Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Warren Sapp urged Bucs to hire Kevin Millard « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Cerious

Hall of Famer

#15 : February 09, 2011, 02:48:00 PM

It's great to see Sapp still gives a crap about the team that was too cheap to resign him and let him end his career where it started because it valued some stiff named Booger more at the time.

Without question that was one of the worst defensive decisions made by the previous regime. Sapp blamed Monte Kiffen for that whole ordeal and I don't blame him for doing so. Monte chose Booger over Sapp for some crazy reason. I don't think Rod was around when that went down either, IIRC.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#16 : February 09, 2011, 02:55:48 PM

Good stuff, hopefully Sapp will keep getting more involved. Hope he stays around One Buc. Heck we could keep him on the sidelines. Defensive assistant or something. I'm sure he would be open to it.

He's quoted as saying he doesn't have time for that stuff. That's why he recommended Millard.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#17 : February 09, 2011, 03:02:59 PM

you just don't let future HOFers walk, especially when they want to remain with the team and are willing to take a hometown discount.  It's not like we got any draft picks for him or anything that would have helped this team long term.  It was all about money and where to allocate it.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#18 : February 09, 2011, 03:12:58 PM

It's great to see Sapp still gives a crap about the team that was too cheap to resign him and let him end his career where it started because it valued some stiff named Booger more at the time.

Without question that was one of the worst defensive decisions made by the previous regime. Sapp blamed Monte Kiffen for that whole ordeal and I don't blame him for doing so. Monte chose Booger over Sapp for some crazy reason. I don't think Rod was around when that went down either, IIRC.
While the Booger money was part of it, don't forget that's the off season where Garner, Deese, Steussie, Stinchcomb, and all the other geezers on offenese got signed.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#19 : February 09, 2011, 03:16:15 PM

Like the hire a lot...a LOT!

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#20 : February 09, 2011, 03:17:16 PM

While the Booger money was part of it, don't forget that's the off season where Garner, Deese, Steussie, Stinchcomb, and all the other geezers on offenese got signed.
oh, well I guess I can see letting him go then .  Those guys were well worth it.

nitey

Hall of Famer
#21 : February 09, 2011, 03:21:34 PM

Despite the fact that Warren finished his career as a Raider, he still considers himself a Buc. The Raiders gig was just a paycheck.

That said, that was Monte's call on Sapp. He has taken the blame and he's also admitted that it was the wrong decision. The Bucs couldn't sign both McFarland and Sapp as they were on the cusp of Cap hell and as I remember it - Mckay wanted to resign Sapp. Kiffen, for whatever reason, backed McFarland and the rest is history.

On the bright side, I'm pretty sure we picked up a 3rd or 4th  round compensatory pick for losing Warren and a 2nd when we conned the Colts into taking Booger, still we would have been better off keeping Sapp.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

nitey

Hall of Famer
#22 : February 09, 2011, 03:23:44 PM

BTW, I love the Millard hire as well. Not sure what to think yet of the other guy, but I'll give the FO props for attempting to make sure that they got both aspects of the defensive line covered. Hope the two of them get along well.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

Handiman1031

Second String
#23 : February 10, 2011, 12:13:17 AM

For those that don't know, Millard has already worked with Price.  Seeing as he was our most impressive DL guy in camp last year I'd say he did a pretty good job with Price in the past.  Check out the link to see the players he has worked with:  http://www.coachmillard.com/Keith_Millard_Football_Academy/Players.html

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 10, 2011, 12:21:26 AM

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/content/warren-sapp-urged-bucs-hire-kevin-millard

All I want to know is who the heck is Kevin Millard? Is he by any chance related to the football great Keith Millard?

tbb345

Starter
#25 : February 10, 2011, 01:10:03 AM

I love this hire now. You've got to love the fact that Sapp is backing him so hard. I heard an interview with Cris Collinsworth where he said that Sapp was the most knowledgeable football mind he has ever been around, which is very strong praise. And you know that Sapp's not a BS artist so he obviously believes in Millard very strongly.
By the way, I am now very confident that we will take 2 ends in the first 3 rounds. The guys that we have hired sound like Yarber-types. Millard is obviously a great teacher and Stretz gets a lot of praise for his knowledge of defense by ASU fans. You want to get young guys in to work with these type of teachers.

thanson

Starter

#26 : February 11, 2011, 04:22:45 PM

Like him or not....the media love him...which puts pressure on the glazers to broadcast the games. Keep talkin Sapp...Keep Talkin.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Warren Sapp urged Bucs to hire Kevin Millard « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools