moron. Even the PRESIDENT of FOX, Roger Ailes, called the NPR Nazis. While all news networks are bad in my view, none of them spread fear and hate better than FOX. For anyone who doesn't think this is much of an issue, keep in mind that Fox news is the number one news network in America. So people ARE watching it, and they KEEP watching it so they obviously believe and agree with what they are presenting.

Presenting honest news is not a priority to the media, all they care about is being entertaining and making money. Kind of like how all the major networks were covering the death of Michael Jackson for almost an entire week while there were more important things like a war going on. The perfect example I can think of when it comes to the media's negligence is the Zadroga bill. I would hope most americans would know what that is, but for those who don't, it was the bill that would give compensation to 9/11 first responders who are suffering from various diseases related to working at ground zero. Did you know that not ONE media outlet (MSNBC, CNN, or FOX) made any mention of this bill while it was being filibustered. I can't even believe it would be filibustered in the first place. What is even more embarrassing is that AL JAZEERA mentioned it before any of the american news channels did. That's the same Al Jazeera that Bin Laden sends his video tapes to. Don't believe me? Check out the video at the end of this post.

Another major problem is that most people who watch MSNBC do not watch FOX and vise versa, and therefore they are only really receiving one side of the story. That's why I personally hate the American media, because it is essentially a war. FOX is extremely right wing and MSNBC is extremely left wing. I don't know what CNN is, probably left wing as well because all media is liberal apparently. My point is that there is no middle ground and it is much like American politics to be honest. Instead of both sides working together to resolve conflicts (or in this case, presenting news), they just constantly attack one another, dividing the country at the same time. There is no effort to provide actual news, all that matters is each side's agenda and how to best attack the opposition. I don't know about you, but in my opinion that is wrong. News networks hold so much power because people are forced to believe in what they say. Instead of using that power to educate, they use it to deceive. 

If you are wondering why I care so much, it is because I personally do not hate the U.S. as much as most of the world does. I was born in the U.S., but I have lived in Canada for pretty much my whole life so I know a lot more about the U.S. than other people might. Canadian media is very different than American media (when it comes to television at least). There really is only one major TV news network and that's the CBC. Don't get me wrong there is right wing media and left wing media, but there is not nearly as much hatred and hostility between them compared to FOX and MSNBC. And honestly, I think that's the way it should be. The same goes for the political process, but I won't get into that.

I don't mean to sit here and point out everything that is wrong with the U.S. because like I said I generally like it and may even consider moving there in the future. BUT I do see a major flaw in how the media operates and I believe it is a huge reason why there is so much hatred between dems and libs. Feel free to agree/disagree with me, I enjoy discussing the topic :P

: February 07, 2011, 12:33:10 AM miker1010

jbear

Pro Bowler

#22 : February 07, 2011, 12:40:39 AM

Props FreeWill, I've been saying much the same thing for a while.  American media is poisonous right now.  Partly because a lot of Americans are tuning into the last place they should for news.  (FOX or MSNBC) It is probably impossible to find completely unbiased news but it doesn't take a genious to figure out after a few minutes that you aren;t getting that with either of those two networks.  I watch BBC and PBS sometimes and I admit sometimes they seem to have an agenda of thier own but its still nice to see how they look at an issue.  People should pay attention to where they get their information.  thats all I'd give for advice.  look at the channel first then just don't take everything for gospel.  See how they take it and open your mind.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 07, 2011, 07:16:23 AM

I don't watch FOX News because I don't get it where I live.
No doubt

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#24 : February 07, 2011, 07:58:00 AM

funny how O'reilly makes a great case but arrogant pompous agnostics & atheists  want to answer questions with more questions. Well if you follow that logic ....SOMEONE HAD TO BEGIN IT ALL by a method of HIS choosing..

If you say a meteor crashing into the earth caused the formation of the moon ~ then what caused the meteor to be? What caused the meteor to have motion? What caused those forces that caused the motion to come to be?
Follow this analysis backwards retracing your steps to the infinitesimal denseness of matter & possible beginning of it all....who put that there? If a chemical reaction caused it to BIG BANG...who started the chemical reaction?

Although most atheists are extremely intelligent people they refuse to follow their own logic to answer their own questions for fear of getting an answer that doesn't fit their agenda.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#25 : February 07, 2011, 11:15:50 AM

Gravity is a pretty foreign concept to some people.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

jbear

Pro Bowler

#26 : February 07, 2011, 12:31:45 PM

Quote from: One Truth
funny how O'reilly makes a great case but arrogant pompous agnostics & atheists  want to answer questions with more questions. Well if you follow that logic ....SOMEONE HAD TO BEGIN IT ALL by a method of HIS choosing..

If you say a meteor crashing into the earth caused the formation of the moon ~ then what caused the meteor to be? What caused the meteor to have motion? What caused those forces that caused the motion to come to be?
Follow this analysis backwards retracing your steps to the infinitesimal denseness of matter & possible beginning of it all....who put that there? If a chemical reaction caused it to BIG BANG...who started the chemical reaction?

Although most atheists are extremely intelligent people they refuse to follow their own logic to answer their own questions for fear of getting an answer that doesn't fit their agenda.

Actually, I've never met an athiest who wasn't open minded when it comes to things currently not provable by science.  Try to get a christian to admit that the virgin Mary wasn't really a virgin, or that dinosaurs aren't really just dragons that fought with jesus and you'll see who's openminded. 
: February 07, 2011, 12:36:21 PM jbear

FreeWill

Starter

#27 : February 07, 2011, 12:52:10 PM

Let me first be very clear that I am not an athiest. I am agnostic, in that I do believe in a "creator" but I do not believe in religion at all. And it's funny because I was actual born and raised as a christian, I had a baptism, went through communion and confirmation. But then I grew up, and stopped believing in "God" much like I stopped believing in Santa Claus. I found out later that both my parents were agnostic as well, so I was kinda pissed but oh well.

"Although most atheists are extremely intelligent people they refuse to follow their own logic to answer their own questions for fear of getting an answer that doesn't fit their agenda."

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!                 WOW!!!! The irony in that statement is BEYOND COMPREHENSION!                !!!!!!!!!!!

SOMEONE had to begin it all? That is the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. It is not a SOMEONE it is a SOMETHING. And HIS choosing? I would like to know how you are so sure if it is someone sitting up in the clouds who made the universe, that it's a HE. That's just so wrong on so many levels I don't know where to begin. And if "God" created the universe, then what created "God"? The point that athiests and agnostics make is that NO ONE KNOWS how the universe was created. To all the religious people out there who claim they KNOW how it was created, I promise you YOU DON'T. Because you do not possess special brain powers that I don't. Religion claims that they know the answer, and much like the media deceives us, religion deceives us as well.

Having faith in religion means making a virtue out of not thinking. If "God" created us, and gave us these sophisticated brains, don't you think he gave them to us for a reason? To use them maybe? Religion is dangerous because it allows human beings, who dont have all the answers, to think that they DO. The only appropriate attitude for man to have about big questions like who created the big bang for instance, is not the arrogant certitude that is the hallmark of religion, but doubt. Because doubt is humble, and that is what man needs to be, considering that human history is just a litany of getting things dead wrong. (The earth is flat, the sun revolves around the earth etc.)

You're the arrogant one buddy. Claiming that you know how the universe was created when you have absolutely no clue. I'll leave you with a question. and really think about this one. Picture yourself right now living in Pakistan. You were born in Pakistan. Your mother and father were also born and raised in Pakistan. Would you believe in Jesus Christ? No, you would believe in Mohammed. To do otherwise would be blasphemy. You see, the fact that there are SO MANY religions, each claiming to be the one "true" religion, proves that it is more a collective neurosis than a metaphysical observation.

I'd also like to add that I think the Bible has a lot of great philosophies and teachings. The ten commandments for instance, except for the first four. As well as the teachings of Jesus Christ. I think every person on Earth should live the way Jesus said. But some people interpret the Bible WAY TO SERIOUSLY.
: February 07, 2011, 01:02:33 PM miker1010

FreeWill

Starter

#28 : February 07, 2011, 02:24:55 PM

Just something to think about. If you are truly confident in your beliefs, then you should have no issue watching this.

: February 07, 2011, 02:26:57 PM miker1010

OneTruth

Pro Bowler

#29 : February 07, 2011, 02:36:21 PM

response to video above^^

Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Thank you Bill O'Reilly « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools