Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Warren Sapp urged Bucs to hire Kevin Millard « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yungbull

Starter
: February 09, 2011, 11:22:11 AM

"......They put me on the phone with Dominik and I told him to hire this man," Sapp told my colleague Rick Stroud. "You'll never have a problem with him. He's not looking to become a head coach. He's nothing but a workaholic. You think he doesn't know the Cover 2 (defense) or the three technique? He is the original. It's always been him, John Randle and me. I was with the man. I know a hard worker. I worked for (Rod) Marinelli."

Sapp played under Millard at the end of his career when Millard was an assistant with the Raiders. Sapp credits the coach for much of his late-career success....."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/warren-sapp-urged-bucs-hire-kevin-millard

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#1 : February 09, 2011, 11:32:46 AM

Sold. Warren doesn't fluff around like other members of the media. He says what he really feels.

I love the fact that Dominik asked for and took his advice.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#2 : February 09, 2011, 11:55:41 AM

Sold. Warren doesn't fluff around like other members of the media. He says what he really feels.

I love the fact that Dominik asked for and took his advice.

Agreed!

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

smove28

Starter

#3 : February 09, 2011, 12:25:18 PM

You gotta love this new regime we have. Dom talked to Sapp, the guy we are trying to pattern McCoy into, Sapp said hire him and Dom listened. I am really psyched.

The smartest guys in any business are the best listeners. Guaranteed.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#4 : February 09, 2011, 01:02:19 PM

"I told Raheem, I don't know what you're thinking, but if you've got a defensive line position open and want somebody to work with a young guy like Gerald McCoy, Millard is the guy," Sapp said. "I've done everything I can, but I don't have the time to really teach the kid. This man I played under, and he gave me 10 sacks with the Raiders as a 32-year-old. This is the man you got to hire."

That's a Ringing Endorsement if I've every heard one!

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#5 : February 09, 2011, 01:08:33 PM

So how does Stretz fit into the picture?

Go get Bridgewater.   Do what it takes.

watson

Hall of Famer
#6 : February 09, 2011, 01:11:50 PM

Hard to find a better endorsement than that.  Sapp is the last great 3 technique DT that the NFL has seen.  As he said it was Randle, then Millard and then him.  Having that kind of pedigree to teach not only McCoy, but also Price might be the best hire that MD and RM have made.  It sounds like McCoy is ready to put in the work (based on another article I read) this off-season and if Millard is the worked that Sapp says he is then this could really impact the defensive line.

PLEASE get this CBA mess fixed!!

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#7 : February 09, 2011, 01:41:09 PM

The endorsement by Sapp, is unquestionably very exciting to here. Considering Sapp is not known for vouching for a positional coach or player for that matter. If he thinks said person does not warrant it.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#8 : February 09, 2011, 01:42:27 PM

Anyone have any information on how they are going to use both Dline coaches?

SR?   CC?    Bueller?

;)

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#9 : February 09, 2011, 01:49:52 PM

Melon - From reading the different articles thus far. It would appear that both coaches are going to be very hands on in teaching the proper fundamentals of both the pass rush and run defense. I think during rushing drills and technique Millard will be at the forefront and when the team is teaching run defense i.e shedding blocks, gap integrity and so fourth Stretz will be at the forefront. I personally like the decision considering how young the line will be for players to be able to get more hands on training.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

blind melon

Hall of Famer

#10 : February 09, 2011, 02:12:24 PM

Nice.   A decent assumption.

I also like that fact that they ARE putting resources into fixing their most prominent weaknesses (in addition to helping the young Dlinemen play to and above their potential.)

Tebowmania 25

Pro Bowler

#11 : February 09, 2011, 02:15:47 PM

Good stuff, hopefully Sapp will keep getting more involved. Hope he stays around One Buc. Heck we could keep him on the sidelines. Defensive assistant or something. I'm sure he would be open to it.

chad1336

Starter

#12 : February 09, 2011, 02:18:48 PM

Maybe we really only need on DE in the draft and Bennett or Crowder could be coached up to be the other starter.  No matter what, this would qualify right up there as DE as a need, for sure (DL coach).

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#13 : February 09, 2011, 02:19:08 PM

It's great to see Sapp still gives a crap about the team that was too cheap to resign him and let him end his career where it started because it valued some stiff named Booger more at the time.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#14 : February 09, 2011, 02:20:14 PM

Good stuff, hopefully Sapp will keep getting more involved. Hope he stays around One Buc. Heck we could keep him on the sidelines. Defensive assistant or something. I'm sure he would be open to it.
he's a full time media personality and I'm sure a well paid one.  No time for him to coach.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Warren Sapp urged Bucs to hire Kevin Millard « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools