Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden would still be the Bucs head coach today if................ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : February 07, 2011, 02:31:06 PM »

Jon Gruden would still be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach today if….

http://bit.ly/ggPZqt
Posted by eric.schmidt   February 7, 2011

Jon Gruden would still be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach today if, he had draft Aaron Rodgers in 2005, plain and simple. The Buccaneers used their first round selection in 2005 on Auburn RB, Carnell Williams. Williams had a great rookie season, however he started out fast, and never recovered as the season wore on.

Running backs in recent years, have become basically a plug and play type position. This year, the Buccaneers plugged in undrafted free agent, LeGarrette Blount, that worked out nicely.

So, for the head coach that the NFL fawns over as being the offensive genius, the former coach that ESPN created a show for to evaluate the players at that position coming out in last year’s draft, how could this “genius” overlook Aaron Rodgers?

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers took a major slide in the draft in 2005, it was painful to watch. ESPN finally moved Rodgers into the Green Room as his stock continued to plummet. I think 20 or so NFL general managers are looking like idiots today.

Jon Gruden, regarded as the quarterback coach, passed on Aaron Rodgers. How different would the landscape look in Tampa right now, if he had selected Rodgers? Would the Buccaneers be contending for the NFC crown, would they have won another Super Bowl title? Seriously, the 2005 Buccaneers team went to battle with Brian Griese and Chris Simms. But the play from the quarterback position continued to deteriorate as Gruden’s tenure went on.

For a former Super Bowl winning head coach, which is propped up by ESPN as being the master of quarterbacks, how could Gruden have let Aaron Rodgers slip by? He still could have drafted Carnell Williams at the number 5 spot, but he could have moved back in around the 20th spot. If that move would have happened, how different would the Buccaneers landscape look today?

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #1 : February 07, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »

You don't say.

thanson

Starter

« #2 : February 07, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »

...the glazers were not cheap a$$'s

PWNASAURUS

Starter

« #3 : February 07, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »

Funny thing is they told Rodgers that if he was there at #5 they would take him. Way to go Gruden. YOUR FIRED!!!! He wasn't gonna let some 1st round top 5 QB outshine him. He HAD to do it with the off the street old veteran type or else they wouldn't say how great of a job he has done with "insert any old veteran QB" coaching him up. As far as the QB position is concerned, Gruden was a credit whore and it cost him big time. He wants the credit of  turning around a veteran who didn't have much success before or the late round Rookie no one has heard of that he can mold.
« : February 07, 2011, 02:41:18 PM PWNASAURUS »

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #4 : February 07, 2011, 02:44:39 PM »

...the glazers were not cheap a$$'s
How is not picking Rodgers the Glazers' fault?

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #5 : February 07, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »

ZZZZZZ....  Not picking Rodgers was not the determinant, only another of mannny examples.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #6 : February 07, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »

Wow. Some people need to attend Slam-Gruden-anonymous. You're like alcoholics or drug addicts. Let it go.
We know the Bucs should have picked someone other than Cadillac in 2005, just as MC80 was a bad pick in 2004. It happens. You want to blame Gruden for every bad thing that happened, knock yourself out. Using this logic, why didn't we pick Tom Brady once upon a time? We had several chances.
It's the Raheem Era now. It's working out so far. Give it up. Playing the Retro Blame Game helps no one at this juncture. It's over.

In Verner We Trust

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #7 : February 07, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »

Laces out, Dan.

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #8 : February 07, 2011, 03:05:23 PM »

The clarity of your hindsight is astounding.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
« #9 : February 07, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »

I'm calling bullspit.

If Gruden had drafted Rodgers, Rodgers wouldn't have sat and learned under Brett Favre for a few years. He would have been learning from Brian Griese.
Like him or not, Rodgers learning time with Brett Favre was invaluable.

Cadillac was the right pick at the time.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #10 : February 07, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »

I'm calling bullspit.

If Gruden had drafted Rodgers, Rodgers wouldn't have sat and learned under Brett Favre for a few years. He would have been learning from Brian Griese.
Like him or not, Rodgers learning time with Brett Favre was invaluable.

Cadillac was the right pick at the time.

Favre didn't teach Rodgers jack, he got as much knowledge from him as one could get when watching tape on Brett Favre, that's it.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #11 : February 07, 2011, 03:22:11 PM »

Kind of hard to tell. Maybe it lit a fire under him ala Steve Young. Then again, the Bucs' Oline isn't as good as Green Bay's. Their receivers are more experienced (though I'd rather have ours going forward).
I think if we had picked Steven Jackson AND then Rodgers, it would be different. But we didn't and we move on.

In Verner We Trust

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #12 : February 07, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »

...he won

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #13 : February 07, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

I wanted Cedric Benson or us to trade up for Alex Smith. Lets face it, everyone was wrong about Aaron Rodgers. This hindsight BS is nonsense.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #14 : February 07, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »

I wanted Cedric Benson or us to trade up for Alex Smith. Lets face it, everyone was wrong about Aaron Rodgers. This hindsight BS is nonsense.
It's the real world, though. Mike Nolan was wrong and he got fired. Nick Saban was wrong and high-tailed it out of town. Romeo Crennel was wrong and he got fired. Lovie Smith was wrong and he had to mortgage his butt for Jay Cutler to save himself. The list goes on and on.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden would still be the Bucs head coach today if................ « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools