Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden would still be the Bucs head coach today if................ « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#30 : February 07, 2011, 05:58:22 PM

I believe most fans are glad he came and glad he left, and Gruden probably feels the same way.

I know I am!!!

I just got tired of watching the  most predictable offense on earth. A half a dozen shifts and motions before the snap followed by a three-yard dink or dunk. Gruden should be choreographing square dances rather than trying to run an NFL offense.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#31 : February 07, 2011, 06:00:58 PM

I'm calling bullspit.

If Gruden had drafted Rodgers, Rodgers wouldn't have sat and learned under Brett Favre for a few years. He would have been learning from Brian Griese.
Like him or not, Rodgers learning time with Brett Favre was invaluable.

Cadillac was the right pick at the time.

Favre didn't teach Rodgers jack, he got as much knowledge from him as one could get when watching tape on Brett Favre, that's it.
I was going to say I remember hearing Farve say something to the effect that he wasn't going to help Rodgers.  That it isn't his job.

Tampa-Two

Hall of Famer

#32 : February 07, 2011, 06:07:21 PM

Could've should've would've.

If we drafted Tom Brady in 2000 in the sixth round instead of David Gibson, Gruden would have not been hired.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#33 : February 07, 2011, 06:11:25 PM

Could've should've would've.
If we drafted Tom Brady in 2000 in the sixth round instead of David Gibson, Gruden would have not been hired.

Difference is the Qb "guru" went to Cal and worked out the projected #1 pick only to pass on him for a part-time rb..... even after promising to take him if he was still there when we were on the clock.

I just got tired of watching the  most predictable offense on earth. A half a dozen shifts and motions before the snap followed by a three-yard dink or dunk. Gruden should be choreographing square dances rather than trying to run an NFL offense.

If i had hair, i woulda pulled it out after the 3 yd outs to the TEs.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#34 : February 07, 2011, 06:18:14 PM

No, it's just that the Bucs drafted poorly enough so that a stud quarterback wouldn't have been enough to be where we want to be. Look at what MD added the last two years. It's not just Freeman..

I realize you think it's a complete coincidence when good QB's make others around them better, but it's not.  It's reality. 

When you also consider the Bucs went to the playoffs with Chris Simms and Jeff Garcia at the helm since 2005, Rodgers would have clearly been an upgrade and not ruined.  Elite QB's take you places.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#35 : February 07, 2011, 06:22:15 PM

Gruden would still be the coach of the Bucs had he known not only how to spot talent but draft it and develop it, didn't use every excuse possible for an explanation for a loss and talked out of both ends.  Gruden is good for finishing the job but he SUCKS for trying to build and maintain!!  Rodgers or no Rodgers we still would have been stuck with Griese as we all know Gruden wouldnt have played Rodgers.

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#36 : February 07, 2011, 08:13:47 PM

we all know Gruden wouldnt have played Rodgers.

Only the less gifted of us "know" that.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#37 : February 07, 2011, 08:22:45 PM

Someone stated it perfectly earlier in regards to Gruden, he could never be a head coach with a QB like Manning, Brady or any Franchise QB. His ego would never allow it.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#38 : February 07, 2011, 08:28:01 PM

Why would Gruden have not played Rodgers?  Gruden played a LOT of rookies and young players.  It was KIFFIN who didn't want to play rookies.

After all, Gruden played Gradkowski, a 6th round pick IIRC and started him for a considerable time.

.....just my opinion

PWNASAURUS

Starter

#39 : February 07, 2011, 08:30:23 PM

Someone stated it perfectly earlier in regards to Gruden, he could never be a head coach with a QB like Manning, Brady or any Franchise QB. His ego would never allow it.
No way. No one would be that crazy to think that.  ;)

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#40 : February 07, 2011, 08:44:17 PM

No, it's just that the Bucs drafted poorly enough so that a stud quarterback wouldn't have been enough to be where we want to be. Look at what MD added the last two years. It's not just Freeman..

I realize you think it's a complete coincidence when good QB's make others around them better, but it's not.  It's reality. 

When you also consider the Bucs went to the playoffs with Chris Simms and Jeff Garcia at the helm since 2005, Rodgers would have clearly been an upgrade and not ruined.  Elite QB's take you places.
HORSEFEATHERS as to the coincidence part of your comment. You take each player individually and don't generalize. And you assess the whole roster, not just one player in isolation.
We have no idea how Rodgers would have played in 2005. As it was, we had a pretty good season. But you're ignorant if you concede that the several bad calls against us didn't have a major impact on the outcome of the Washington game. I know you're glad we lost it, so I won't rehash it. Go on minimizing how good our season was if that makes you feel more miserable.
The Bucs' offensive line still isn't good enough to win a championship. But even an Aaron Rodgers couldn't have made MC80 a star. MC80 did it to himself and would have failed under any system, any coach, with any supporting cast. Caddy's injuries were random. But would Rodgers have been a better option in 2007 and 2008? Probably. And if you already have him, you can address other needs with the Freeman pick in 2009. But it didn't happen.
Resume your Gruden hating ways. I'm sure every time Rodgers wins another game over the next decade you'll be happy because you can revive your Gruden malice once again.
As for yours truly, I'll be living in the NOW, enjoying Joshy Franchise. A few more weapons and he's gonna have some FUN.

In Verner We Trust

Chief Joseph

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#41 : February 07, 2011, 08:50:27 PM

After all, Gruden played Gradkowski, a 6th round pick IIRC and started him for a considerable time.

Gradkowski never played. Everyone knows Gruden wouldn't play rookies.

Illuminator is a good poster. He sticks to his guns and makes good points. Some don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t like that.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#42 : February 07, 2011, 09:04:57 PM

Dungy would still be coach if he would have drafted jevon kearse instead of booger mcfarland.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#43 : February 07, 2011, 09:10:09 PM

Wow. That's really pulling an old name out of the hat.

In Verner We Trust

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#44 : February 07, 2011, 09:12:51 PM

The Bucs' offensive line still isn't good enough to win a championship. But even an Aaron Rodgers couldn't have made MC80 a star. MC80 did it to himself and would have failed under any system, any coach, with any supporting cast. Caddy's injuries were random. But would Rodgers have been a better option in 2007 and 2008? Probably. And if you already have him, you can address other needs with the Freeman pick in 2009. But it didn't happen.
The Bucs have had their talent issues the last 8 or so years, but they were never totally devoid. Every year Gruden was here we had one 1,000 yard receiver between Keyshawn, Galloway, Clayton, and Bryant. Morris in 2009 actually had by far the worst corps since the Reidel and Jacquez days and Freeman survived ok. Likewise, the offensive line was always at least decent outside of 2006. Rodgers got sacked 50 times in Green Bay in 2009 so I don't see the guys the Bucs had as a major deterrent. I agree I couldn't be more excited about Freeman's future, but I don't think there was really much to hold Rodgers back had he become a Buccaneer.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden would still be the Bucs head coach today if................ « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools